Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Occult stuff real?

TCMike

Just now, GlitterRose said:

the woo seems to disappear. 

The woo never existed. It's just the mind trying to externalize problems through altered perception and the wrong focus. 

It makes sense because we're talking about balance. 

Sometimes things happen in life and people get out of balance. 

Whether it be that they're repressing negative emotions, or wallowing in them...there's an issue that needs to be dealt with. 

Once it's dealt with, the woo seems to disappear. 

Well, he is allowing the validity of paranormal happenings, as real, but says they emanate from the repression of the shadow, so I guess if a bunch of people see a ghost, they can fight it out to claim ownership of that ghost, created by the denial of their individual shadows, Or all say, "It ain't my ghost creation, it is yours, own up to it !". The whole idea is total speculation, and needs a better explanation to give it even a veneer of credibility.

Just now, XenoFish said:

The woo never existed. It's just the mind trying to externalize problems through altered perception and the wrong focus. 

I understand that point of view, but I don't share it.

It's simply because what I experienced was also experienced by others around me. 

Sometimes they would describe what I had already experienced, but hadn't told them about.

That's what led me to realize that the woo was "real" but not independent. 

I understand that point of view, but I don't share it.

It's simply because what I experienced was also experienced by others around me. 

Sometimes they would describe what I had already experienced, but hadn't told them about.

That's what led me to realize that the woo was "real" but not independent. 

I can not allow myself to believe in woo. Despite my past experience I won't let that happen. Magick to me shall always be the art of changing our mindset and focus. To give into woo is madness. 

Please correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt occultism fall under "supernatual or paranormal" activity? When these topics come up I always think of James Randi's million dollar challenge and how not one person ever claimed that prize 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

from article   Since the challenge was first created by Randi in 1964, about a thousand people have applied, but no one has been successful.[4] Randi has said that few unsuccessful applicants ever seriously consider that their failure to perform might be due to the nonexistence of the power they believe they possess.[11

If there was any validity to this at all surely there would have been a claimant by now??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Well, he is allowing the validity of paranormal happenings, as real, but says they emanate from the repression of the shadow, so I guess if a bunch of people see a ghost, they can fight it out to claim ownership of that ghost, created by the denial of their individual shadows, Or all say, "It ain't my ghost creation, it is yours, own up to it !". The whole idea is total speculation, and needs a better explanation to give it even a veneer of credibility.

It would be speculation to me if I had not experienced it, but then mine was not about repression. 

It was about spending too much time being lost in grief, despair, and survivor guilt (lost in the abyss).

Just now, XenoFish said:

I can not allow myself to believe in woo. Despite my past experience I won't let that happen. Magick to me shall always be the art of changing our mindset and focus. To give into woo is madness. 

Ok.

It would be speculation to me if I had not experienced it, but then mine was not about repression. 

It was about spending too much time being lost in grief, despair, and survivor guilt (lost in the abyss).

But you are crediting it as being your creation ? 

1 minute ago, khol said:

Please correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt occultism fall under "supernatual or paranormal" activity? When these topics come up I always think of James Randi's million dollar challenge and how not one person ever claimed that prize 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

from article   Since the challenge was first created by Randi in 1964, about a thousand people have applied, but no one has been successful.[4] Randi has said that few unsuccessful applicants ever seriously consider that their failure to perform might be due to the nonexistence of the power they believe they possess.[11

If there was any validity to this at all surely there would have been a claimant by now??

With all the talk of powerful spirits, demons, angels, etc. The development of psychic powers, you would think occultist would be the most feared and powerful people on earth. With the power of calling storms at will, causing death with a gaze or even miraculous healing. There are no wonder-workers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

But you are crediting it as being your creation ? 

Yep.

If it was truly an independent entity, I wouldn't have been able to get rid of it. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I can not allow myself to believe in woo.

…..that just says you want to quarantine things, regardless of whether true or not. A common human tendency. "I won't hear a bad word said about X, he was always a friend to me" kind of thing.

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

Yep.

If it was truly an independent entity, I wouldn't have been able to get rid of it. 

Maybe it was independent, and relented ?

Just now, Habitat said:

…..that just says you want to quarantine things, regardless of whether true or not. A common human tendency. "I won't hear a bad word said about X, he was always a friend to me" kind of thing.

If it was all a figment of my imagination, then others should not have been able to experience it without me telling them what to experience.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think there's anything special about me. I just went through some unusually bad things, and human emotions are powerful. 

I don't doubt we all have this capability, but that many people don't encounter a catalyst that sets it off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Maybe it was independent, and relented ?

Why should it ever do that?

You hear of people tortured their whole lives. 

I try to help them because I know they don't have to be. 

Once you realize you're in control, then you are.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Why should it ever do that?

You hear of people tortured their whole lives. 

I try to help them because I know they don't have to be. 

Once you realize you're in control, then you are.

I would have a lot of doubt about anyone being the direct author of external paranormal happenings, consciously or unconsciously, though I have much less doubt that someone's inner turmoil might be a trigger for the real author of such happenings, to act.

I always use the bear analogy.

If there's a bear in my back yard...no amount of positive thinking will make it disappear.

I could not meditate the bear away.

I could not perform a banishment and make the bear go away.

I could not raise my spiritual vibration (or whatever you'd like to call it) to a point that would make the bear go away.

The bear just is. Independent of me and my feelings on the matter.

Now for these other types of phenomena...if I do these things, I can make them go away.

Somehow, they are connected to me and my state of being...and once I realize that connection, they hold no power. 

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I would have a lot of doubt about anyone being the direct author of external paranormal happenings, consciously or unconsciously, though I have much less doubt that someone's inner turmoil might be a trigger for the real author of such happenings, to act.

Ok.

• Like 1

A very sharp distinction needs to be made between the reports of the mentally ill, who "see" or experience externally, that which is internal to them, and genuine external happenings of a paranormal nature, to which others also attest. Chalk and cheese.

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I would have a lot of doubt about anyone being the direct author of external paranormal happenings, consciously or unconsciously,

That's how it works in Shamanism and Vodou. You plant a seed and it grows. Gather enough friends you can sow a field.

The Yuwipi Ceremony has often been described as a Medicine Society calling up spirits by the uninitiated. 

Hell, we create them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

calling up spirits

That is different from direct authorship.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's how it works in Shamanism and Vodou. You plant a seed and it grows. Gather enough friends you can sow a field.

The Yuwipi Ceremony has often been described as a Medicine Society calling up spirits by the uninitiated. 

Hell, we create them. 

An individual thoughtform or a memetic one. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

That is different from direct authorship.

Which is what we do. Direct authorship. Real nature spirits don't exist. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

a memetic one. 

I enjoyed that while handling everybody that helped destroy my ****. My immortality will be a story to scare people. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I enjoyed that while handling everybody that helped destroy my ****. My immortality will be a story to scare people. :lol:

I think that a lot of people tap into primitive fears. Like being afraid of the dark. So as time passed and relative safety increased. What could once been a lethal predator hiding in the dark became shadow men, ghost, even demons. We "project" our fears onto the world around us. Even though it's really a matter of perception.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I think that a lot of people tap into primitive fears. Like being afraid of the dark. So as time passed and relative safety increased. What could once been a lethal predator hiding in the dark became shadow men, ghost, even demons. We "project" our fears onto the world around us. Even though it's really a matte of perception.

The first thing I taught my sons was that the darkness is our friend. 

The second thing I taught them was that we are the demons of their nightmares.