Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Costa Concordia Disaster

psyche101

Has anyone else heard that the captain purposely steered closer to shore so a chief waiter could wave at a friend? I heard the story and couldn't believe all this chaos over something so innocent but foolish. Regardless of how it happened he should have been last man off. He accepted the rank, position, respect and compensation. He also has the responsibility by law and tradition to save his passengers.

On the box yesterday...a British Admiral stated that the Captain had the ship steer to one cable length of the shore to show off the ship to friends.That's 185 metres.

The Admiral said it was madness to take such a huge ship so close to rocks,and that the only time he would have done this was in a wartime situation. Where an evacuation of those on shore was essential and would save many lives at the risk of his ship.

Edited by zebra99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassea

• Beckys_Mom

• psyche101

• Robbie333

He fell off the ship when it tipped over. He stayed by the ship.

You actually believe that the Captain "fell" into a life boat?

A Captain should indeed go down with his ship. If he is not prepared to do so, he should not take the job on it is as simple as that. He was responsible for all the people in danger, but he took off. That is a coward, that is worth of a with hunt. He should not leave until those he is responsible for are safe. Only then should he leave the ship. You know the old saying, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen? The Coast Guard knew what his responsibilities were, and outlined them. He took the ship off course, and he is responsible for the disaster. He should have at least tried to make sure everyone was OK before worrying about his own hide. Scared? What about the passengers?

That's how it came across to me as well. That people just jumped on this without using common sense. Seems to me the land based Captain didn't understand what the other one was saying. How in the heck is supposed to climb back into a tipped over Cruise liner. Does anyone realize how huge this boat is? He's telling him to go to the ladder. The captain is telling him the boat is sideways. We'll see once the media frenzy dies down. It's just a shame when people pass on bad reporting. I almost feel bad for the Captain. :ph34r:

He was supposed to get back on board the stricken ship via the ladder on the prow that people were using to evacuate whilst he sat in a nice safe lifeboat that he fell into. If you read the transcript with the Coast Guard, listed, as well as linked in the OP, the Coast Guard told him to get up that very ladder. He knew how to get back on board, but left women and children to drown.

You actually believe that the Captain "fell" into a life boat?

Wasn't it so convenient .. fell out of the ship and conveniently ..... into a lifeboat !!! I doubt many believe him..

Cassea.

From what I have read and seen on the news, the ship was taken off course by the Captain to sail closer to the island. Apparently this is not the first time that this company has done such a thing.

On nearing the island, the ship struck a rock creating a hole in the side of the ship. This is possibly what caused the power surge.The Captain then did a U-turn to try and get the boat into more shallow water, probably to prevent it from completely sinking. This would appear to me to be a sensible thing to do and probably saved quite a few lives.From what I can see, it is the only commendable thing in his favour.

Once the boat started to list to the side, passengers were told to abandon ship, but by this time it was difficult to lower the lifeboats due to the listing angle of the ship. Lifeboats should have been lowered whilst it was safe, and easier to do, ie, when the boat was still upright.

A couple of days after the incident, the Captaiin has said that he ''accidentally fell into a lifeboat'' This could just be the Captain trying to save his skin. In my opinion he should have made eery effort to get back on board the ship to assist those passengers and crew still on board.

I do not believe that a Captain should ''go down with his ship' but I do believe he should be there until such time as no further passengers or crew can be rescued, for whatever reason.

I dont think we should be jumping to conclusions and hanging the Captain before ALL the witnesses have been interviewed to find out exactly what happened.

However, the simple truth of the matter is this. The Captain should not have veered off course to get closer to the island. If he had stuck to the original course we would not be discussing this now and the Captain would not be (possibly) facing manslaughter charges along with a few other maritime offences thrown in.

I have to say, assuming it was accurately translated, I don't know how much authority the Italian coastgaurd have, but that captain de Falco comes across as a little arrogant, especially if he was speaking from Livorno; how could he presume to know more about what was going on than one on the spot?

It did not start out like that:

Coastguard official, Captain Gregorio De Falco (CG): “Hello. This is De Falco from Livorno, am I speaking with the captain?”

Captain Francesco Schettino (FS): “Yes, good evening Captain De Falco.”

CG: “Am I speaking with the captain? Please tell me your name.”

FS: “This is captain Schettino.”

CG: “Schettino? Listen Schettino, there are people trapped on board. Now you need to go on your lifeboat, under the bow of the ship on the side. There is a ladder. You need to climb up the ladder and board the ship. Get on board and report to me how many people there are. Is that clear? I am recording this conversation, captain Schettino.”

FS: “Captain, let me tell you one thing...”

CG: “Speak up!”

FS: “The ship, at this moment...”

CG: “Captain, speak up! Shield the microphone with your hand and speak louder, clear?”

FS: “At this moment the ship is tilted.”

CG: “I understand.

As the Coast Guard tried to get the Captain to do his duty, and he kept making up weak excuses - for over an hour - they became frustrated. Heck, anyone would. I mean lives are at stake here, every second counts, and you have this captain that left his responsibility now making excuses to get away from the disaster and save his own sorry hide. Would you not be frustrated, and attempt to control the situation somehow? Someone had to care, and that someone was not the Captain.

Also, he did know more than the Captain did.

CG: “Schettino? Listen Schettino, there are people trapped on board. Now you need to go on your lifeboat, under the bow of the ship on the side. There is a ladder. You need to climb up the ladder and board the ship. Get on board and report to me how many people there are. Is that clear? I am recording this conversation, captain Schettino.”

CG: “Go. Call me when you are on board. My air rescue team is there. He is at

the bow. Get going. There are already corpses Schettino. Move!”

FS: “How many dead are there?”

CG: “Excuse me but earlier it was just you and your sailor and now you are telling me that you are there with the officers. So you could have continued the evacuation? Why don’t you go back on board and see what is happening and then tell us?

FS: “At the moment...”

I think it is probably a miracle than more did not perish.

Wasn't it so convenient .. fell out of the ship and conveniently ..... into a lifeboat !!! I doubt many believe him..

The worst part is he then sat in it for an hour!

FS: “I want to get on board the ship but the other lifeboat has stopped its engine and it is drifting and I called other rescuers.”

CG: “It’s already one hour you are telling me this. Now, get on board. Get on board! And you tell me how many people there are.”

And that was not the end of the transcript!

Sounds like a rather convenient excuse, doesn't it ...

Anyway, Costa seem to be pulling out all the stops to try to salvage something from this from a PR point of view ...

Adding insult to injury

Costa director accuses ship survivors of 'sensationalism'

Passenger reports are nonsense, she claims

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/19/costa-concordia-tragedy-cruise-director-schettino_n_1215711.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D92821

:rolleyes:

I'm wondering whether Carnival Corp might not want to start thinking about dropping Costa from their portfolio ...

That is bold as brass isn't it! Crikey!

r-COSTA-CONCORDIA-large570.jpg

That looks pretty sensationalist, I think the people are justified to be honest.

"I have read, seen and heard so much nonsense with bitterness, just from these survivors, who tended as usual towards sensationalism rather than information," Bova said.

They expected a glowing report with recommendations?????????

People are dead, and this is "sensationalist"? Who are these people trying to kid?

Has anyone else heard that the captain purposely steered closer to shore so a chief waiter could wave at a friend? I heard the story and couldn't believe all this chaos over something so innocent but foolish. Regardless of how it happened he should have been last man off. He accepted the rank, position, respect and compensation. He also has the responsibility by law and tradition to save his passengers.

I found this:

LINK - Did a Facebook prank sink the ill-fated Costa Concordia?

Captain navigated the ship close to land in a pre-planned stunt documented on the social networking site

The captain of the doomed Italian cruise liner deliberately steered the ship close to land in a pre-planned stunt documented on Facebook, according to the UK Telegraph.

Even as the Costa Concordia's owners accused their captain of veering too close to shore in a bravura "salute" to residents of a Tuscan island, Giglio, fresh leads have come from an unlikely source - Facebook.

According to the daily, the captain made the disastrous and unauthorisied decision to move close to the island as a favour to the chief waiter who hails from the island and wanted to wave to his family members.

Apparently, minutes before the tragedy struck, the waiter's sister posted on Facebook, "In a short period of time the Concordia ship will pass very close. A big greeting to my brother who finally get to have a holiday on landing in Savona."

A judge will decide later today whether the captain should remain jailed.

"We are struck by the unscrupulousness of the reckless manoeuvre that the commander of the Costa Concordia made near the island of Giglio," prosecutor Francesco Verusio told reporters. "It was inexcusable."

The death toll from the disaster has gone up to seven after the cruise liner ran aground off the coast of Italy, daily La Stampa said on its website.

ETA And this

Costa Concordia “Showing Off”

This is not from the Disaster, it is the same Captain on the same boat pulling this stunt in the Port of Giglio last year. He seems to have a history of bad behavior.

from the link

The following is video shot in August 2011 showing the Costa Concordia “showing off” close to shore near the Port of Giglio. The sometimes risky maneuver by cruise ships where they pass close to shore with lights and foghorn blasting for the shoreside population is being investigated as a possible reason why the ship steered off course.

[media]http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-showing-off/?37739

LINK - Maritime News from gCaptain.com - This link seems pretty comprehensive.

Edited by psyche101

It's a horrible thing to happen.

I served as a petty officer on a cruise ship, so this is a heartbreak and I can't believe it happened :no:

My heart goes out to the families and friends :(

Edited by sarah snow

I dont think we should be jumping to conclusions and hanging the Captain

Can I ask where does this come from? Is this a case of me stating in my 1st post what they used to do..and later explaining that it may have been the Navy in olden times, because they took it seriously from what I read?? If so.. then I have not suggested he should be hung...Nothing of the sort...I noted what I once had read on how captain would have been dealt with long ago.in the olden days and I also explained later that it could have been linked to the Navy and not to quote me on it

.. I was in no way suggesting anyone should get hung.. I feel that my 1st post was read too much into and throw out as something else... ..But I just wanted to clear that up.. I noticed since I mentioned how they used to deal with it a lot of posts seem to go on about how he shouldn't be hung or face death over it..

IF you are not referring to my post at all and you meant something else.. then ignore this post ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Can I ask where does this come from? Is this a case of me stating in my 1st post what they used to do..and later explaining that it may have been the Navy in olden times, because they took it seriously from what I read?? If so.. then I have not suggested he should be hung...Nothing of the sort...I noted what I once had read on how captain would have been dealt with long ago.in the olden days and I also explained later that it could have been linked to the Navy and not to quote me on it

.. I was in no way suggesting anyone should get hung.. I feel that my 1st post was read too much into and throw out as something else... ..But I just wanted to clear that up.. I noticed since I mentioned how they used to deal with it a lot of posts seem to go on about how he shouldn't be hung or face death over it..

IF you are not referring to my post at all and you meant something else.. then ignore this post ..

Hi BM

My actual words were these:-

''I dont think we should be jumping to conclusions and hanging the Captain before ALL the witnesses have been interviewed to find out exactly what happened.''

In the UK, to say ''hanging them'' is just a figure of speach. Maybe what I should have said was, ''we should not judge or condemn the Captain until all the facts are known''

My response in the thread was not from anything you had previously stated :)

edit.....now that I have explained, I will ignore your post as requested lol :P

Edited by Englishgent

Hi BM

My actual words were these:-

''I dont think we should be jumping to conclusions and hanging the Captain before ALL the witnesses have been interviewed to find out exactly what happened.''

In the UK, to say ''hanging them'' is just a figure of speach. Maybe what I should have said was, ''we should not judge or condemn the Captain until all the facts are known''

My response in the thread was not from anything you had previously stated :)

edit.....now that I have explained, I will ignore your post as requested lol :P

tongue.gif Fair enough.. Glad to see it was not taken from anything I said... I just hate it when my posts are read into the wrong way lol ....But thank you for clearing that up

BTW all the witness will be interviewed.. but the recordings from that tape and the statement given by the acting captain at the time, has more or less sunk this other captain...he is sinking fast as it is.... I cannot see anything really going in his favour ... We are judging on what we read and hear from those who were in 1st contact with him and who have already been interviewed .......I think it is our right to judge what we come to read...I do not for a sec believe this captain is innocent.. I believe in what the officer and the other captain who did actually stay behind and help out... that what this captain did was a disgrace......

. The tape recordings throw hard impact to it all .

.. ...........None of this can ever escape the fact that what he did was wrong.. he should have stayed on board.to make sure all was ok. and when he was in the life boat that he conveniently fell into.. he was in it for an hour.. and was told several times to get back on board.. the evidence to this is very clear.... even if you wish to hold out for those one or two witness statements.. he will still go down in the end..The charges he faces due to the evidence so far are too devastating to say the least

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I don't know how many cruise ships or liners Cassea has been on. Not many I'm figuring but hey I could be wrong.

I'm in my cabin doing whatever then the ship starts listing - BADLY - then I expect the deck officers to be on the bridge or heading there to do their job.

I don't expect the Capitano to trip into a lifeboat and wave at me from the shore.

All this stuff about the Titanic is a real PR job since the Titanic went down 100 years ago this April. Anyone hear commemorative cruises to the Atlantic?

Just not with this loser as captain.He's a disgrace. His actions were disgraceful and I don't understand why anyone would waste time defending the bozo.

Edited by Antilles

It's strange earlier someone posted only part of the conversation of the Captain. That would be considered unethical in media. But if you read here. The captain didn't abandon the ship. He fell off the ship when the ship listed and pulled himself into a lifeboat with others. They are asking him to climb back into a boat that is tipped on its side. He said he is coordinating. So he didn't leave as has been reported. He also states that it is dark and that he can't see. So he's thrown from the ship. The ship is on its side. He can't see. But he's a coward for not going back on board? That's a pretty easy judgment to make from the comfort of our own homes.

The captain did not fall off the ship into the lifeboat. That's totally ridiculous. In fact, there's a woman from my hometown (who is still in Liverno btw) who was dining in the diningroom at the table next to the captains and she watched him BOLT from the diningroom and get into the lifeboat. He was one of the first off. BEFORE the boat listed over. This is part of hte reason she's still in Italy, she was a witness.

I have to say, assuming it was accurately translated, I don't know how much authority the Italian coastgaurd have, but that captain de Falco comes across as a little arrogant, especially if he was speaking from Livorno; how could he presume to know more about what was going on than one on the spot?

It's not the coast guard, it's the Port Authority, they have all the power in the world to tell the capitan what to do. It's the same as airports. When a plane goes down, the Port Authority guides the pilots and the pilots are required to comply.

He fell off the ship when it tipped over. He stayed by the ship.

No he didn't. Physics says if that had happened, he'd have fallen the other way. Not too mention that many of these boats have anywhere from 9-17 decks... they're like floating skyscrapers. A fall off that side of the ship would have killed him and it would be a damn miracle if he'd landed unscathed in a lifeboat. The captain should have been heading to the bridge to conduct the evacuation anyway, NOT the escape ladder.

International maritime law says the captain and crew are suppose to stay onboard to conduct the evacuation process. They are not to leave the ship until all survivors are safely away. This is where the saying "The Captain goes down with the ship" comes from.

Cassea.

From what I have read and seen on the news, the ship was taken off course by the Captain to sail closer to the island. Apparently this is not the first time that this company has done such a thing.

On nearing the island, the ship struck a rock creating a hole in the side of the ship. This is possibly what caused the power surge.The Captain then did a U-turn to try and get the boat into more shallow water, probably to prevent it from completely sinking. This would appear to me to be a sensible thing to do and probably saved quite a few lives.From what I can see, it is the only commendable thing in his favour.

Once the boat started to list to the side, passengers were told to abandon ship, but by this time it was difficult to lower the lifeboats due to the listing angle of the ship. Lifeboats should have been lowered whilst it was safe, and easier to do, ie, when the boat was still upright.

A couple of days after the incident, the Captaiin has said that he ''accidentally fell into a lifeboat'' This could just be the Captain trying to save his skin. In my opinion he should have made eery effort to get back on board the ship to assist those passengers and crew still on board.

I do not believe that a Captain should ''go down with his ship' but I do believe he should be there until such time as no further passengers or crew can be rescued, for whatever reason.

I dont think we should be jumping to conclusions and hanging the Captain before ALL the witnesses have been interviewed to find out exactly what happened.

However, the simple truth of the matter is this. The Captain should not have veered off course to get closer to the island. If he had stuck to the original course we would not be discussing this now and the Captain would not be (possibly) facing manslaughter charges along with a few other maritime offences thrown in.

Hey Englishgent. I agree with this. I also don't see any proof that the captain said he "fell into a life boat." Those words are exaggerations of others. You can read the transcript provided. At no time did he say he "fell into a lifeboat." It's sad to see how people don't read any more. And how people can be so easily manipulated into a frenzy. When the facts don't match. They ignore them. And proceed on with their terrible story. I do agree that if he took the ship off course. He should go to jail. For the rest of his life. But I don't understand the blood lust. That would want a person to get back on the boat. And die. Just to make a point. Every life that could be saved from this should be saved. I feel for the people who died. But killing another person won't solve that. Also he seemed to be not sure what to do. I don't see what he would have been able to do. Even if he did get back on the boat. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

The captain did not fall off the ship into the lifeboat. That's totally ridiculous. In fact, there's a woman from my hometown (who is still in Liverno btw) who was dining in the diningroom at the table next to the captains and she watched him BOLT from the diningroom and get into the lifeboat. He was one of the first off. BEFORE the boat listed over. This is part of hte reason she's still in Italy, she was a witness.

It's not the coast guard, it's the Port Authority, they have all the power in the world to tell the capitan what to do. It's the same as airports. When a plane goes down, the Port Authority guides the pilots and the pilots are required to comply.

No he didn't. Physics says if that had happened, he'd have fallen the other way. Not too mention that many of these boats have anywhere from 9-17 decks... they're like floating skyscrapers. A fall off that side of the ship would have killed him and it would be a damn miracle if he'd landed unscathed in a lifeboat. The captain should have been heading to the bridge to conduct the evacuation anyway, NOT the escape ladder.

International maritime law says the captain and crew are suppose to stay onboard to conduct the evacuation process. They are not to leave the ship until all survivors are safely away. This is where the saying "The Captain goes down with the ship" comes from.

This is fascinating Miss Mells Wells. Actual witness statements are what we need. I am glad your friend is ok. One thing that I do think. Is interesting in the phone transcript. Is that all his crew were with him. That sent up a red chicken for me.

This is fascinating Miss Mells Wells. Actual witness statements are what we need. I am glad your friend is ok. One thing that I do think. Is interesting in the phone transcript. Is that all his crew were with him. That sent up a red chicken for me.

OH she's not anyone I know... she's just a gal who was on a trip with her friend there and they've been interviewing her on the local radio and tv stations here.

I have seen the Concordia before though... I went on a Princess Cruise (the Ruby Princess, which is HUGE) a couple of years ago in the same area. The Concordia was in port with us a few times on our trip. In Mykonos and I believe again in Venice. It's actually one of the smaller-mid sized ships. The ship I was on was twice the size of the Concordia at least.

This is not the first time a Captain has abandoned ship before seeing to the safety of the passengers...

Back in 1965 the SS Yarmouth Castle caught fire and burned then sank killing 87 people...of which only two were crew... a Stewardess and the ships doctor... The Captain was found in the first life boat recovered - along with several of his crew (only 4 people in the boat were passengers the rest crew!)...

The Captain of the ship Finnpulp (sp?) - who found him, refused to allow him on board and ordered him to 'go back and look for survivors'... rather like the Italian Coast Guard Captain did...

While there are not many similarities between the Yarmouth Castle and the Costa Concordia tragedies... both had Captains who were delerelect in their duty and both of whom 'saved themselves' rather than their passengers...

One of my uncles was on one of the ships that tried to help the 'Castle' as it burned.. and he seldom talked about it.. .but he did mention watching burning people run around on the ships decks as they died in the flames...

Maritime people (both Civil and Military) are VERY firm on some things - regardless of nationality... and the duties of the Captian is one of them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Yarmouth_Castle

Edited by Taun

This is a terrible tragedy. I am absolutely terrified. Just thinking about it. I watched a video of the sinking of the Estonia. It was unbelievable.

I do not think he should be put to death either,In fact I would never suggest it... I just noted something that I once read years ago about how this sort of thing was dealt with in the past ..I think it was from the Navy on how they used to deal with matters like this or similar.. They took it all very seriously.. Do not quote me on that..I just read it somewhere long time ago...

The rest of the story gets ridiculous ... Take a look at this for what he media call a bizarre excuse

Captain Coward: 'I only left because I FELL into lifeboat when ship listed suddenly as I was trying to help'

Schettino made his bizarre excuse for leaving the ship during a three-hour court hearing in the mainland town of Grosseto before his release.

He told investigating magistrate Valeria Montesarchio: 'The passengers were rushing all over the decks trying to scramble into the lifeboats. I didn't even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers – I was trying to get them into the lifeboats in an orderly fashion. All of a sudden the boat listed between 60-70 degrees. I tripped and ended up in one of the lifeboats. That's why I was in there.'

Schettino's behaviour has already been called into question after dramatic audio tapes revealed how a furious harbour official had ordered him back on to the bridge to oversee the rescue, after he was shocked to learn he had already left the Concordia despite dozens of passengers still needing help.

The claims come as rescue divers suspended their search after the ship slipped 'a few more centimetres' from its rocky resting place, sparking fears it could soon plummet 100m down to the bottom of the sea.

It goes on to read...

Another hero to emerge is Captain Roberto Bosio, who was off duty on the Concordia and gave the order to abandon ship after Schettino delayed for 45 minutes. He said: 'Only a disgraceful man would have left all those people on board.'

As Schettino faces the prospect of charges of multiple manslaughter, causing shipwreck and abandoning ship, the devastating transcript of Friday night's events appeared to make a mockery of his claims that he had 'saved' lives.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1jwrprxln

I find his excuse just as the media report as bizarre and so convenient that he FELL off the ship and ........into a lifeboat !!

The paper reads when the ship 1st hit the rocks, he was having dinner with some woman at the time...and once he heard about it, he still wanted to finish his meal and asked the chef - where's my drink?

Captain or not, I would have stayed to help. Yes, we are not all made like that but...the only way I would have left--and I am speaking as a passenger--is if I had family on board. I would have attempted to get them to land. Still and again. The captain of a ship stays with the ship until all are rescued or dead, period. " Fell into a life-boat my ass". The more I read about him the more I feel he was out for himself. JMO

Edited by Robbie333

Captain or not, I would have stayed to help.

I know you would Robbie..it's your nature..

" Fell into a life-boat my ass". The more I read about him the more I feel he was out for himself. JMO

laugh.gif @ fell into a life boat my as* lol... I know it is just plain absurd.. how can anyone swallow that?

I don't know how many cruise ships or liners Cassea has been on. Not many I'm figuring but hey I could be wrong.

I'm in my cabin doing whatever then the ship starts listing - BADLY - then I expect the deck officers to be on the bridge or heading there to do their job.

I don't expect the Capitano to trip into a lifeboat and wave at me from the shore.

I know.. it would be a shock ...There you are on a sinking ship.. you look over and there is the captain waving at you from a lifeboat.. you would think WTF?

Edited by Beckys_Mom