Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smiles of the Dangerous Children

Still Waters

Beverly French stepped outside her home November 25, 2008, dragging a box of Christmas lights she and her husband Bill would soon string across the eaves. Bill had taken his box of lights out back.

The French’s had lived in their home, along a cul-de-sac on the outskirts of a small, Northern California town, about 40 years, and owned a general store/gas station in this town of about 2,000 people.

The day, two days before Thanksgiving, was peaceful. That peace did not last.

“I was sitting on the porch with a box of lights at my feet when I heard someone call out to me,” Beverly said.

“Do you need any help?” the voice asked.

Beverly looked up from untangling strings of lights to find two children on the sidewalk in front of her house. She hadn’t noticed them approach, which was unlikely on this quiet dirt road, engine noise and a cloud of dust advertising visitors. What struck her as even more odd, she didn’t know them.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

The question is what are they? I wish someone was brave enough to let them in the house and talk to them and see what is going on, or at least talk to them and ask them their names and where they are from.

• Like 1

But the people did speak to them, asking their names was a question.

I dont think i would want to be anywhere near them.

Let alone ask them into the house!!

• Like 1

creepy tale eitherway,

i had something vaguely familiar happen 2 me when I was out back splitting wood once... 2 youngish people come up 2 me and just stared at me. (thinking back from later, i am sure they were high on drugs). they stood there for several minutes and then eventually just turned and walked away, but it creeped the hell out of me...

Edited by Bavarian Raven

If this story was meant to scare somebody,it did.ME! good story. :cat:

Edited by greywolf

Scared the heck outta me as well.

I hate seeing dolls faces, the dead looking eyes give me the creeps.

Especially really old dolls which were made with porcelain faces

• Like 1

I hate seeing dolls faces, the dead looking eyes give me the creeps.

Especially really old dolls which were made with porcelain faces

There's a term for that - Pediophobia.

Was going through tabs of these Urban Legends threads I had mouse-wheel clicked. First I thought the haunted Kleenex ad gave me a shiver, but following the link, I guess I had a premonition :(

One of the creepiest tales I've read in a long time, linked it to a few people! I wonder what they would have done if they'd have allowed them to help?

Creepy and odd. It occurs to me that the people who accepted the help may not be in a state to tell the tale - just saying.:unsure2:

I HATE THIS ARTICLE.

My sister was walking past and I told her "Oh man, the idea of black kids is so creepy."

OMGIMEANTBLACKEYEDKIDS

She was shocked and then just kind of walked away. D:

• Like 1

There's a term for that - Pediophobia.

I hate clowns too. They scared the heck outta me as a kid.

I still feel uneasy if i see one on tv :(

• Like 1

I hate clowns too. They scared the heck outta me as a kid.

I still feel uneasy if i see one on tv :(

Coulrophobia

Interesting and it begs to be debunked. Certain hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD and mescaline, and even antidepressants are known to cause extreme pupil dilation and behavioral changes in the individuals using them. And, there is certainly a long history of cults using drugs to achieve spiritual revelation. Other extreme cults promote pain and domination over others in order to gain a sense of power and entitlement. So, having an interaction with these individuals would certainly be at the least very uncomfortable for a "normal" person, particularly so because much of our communication is nonverbal. Subsequently feeling ill after these interactions and having on-going nightmares is a classic stress reaction which does indeed typically wan after several months.

I have to wonder why these people never notice until later the kids eyes are solid black. That would be the first thing I noticed.

Interesting and it begs to be debunked.

We can start with "where are the police reports to show this was actually ever reported?" Even if it was a hoax, a simple police report would have helped make it seem more real.

We can follow with the likelihood that this is merely a skilled writer with a wish to be the next Stephen King.

The question I have is, what in that story gives ANY indication that this even "might" be legitimate and not just a nice little "campfire" horror story?

The story supposedly named the "people" but only identified where they lived as "a small, Northern California town." Why didn't they say what town they lived in? They've moved so there is no possible "threat. The 'scary kids" already knew where they live because they where THERE.

They didn't name the town because the story could easily be checked out in COUNTLESS ways.

Check the police. Did a couple named "French" ever live there? Is the street where they lived close to a highway and just as they described? Were they living there in 2008?

There are loads of things that would need to be worked out if someone writing fiction wanted to pass it off as real. Unless they just didn't name the town and picked a fairly simple name for the people.

It was a nice work of fiction for a blog that thrives on "scary stories." Nothing more I'm afraid (and no, I''m not one who thinks "everything" is fake, but I'm a natural skeptic and it takes a lot more than this to get me to notice - when I "notice" is when i really try to look for "flaws" before I'll ever start to believe).

Scary story!!! Do you think there is any truth to it??? :o

I think someone watched "The Sin Eater" (aka "The Order") with Heath Ledger as a priest.

The movie is from 2003 or 2004.