Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO spotted in Devon

Still Waters

This mysterious image of a UFO shooting across the sky was captured in Devon by a bridge worker.

Gary McDermott snapped the glowing red object, with bright flashing lights, after stopping his car to photograph a low-flying helicopter in Plymouth.

The disc-shaped UFO flashed across the sky - just as he was taking the picture - before it disappeared into the night at 9pm on Sunday.

Mr McDermott, who was working night shifts on the city's famous Royal Albert Bridge, said: "I just couldn't believe what I had just seen.

"It must have been a UFO - and I cannot believe I am saying that because I don't believe in them usually.

arrow3.gifRead more...

hmmm....so he stops to take picture of a low flying helicopter (at night).....would that work?

It came into shot just as I took the picture - then as soon as I said to my mate 'look what I have just seen', it disappeared

either way, he is now taking his photo and he says the object came into shot.....so where is the helicopter in the photo?

I live in Devon, seen loads of police helicopters, rescue helicopters and other air craft at night, would be great to think we had UFOs as well!

I don't want to spoil his fun at all, but it looks very much like lens flare from the street Lamp.

Someone with more time than me could maybe get the location, then google earth and take a good look at the design of those streetlamps to compare it to the 'craft'. I'm betting lens flare too, and it would be fairly easy to verify.

Are we serious here? This is the 3rd (I believe :hmm:) photo of a "UFO" that is nothing more than light play off the lens. Either being shot through a window, thus the double "UFO" pictures/video's we've seen lately as cars and street lights pass the lens and window, and then this obvious lens flare shot. Is 2012 the year humans digress in their knowledge and common sense exponentially?

It has to be lens flare, I don't think the thing loves the camera that much to just jump into the shot. He should have took another one to be certain.

Is 2012 the year humans digress in their knowledge and common sense exponentially?

2012 might be the year of the Dragon but it seems its promising to be a year of BS. We're going to have to live with it too, right up until Dec 21st since every insignificant event will be attributed to that bloody Mayan calendar.

Edited by Robbo

Are we serious here? This is the 3rd (I believe :hmm:) photo of a "UFO" that is nothing more than light play off the lens. Either being shot through a window, thus the double "UFO" pictures/video's we've seen lately as cars and street lights pass the lens and window, and then this obvious lens flare shot. Is 2012 the year humans digress in their knowledge and common sense exponentially?

No, but it may be the culmination of a process that began with the the launch of the internet...

Well, I dont know if its lens flare, but it really really looks like morphed

The thing that people forget about lens flare ......is that you only get lens flare by looking through a lens !!!! Its quite obvious from the shot (straight into the sky) that the guy has seen something - and then taken a picture through a lens...... SO WHAT WAS IT HE SAW BEFORE TAKING A PICTURE- EYEBALL FLARE??

The thing that people forget about lens flare ......is that you only get lens flare by looking through a lens !!!! Its quite obvious from the shot (straight into the sky) that the guy has seen something - and then taken a picture through a lens...... SO WHAT WAS IT HE SAW BEFORE TAKING A PICTURE- EYEBALL FLARE??

Yes, he indeed did see something - a helicopter. From the article:

Gary McDermott snapped the glowing red object, with bright flashing lights, after stopping his car to photograph a low-flying helicopter in Plymouth.

It definitely looks like a lens flare to me as well.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

If only once we could get a really great video,photo,body parts,proof,actual sumptin ! Then we would be Talking !

The guy said he stopped to take a photo of a helicopter. He then goes on to say whilst snapping the picture he saw 'an object' through the lens.

So a more pertinent question is, where is the helicopter in the picture?

If you look real close, lens flare, you can actually see the outline/shape. :tu:

Looks like a blimp to me . Internally lighted, blimp. Could account for the " helicopter" sound he heard but didn't see. But hey, who's right all the time?

An open invitation to Gary McDermott (are you listening, Google search?) to come on over and join in. In particular, Gary, how about taking a few more pictures at that same location at slightly different angles, and also identifying where you were exactly..

Anyone else live near Plymouth and recognise that bit of building facade?

Looks like a Pasty skimmed over the border from Cornwall illuminated by street light.

One news report gave the location as on the Hoe

Edited by Pastymancer