Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The great organic food myth/scam.

George Ford

Quote from article ~ "They're not healthier or better for the environment – and they're packed with pesticides. In an age of climate change and shortages, these foods are an indugence the world can't afford, argues environmental expert Rob Johnston"

Full article here:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/the-great-organic-myths-why-organic-foods-are-an-indulgence-the-world-cant-afford-818585.html

Quite an interesting read, I can't wait for the organic food farmers to reply. Also I find it hard to believe that greenhouse grown tomatoes in the UK cost more in terms of 'climate consequence' to grow rather then importing them all the way from Kenya? Was transport costs taken into account?

Very interesting. One up for those of us who refuse to buy organic, and the reasons why :)

I'm an organic grower. But I think a critical point is that I only grow on a "home scale". And yep, I totally champion organic growing on that scale.

I think that in general once it scales up into the farming monsters of commercial scale, there are faults in both organic and non organic methods. And in general, people don't usually know what goes into commercial organic farming any more than they know what goes into non organic farming.

• Like 4

I'm an organic grower. But I think a critical point is that I only grow on a "home scale". And yep, I totally champion organic growing on that scale.

I think that in general once it scales up into the farming monsters of commercial scale, there are faults in both organic and non organic methods. And in general, people don't usually know what goes into commercial organic farming any more than they know what goes into non organic farming.

very true and well said... :)

small scale organic gardening, you can get incredible amounts of food from a small bit of land...but once it's scaled up...its not very different from any other method of farming

• Like 1

After applying for organic status, growing shiitake mushrooms, I have no respect for the organic label. It is a sham that means nothing.

• Like 1

When I was in the hospital recovering from an injury. My mother's friend kept trying to get her to buy Juice Plus. She kept talking about organic health and how wonderful it was. My mother was so worried for me. She also wanted to thank her friend for trying to help. So she signed up. It turned out to be a pyramid scheme. My mother was so upset. She felt her friend took advantage of her. Now everytime my father hears "organic" he turns red.

• Like 1

It's like the whole Ostrich egg/meat scam from the late 80's early 90's.

I want to try ostrich soo bad

I love how people advertise "organic food" as if what we've been eating for years is actually fake food.

• Like 1

try eating an organic diet over the period of say, a year....anyone who doesnt notice remarkable health benefits, are not doing it properly.i have noticed first hand how organic foods can benefit over all well being , but mostly the improvement of my teeth, ask any dentist, people who eat organic foods, simply have better teeth.

What is the difference between a carrot in the supermarket labelled as organic, and a carrot in a supermarket without the label?

Apart from the packaging and the price that is.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I would like to know what the actual physical difference is, and how that difference can be responsible for any effects on the body.

I would be interested if there are any direct proven benefits. However I get the feeling it is pseudo-scientific fad like so many 'health' initiatives.

i dug up half my front lawn a few years ago and have had an organic garden every summer since. i love it.

• 1 month later...

I thought companies slapped an 'organic' sticker on their products to get hippes/indies to buy it. Seems to have worked.

• Like 1

try eating an organic diet over the period of say, a year....anyone who doesnt notice remarkable health benefits, are not doing it properly.i have noticed first hand how organic foods can benefit over all well being , but mostly the improvement of my teeth, ask any dentist, people who eat organic foods, simply have better teeth.

Perhaps you're simply eating better?

I had a friend who made that exact claim, and I pointed out that was spending the same amount of money, buying less food, and had lost a good 10 pounds without even trying that summer.

Now, in all fairness, there are those who have mild allergies to certain pesticides. Nothing major, often accepted without even knowing that they are being affected, until they go on a pesticide-free diet and experience life without constant internal toxic warfare.

Unfortunately, they then make the mistake of mistaking "Organic" with "Pesticide-Free"

Gotta love it.

The standards for organic anything,were purposely lowered by the FDA and USDA,to be able to market inferior quality foods,and label them organic ,and charge more for them.

Organic meat,by definition,is meat from an animal that hasn't gotten a hormone or antibiotic ,for 2 weeks,as in 14 days.

Said animal has probably gotten antib and steroid for months.

Does anyone actually believe all that stuff will be out of their systems,in 14 days?

The USDA is now forcing Whole Food markets in the USA,to carry inferior products.

They are genetically modifying cows ,as we speak ,to produce less methane,which will bring on more problems than negating the methane is worth .

Farmers markets are the way to go.

Buy directly from small farms,or grow your own.

Raw milk only,from grass fed small farm cows,where the farmer knows every cows name,and they dont sell the calves for veal.

Obama is trying to make raw milk illegal,and raw milk farmers are being bullied out of business.

You can tell if a vegetable is truely organic,by looking at that little sticker they have,or the labels .

There's a 4 or 5 digit number .

If the label # starts with an 8,its GMO.

If the label # starts with a 4,but is labeled organic,its been grown under normal farming conditions.

If the number starts with a 9,it is truely organic,and grown on a farm,that is as green as it can possibly be.

And do note,GMO crops,can be grown organically,but the seeds are still genetically modified .

So the FDA lowers the standards,and organic farming ,is still organic farming,but they site organic goods,wherein,they lowered that standards for labeling purposes,and then try to put real organic farmers out of business.

Don't believe everything you read negating organic farming.With all the negative press Monsanto is getting for bashing farmers,organic or not,they have to bash them all a bit to make the boo boo hurt to away.

I believe nothing the FDA claims,and claimed be very leery of the regular putting down of anything more natural .

Its propaganda ,and that's all.

Edited by missymoo999

Perhaps you're simply eating better?

Let the taste speak for itself.

My organic market gets a lot of their produce from here:

http://www.rutizfarms.com/

The taste is incredible ,compared to anything you can get ,at even whole foods.

The blue carrots,you dont even have to scrape the outer skin off,to eat them raw.

You can tell from the taste.

Do you know,that tomatoes adverted as hydroponically grown,have their roots in pure chemical,not water.

Hot house beefsteak tomatoes,are completely artificial,and taste it.

The term "organic" do not in any way say if the food itself is good or bad.

Sometimes it looks as if people do not evern know what it really mean.

"Oh it's organic, it must be good!"

Gasoline is organic. Would you drink it?

Just another trap for ignorant/naive people.

• Like 1

When we checked into getting certified organic for our shiitake mushrooms, about 12 years ago, I found out what a rip off it was. The inspector came over, asked us if we used any pesticides, what we did about pests and that was about it. We asked how many times of year they come back out to inspect and he said they don't do follow ups. So, basically, that is what you get for a $300(?) certificate saying you are an organic grower. They could care less what you do after that...they just want your money.

Most local growers are honest with you if they know you don't really care about whether they are certified organic or not. If you go in looking for organic they will usually tell you what you want to hear.

• Like 1

Let the taste speak for itself.

My organic market gets a lot of their produce from here:

http://www.rutizfarms.com/

The taste is incredible ,compared to anything you can get ,at even whole foods.

The blue carrots,you dont even have to scrape the outer skin off,to eat them raw.

You can tell from the taste.

Do you know,that tomatoes adverted as hydroponically grown,have their roots in pure chemical,not water.

Hot house beefsteak tomatoes,are completely artificial,and taste it.

As I've pointed out many times, taste has nothing to do with nutritional value.

If one chooses organic foods because they taste better, that's perfectly fine. I might, in fact, do it myself.

But don't try and tell me your organic tomato is more nutritious than my non-organic one.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

Well,regularly farmed foods,that they want us to gobble up,aka GMO crops that will save the world,have just been shown to kill human cells in abundance,but this is what they want us to buy,instead of organic foods they deem bad for us.

Independant toxicological study

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jat.2712/abstract

And it is now illegal,to know what is actually in our food

http://www.occupymonsanto360.org/2012/03/13/its-now-illegal-to-know-whats-in-your-food-video/

Edited by missymoo999

Well,regularly farmed foods,that they want us to gobble up,aka GMO crops that will save the world,have just been shown to kill human cells in abundance,but this is what they want us to buy,instead of organic foods they deem bad for us.

Independant toxicological study

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jat.2712/abstract

And it is now illegal,to know what is actually in our food

http://www.occupymonsanto360.org/2012/03/13/its-now-illegal-to-know-whats-in-your-food-video/

You realize that even "organic" food producers utilize chemical pesticides and fertilizers right?

• 4 months later...

LMAO, how can you eat a type of food improperly?

What else have you noticed?

• Like 1

I'm getting tired of all this "go green" and "buy organic" crap! Tired of it! Who puts a green label on a product and labels it "organic"? Doesn't mean anything. The definition of organic is "with carbon". However, inorganic means "without carbon". So next time I see a green labeled "organic" sticker I'm gonna take a dump on it. And hey, that's organic too, how do ya like that?

Snake poison is 'organic' too. The Ebola virus is too. Carbon-monoxide is too. And kitchen salt (NaCl) is too:: a 100 grams ingested in one gulp will kill you.

Uranium is INorganic, but a very natural mineral,

Like quicksilver.

I could go on for hours like this.

Natural or organic isn't necessarily healthy.

Eat some raw "organically grown" (or any raw) potatoes, and you will be sorry you did.

Most food will have to be processed first before it becomes edible.

Biodynamic/Organic farmers do the same.

Edited by Abramelin