Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man has a nail removed from his brain

Still Waters

Chicago man Dante Autullo was recovering yesterday after having a nail removed from his brain – which he hadn't known was there.

Dante Autullo thought his doctors were joking, and that he had merely cut himself with a nail gun while building a shed. But they assured him that the X-ray was real: a nail was lodged in the middle of his brain.

Mr Autullo, from Chicago, was recovering on Friday after undergoing surgery at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where doctors removed the 3.75-inch (7.62cm) nail, according to agency reports.

The nail had come within millimeters of the part of the brain that controls motor function.

"When they brought in the picture, I said to the doctor, 'Is this a joke? Did you get that out of the doctors joke file?'" the 32-year-old recalled. "The doctor said, 'No man, that's in your head.'"

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• Fluffybunny

• Still Waters

• King Fluffs

I worked as an x-ray/ct and mri tech for a decade and the kinds of oddities you'll see are astounding. This was a very blessed man on that particular day :yes:

I walked through an emergency room one morning and saw a couple x-ray film on the light box. It was a human hand but perfectly bisected across the knuckles. Later I saw the post op images and the hand and fingers were all reattached with pins..pretty cool stuff.

He didn't even notice the difference? Obviously a Republican.

Possibly, but definitely a distracted carpenter with a power saw...bad combination.

Hmm, the pic in the main page shows a snake subjected to surgeory? LOL

Poor man, but its strange that it wasnt noticed

Not noticed,I guess he is what you would call a "numbskull",but the article doesnt say that it was removed,as long as he doesnt turn rusty eh !..

Befits a rereading the famous case of Phineas Gage, the railroad worker who had a tamping rod blasted completely though his brain. As I recall, he recovered with some vision loss and lived a fairly normal life for another dozen or so years.

• 2 weeks later...

Befits a rereading the famous case of Phineas Gage, the railroad worker who had a tamping rod blasted completely though his brain. As I recall, he recovered with some vision loss and lived a fairly normal life for another dozen or so years.

Yeah, Gage was the center of many studies for the personality change that he underwent. If I recall correctly, the frontal lobe of his brain was taken out with the tamping rod he was using to tamp down explosives into a hole in the ground( a ~6 foot long steel rod...or a 2 meter rod if you swing that way) and the explosive went off and shot the rod up through his jaw, eye and front of his brain.

His personality changed immediately after the event and the doctors of the time figured out that part of the brain controlled the personality...voila, the frontal lobotamy was born...