Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Jurassic raven' dinosaur had black feathers

Still Waters

Scientists have used a powerful microscope to image a feather from a dinosaur long thought to be a 'missing link' in the evolution of birds - and discovered it had rigid, black feathers just like today's birds.

Since its discovery 150 years ago, scientists have puzzled over whether the winged dinosaur Archaeopteryx is the missing link between dinosaurs and birds - and the moment when powered flight evolved.

Much of the debate has focused on the iconic creature's wings and the mystery of whether — and how well — it could fly.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spud the mackem

• Junior Chubb

• Imaginarynumber1

• star energy

They really need to stop using the phrase 'missing link' in these kinds of stories. It only further confuses those that don't understand how evolution works.

That said, Archaeopteryx is the $h!t. I want one.

The picture looks like a vulture to me,and they have black feathers to,so have they found a black feathered vulture with a long tail ?.

I want a pet wolf.

I wouldnt bother mate,it would only huff and puff and blow your house down...hee hee.Or you could phone Red Riding Hood and she would sort it.cheers.

I'm sure that the Archaeopteryx chose black because it's so slimming.

looks like a turkey

Interesting story, nice this bird has an 'official' colour now. When I was a lad I had a book about dinosaurs and Archaeopteryx appeared on the last page sporting blue feathers with white tips. The article mentions examining 'a' feather (a single feather?), if this is the case could we have seen different coloured plumage elsewhere on the body?

I wonder this of dinosaurs, how accurate are the CGI dinosaurs skin colours in movies and documentaries? As a lad this was up for argument (so David Bellamy told me), have some dinosaur colours been resolved to or are we still just guessing?

They really need to stop using the phrase 'missing link' in these kinds of stories. It only further confuses those that don't understand how evolution works.

Your right with this (especially when its not missing). :tu:

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Junior Chubb

I'm sure that the Archaeopteryx chose black because it's so slimming.

BTW purple is this years black ;)

i think they should scan feathers of other specimens too. i didn't even think it would be possible to determine color from fossils

Edited by Xanthurion2

For those of you that are interested...

http://news.national...-science-wings/

Quote from above link "One of the first dinosaurs to take to the air had wings with at least one black feather, according to a new study."

Full render of Archaeopteryx - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/01/100127-dinosaurs-color-feathers-science/o/

Pigments have been found in fossil dinosaurs for the first time, a new study says - http://news.national...-colors-nature/

Archaeopteryx is believed to be world's first bird.

<a href="http://vpn4all.com/">VPN</a>

Hi,I guess we have to go along with the scientists on this one,but no doubt some one will try to disapprove the theory that its the worlds 1st,but I still reckon it looks like a vulture,and its certainly not a hen.cheers

I didn't even think it would be possible to determine color from fossils

I was under the impression that at this time it's not, despite the melanin argument here. The last article that was posted on UM about fossil feather color was very specific that the methods used would only give us enough information to determine if it was a light or dark shade. Not enough to determine actual color.