Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Mr_Snstr

Gas Prices Haven't Risen

Mr_Snstr

Source - Psst: It's Still About a Buck a Gallon

Find an inflation calculator; for example the federal government’s Bureau of Labor statistics CPI (Consumer Price Index) calculator (click here) . Select 1980 as your starting year. Enter $1.25 – about what a gallon of gas cost in 1980. Select 2011 – the most recent year the calculator allows. Click “calculate” and prepare for a surprise – one that will also provide a heretical insight into the nature of our economy as well as debunk a politically correct piece of conventional wisdom.

Wait, I’ll save you the trouble. The amount that comes up is $3.43 – which is what the BLS calculator says is the buying power of $1.25 in 1980 money today.

What does it mean?

First, it means that gas prices today, in real terms, are about the same as they were in 1980. You may be paying more in terms of the number of dollars, but you’re really paying the same in terms of the value of your money.

Thoughts?

questionmark

Fact, but one should not be surprised after the "quantitative easing" of the FED, which means nothing but printing more money, and the more there is of something having the same counter value the less it is worth individually.

But for at least the last three years the dollar was used to pay for raw materials, but the US economy and therefore the value of the dollar was not instrumental in finding the market value, that is much more decided by other currencies like the yuan or the Euro, if any of those loose value so do, as a general rule, raw materials.

DieChecker

Seems about right to me. I've not had a problem with gas prices. They seem high, but hell, a comic book in 1980 was like 50 cents and is now over 4 or 5 dollars for some. A candy bar was like 25 cents and now is like 150 cents. So a 4 dollar gallon of gas seems about right to me.

and then

And many want the fed to help with additional "easing". If it continues the middle class will be "eased" out of existence. :blink:

lightly

sure wish i'd have saved a bunch of those1980 dollars.. they were worth a LOT more! :lol:

... I remember when gas was 25¢ a gallon! .. it came out of big green dinosaurs.. and flying horses!

..you sure it hasn't risen ? :rofl:

Varelse

And minimum wage is only half what it was in 75.

questionmark

And minimum wage is only half what it was in 75.

And given the economic situation then and now we have the demonstration that minimum wages have little to do with average well being of the economy... to the contrary of some claims.

Varelse

And given the economic situation then and now we have the demonstration that minimum wages have little to do with average well being of the economy... to the contrary of some claims.

Yeah, just pointing out how bad min wage sucks. More like rambling.