Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The great organic food myth/scam.

George Ford

Growing the produce on farmland or in greenhouses is always going to be inferior to food from the wild in terms of minerals and photochemicals. If you want to produce much more (organic) food on land, nations should start cultivating the wilds. F ex chopping down trees in forests to make room for berrybushes like raspberries and exterminating f ex inedible plants that rely on birds for seed dispersal or getting rid of the birds species that help spread those plants if that is more convenient. This will make room for edible plants to grow and likely more animal protein as well since flying birds yield very little food compared to what they eat. And they're not that easy to catch or prepare either.

Growing the produce on farmland or in greenhouses is always going to be inferior to food from the wild in terms of minerals and photochemicals. If you want to produce much more (organic) food on land, nations should start cultivating the wilds. F ex chopping down trees in forests to make room for berrybushes like raspberries and exterminating f ex inedible plants that rely on birds for seed dispersal or getting rid of the birds species that help spread those plants if that is more convenient. This will make room for edible plants to grow and likely more animal protein as well since flying birds yield very little food compared to what they eat. And they're not that easy to catch or prepare either.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan.

But organic food costs more money so therefore it must taste better and be healthier for you.... so...

futurama-money-fry-meme-shut-up-shut-up-and-take-my-money-wallpaper-1775377-wallbase-cc-dc4b1efd-sz500x312-animate.jpg

Interesting information in this thread, thank you all very much. It's all too confusing to me, darn it. However, when we move next year, I plan to start composting and planting my own veggies. Home grown zucchini...mmmm

It is rather confusing but then again anything the government has there hands in is bound to be confusing :tu:

It is rather confusing but then again anything the government has there hands in is bound to be confusing :tu:

Thats their whole intention, to confuse people so they dont question anything, makes there life and job easier

Not sure if this is anything to do with organic food or not but is of a similiar nature

In breakfast cereals anything that is fortified in iron has actually got iron filings inside it 2 - 3 mm in size according to various things I have been reading on the net and videos I have seen

It's crazy to read all these people rage against organic food. If you don't eat organic, you have an interest in wanting to believe what you're eating isn't killing you any quicker. That's about the bottom line on that.

The idea of organic is what's good. Animals that are grown without hormones and steroids and crops that are grown without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Sounds good to me. I'm not naive though and realize that larger organic operations are operating at the bare minimum requirements to be considered organic which really at the root of it isn't organic at all.

People are suffering from a huge increase of cancer and heart disease and the increase can be tracked as we gradually changed eating habits over the last century and started eating more processed foods and introduced more artificial chemicals into our diets. Nobody knows exactly what causes these diseases and some believe it's the large quantities of meat and dairy we consume and others believe it's the large consumption of artificial preservatives and chemicals. I'm sure they all play their part but what seems like such common sense to me is that putting a bunch of food in my body that's been injected and basted with chemicals that actually kill other organisms probably isn't the best thing for me.

The thing that's easier is usually not the thing that's better for you.

People are suffering from a huge increase of cancer and heart disease and the increase can be tracked as we gradually changed eating habits over the last century and started eating more processed foods and introduced more artificial chemicals into our diets. Nobody knows exactly what causes these diseases and some believe it's the large quantities of meat and dairy we consume and others believe it's the large consumption of artificial preservatives and chemicals. I'm sure they all play their part but what seems like such common sense to me is that putting a bunch of food in my body that's been injected and basted with chemicals that actually kill other organisms probably isn't the best thing for me.

The thing that's easier is usually not the thing that's better for you.

Lots of other changes happened at the same time and we got way better at finding and databasing the causes of death.

F ex we're getting much less sunlight (lack of vit D has been linked to cancer and heart disease); less bacteria in our food (contains many vitamins, helps the immune system and gut flora); use much more antibiotics and soap (ruins symbiotic germs and digestion); less exposure to parasites and infectious diseases (causes allergies and in some cases inflammation leading to heart disease); the habits and genes of old people nowadays are much worse than before since old age is something almost anyone can achieve nowadays; air pollution from diesel and bunker oil is pretty new; women only recently got into the habits of alcohol and tobacco; use of sugar used to be limited due to high costs; people used to get much more exercise; some STDs, herpes in particular probably used to be much rarer (kissing was unpopular during the middle ages in Europe. At least some types of the virus are known to cause cancer).

Thats their whole intention, to confuse people so they dont question anything, makes there life and job easier

Not sure if this is anything to do with organic food or not but is of a similiar nature

In breakfast cereals anything that is fortified in iron has actually got iron filings inside it 2 - 3 mm in size according to various things I have been reading on the net and videos I have seen

I suggest you find new things to read and watch on the internet. But I do understand that you guys over there have some problems with nutrient fortified foods.

Do you really think people are eating iron filings that are 2-3 mm in size? For one thing, that would probably kill you and would certainly wreck your teeth - ever bite down on a grain of sand or dirt when eating your vegetables? You definitely feel that, right? Now imagine a bowl full of your favorite breakfasty treat with 2-3 mm iron filings in it? For one thing, you'd end up with a pile of iron filings at the bottom of every bowl of cereal. YUMMY!

Yes, iron filing are added to cereal when it is iron fortified. But they are on the order of a few dozen MICRONS. Not millimeters.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/676/do-iron-fortified-cereals-really-contain-iron-filings

• Like 1

2-3mm? I've shot pheasant and rabbit with smaller pellets than that!

Wow, 2-3 mm, I use beads that size. Think of 2-3mm as the letters o-O, they are approximately 2-3mm in size. If you chomp down on metal bits of that size you will notice it. You notice it if you chomp a grain of sand the size of a period........

The size was an approximate guess...

I am not saying it is true but just a possibility due to one of the videos I seen of an experiment

Link below of one such video

I was not even looking for that but while on Youtube it caught my eye

I have been thinking of doing the exact same experiment and see what happen's,

As with the video/s they could have placed the iron filings themselves to give the video credibility