Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Bloody Mary" Urban Legend Online Case Study!

thekingdomofanarchy

Greetings folklorists and urban legend enthusiasts! I

I am J.J.V., a college student, and my purpose here to perform an online ethnography on urban legends. I have chosen to focus on the ever so popular "Bloody Mary" folktale.

I need participants - you will remain anonymous, you have my word (we can't use real names anyhow) - to briefly, and to the best of your ability, answer a few questions, so that I may conduct my survey, and then write up a report afterwards.

You dont have to participate, but should you choose to help me out, simply provide only your initials, so that I can guarantee your anonymity.

I thank those who choose to partake in this interesting assignment!

Here are the questions to be answered:

1) The Legend that I am focusing on is “Bloody Mary”, also known as “I believe in Mary Wentworth (or Mary Worth, Mary Lou, etc).

2) How do those individuals familiar with the “Bloody Mary” legend talk about, or narrate this particular folktale? (in other words, summarize this legend, in your own words.)

3) How do you, or others interpret its significance (in other words, what is this legend’s moral value and/or lessons to be learned), in your own words?

4) Who (in your opinion) is attracted to this particular legend, and why? (Example – young women at social gatherings/parties, is what usually comes to mind, when I think of “Bloody Mary” participants).

5) What are the key aspects, or rituals involved in the “Bloody Mary” urban legend? ( in other words, what do people do, step by step, when performing the “Bloody Mary” ritual?)

6) WHY are they doing it? (What sparked their desire to summon the alleged spirit of Mary – peer pressure, curiosity, and/or simply a whole lot of alcohol?)

7) How does this legend provide a sense of meaning/purpose to urban legend enthusiasts and folklorists worldwide?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ealdwita

• thekingdomofanarchy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was discussed a little while ago. Go to page 6 on this board and you'll see the title 'Bloody Mary'. (Sorry, I can't get the link to work.)