Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Habitat

Your whole life flashing before your eyes....

Habitat

"My whole life flashed before my eyes in seconds "....... This has almost entered the language as a cliche, I have heard it from people at first hand and probably thought they were just parroting it( having seen it in movies and documentaries) to embellish a tale of terror. But there is just too much reportage of this phenomenon to dismiss it as dramatic licence. And it is sheer terror, the absolute belief that you are about to lose your life ( but obviously don't), that can precipitate it. I was intrigued watching a doco about the WWII submarine war, to hear a report from a German submariner who was the only man to survive a sunken U-boat sitting on the bottom in a couple hundred feet of water. He managed to open a loading hatch for torpedoes and reach the surface. He was adamant that he had relived his entire life in those few seconds, as he made his dramatic escape ! No, not bits and pieces, and highlights and milestones, but every single damn thing that ever happened to him ! It seems incredible, but I have a very real sense that there is something very important for our understanding of reality, and particularly Time and our perception of it, in these strange happenings. What to make of it ? :hmm:

Edited by Habitat

White Crane Feather

"My whole life flashed before my eyes in seconds "....... This has almost entered the language as a cliche, I have heard it from people at first hand and probably thought they were just parroting it( having seen it in movies and documentaries) to embellish a tale of terror. But there is just too much reportage of this phenomenon to dismiss it as dramatic licence. And it is sheer terror, the absolute belief that you are about to lose your life ( but obviously don't), that can precipitate it. I was intrigued watching a doco about the WWII submarine war, to hear a report from a German submariner who was the only man to survive a sunken U-boat sitting on the bottom in a couple hundred feet of water. He managed to open a loading hatch for torpedoes and reach the surface. He was adamant that he had relived his entire life in those few seconds, as he made his dramatic escape ! No, not bits and pieces, and highlights and milestones, but every single damn thing that ever happened to him ! It seems incredible, but I have a very real sense that there is something very important for our understanding of reality, and particularly Time and our perception of it, in these strange happenings. What to make of it ? :hmm:

It's obviously happening. Many of the stories I have heard happen during NDEs.... But yes some while in terror.

I find it fascinating that one of the first experiences we have as we aproach death is one of self reflection. Very very interesting.

karmakazi

I think there could be two phenomena at work... both described in this way.

The first and more obvious is the life review reported by NDE'ers, that they are shown the events of their life usually while in the presence of a guide or something they perceive to be Christ, usually with the added benefit of experiencing the things they have done from the perspective of others or seeing how their actions rippled out into the lives of others. I feel that this point is the distinction between the two kinds of seeing your life again.

The other comes from my enjoyment of screwing with the concept of time and how our brains perceive it :D

If someone is startled or basically thrown swiftly into a life or death situation, in the process of all the adrenaline releases and other chemical things happening in the brain, the entire conscious memory of their life lights up within the mind and at that moment they suddenly become aware of every single memory they've ever had, memories that usually are triggered one at a time by sights, sounds, smells, or thoughts. Because we aren't used to having access to every single detail of our lives, it would have to be quite an experience!

Along the same concept another possibility is that if we are terrified enough or that certain of our impending doom, our perceptive walls between past and present drop, or we pull slightly out of our normal conscious awareness of time, making us immediately aware of the entire span of our lives.

I've had a few moments in my life where I was pretty sure I was about to die but I've never experienced an NDE or had my life flash before my eyes... so I guess I haven't been sure enough! Most of those incidents were my own doing too, being reckless.

White Crane Feather

I'm curiouse to wether a life review can be induced via creating an OBE. I'll give it a shot one day. That seems like quit an adventure.

FlyingAngel

What do you think if I tell you that your current life you are experiencing right now is a flash/review of your dying life; that you are currently in a dream/OBE with the maximum consciousness as possible; that the universe has a way to make one's life, which is on the edge of death, immortal by sending the consciousness of a body to a consciousness inside a dream

papadad

What do you think if I tell you that your current life you are experiencing right now is a flash/review of your dying life; that you are currently in a dream/OBE with the maximum consciousness as possible; that the universe has a way to make one's life, which is on the edge of death, immortal by sending the consciousness of a body to a consciousness inside a dream

Interesting way to look at things.

elpensador

I think there could be two phenomena at work... both described in this way.

The first and more obvious is the life review reported by NDE'ers, that they are shown the events of their life usually while in the presence of a guide or something they perceive to be Christ, usually with the added benefit of experiencing the things they have done from the perspective of others or seeing how their actions rippled out into the lives of others. I feel that this point is the distinction between the two kinds of seeing your life again.

The other comes from my enjoyment of screwing with the concept of time and how our brains perceive it :D

If someone is startled or basically thrown swiftly into a life or death situation, in the process of all the adrenaline releases and other chemical things happening in the brain, the entire conscious memory of their life lights up within the mind and at that moment they suddenly become aware of every single memory they've ever had, memories that usually are triggered one at a time by sights, sounds, smells, or thoughts. Because we aren't used to having access to every single detail of our lives, it would have to be quite an experience!

Along the same concept another possibility is that if we are terrified enough or that certain of our impending doom, our perceptive walls between past and present drop, or we pull slightly out of our normal conscious awareness of time, making us immediately aware of the entire span of our lives.

I've had a few moments in my life where I was pretty sure I was about to die but I've never experienced an NDE or had my life flash before my eyes... so I guess I haven't been sure enough! Most of those incidents were my own doing too, being reckless.

I'd have very good experience with regression to past lives. I've had few sessions with a Hypnotherapist here in London.

At the beginning I didn't know what to think, but having had it few times, I know believe we have lived before. I can tell you I saw myself living numerous lives in different times. Having different jobs, being man, woman. My lives: 1) just before this present life, I lived in Holland, I was wearing hippy clothing (it was the 60's), I was a photographer and died drown. 2) man, living in London, 1752 approx, wearing white wig, worked in a newspaper printing press 3) man, soldier in France, cover with metal armour, carring a heavy spade in a battle field, lots of dead men, sweet blood smell 4) english young man, but living in the south of France, played the hapsichord, married the woman that is my wife today 5) woman, time, not sure, old times, housewife in one of the soviet union countries. Really fascinating stuff.

That hypnotherapist doesn't charge much I have to tell you. Have skype, otherwise can guide you over the phone. I know she is building website her name Isabel Hunt.