Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can hauntings just start? In a young house?

SuddenlyWeary

I am just looking for advice. This is all new to me. I've been living in this house for almost two months and things are just now starting to get...creepy. It's not an old house, I think it's only like thirty years old and in mint condition. I guess it started with the kitchen light. It was blowing light bulbs like crazy. We noticed a metal chain that was hitting the socket, moved it, and for the past week or two the light has been fine. Then, the light for the stairway started doing it. Somehow, we got it to stop a couple of days ago. It's been fine ever since.

Now, my husband works all day, my step son is gone at school, and I'm stuck here by myself because I work seasonally. Winter is vacation time. Today is when it started to really creep me out and I just don't understand it because it came out of the blue. It's not an old house, no body died here, and if the house was going to go all wonkey because of changes, it should have done it from the get go.

This morning, (home alone) there was a very load bang in the guest room. Both my cats were in the bedroom with me so I figured the painting I put up in there fell off the wall; nope, still hanging. Nothing was out of place, not even in the closet. So I blew it off and went about my day; which consists of job hunting on the computer for something until April, housework, and more job hunting.

Around about eleven in the morning, I heard a big band from the bedroom. Once again, nothing out of place. For some reason, ever since we moved into this big house and no longer live in a mobile home, my cats (2)feel the need to always be in the same room as me, so it was easy for me to see that it wasn't them. They can be noisy from time to time. Cleo thinks she's queen of the world and Garfield is...afraid of squirrels.

Anyway, later on tonight, My kitchen light started going nuts; I mean NUTS! It was going off and on light a disco party. My husband was asleep on the couch, my step son watching t.v. in the recliner, and I decided to put electrical tape over the switch so that no one would use the light until we figured out what was wrong with it.

That was when things started toppling over in our display case. One of these things was a giant hand carved cribbage board that you literally have to pick up in order to move. It is placed behind grooved wood. There is no way to move it without first lifting the bottom and then tilting the top back.

If the house was haunted, why would it start now? If it wasn't before, why start now? Why wait almost two months? If it is a haunting, how do I fix it? I love this house, this is my first actual house, there is no way I'm giving it up. If there is something here, I need to find a way to evict it.

Any advice to the recently freaked out?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acute

• rashore

• ColoradoParanormal

• SuddenlyWeary

Well? Any advice, anyone? I am going to be stuck here all day by myself tomorrow and I am really not used to dealing with this sort of thing. I don't even believe in this sort of thing

I'm sure you'll get better (and worse) responses than mine, but to answer your title question, yes. If you are experiencing what may be determined to be something paranormal, then it's the land that is haunted, not the house.

Sometimes things start very slowly and they progress. Could be something there that is attracted to negative things in your life.

When your alone, I would turn on the radio very loudly and go about doing your normal day activities and see what happens next. GL

Well? Any advice, anyone? I am going to be stuck here all day by myself tomorrow and I am really not used to dealing with this sort of thing. I don't even believe in this sort of thing

Tell it to sod off - very loudly and invoke Him upstairs name if you feel inclined to do so! Don't let it take over your first proper house. If you can afford it - set up a camera in the room where the bangs are coming from and see if there is something explainable happening, or even a tape recorder (cheaper).

Try to get recordings if you can. Get your house checked out. Like electrical, air system, ect.

Find out if there is something going on in your area that could effect your home. Like if there is some sort of street or sewage repair. If you live in the general area of a quarry, they may be doing new work that's stirring your house up.

I'd try and be so bloody annoying to whatever it is. Play loud music, entertain friends, have a big dinner w/ family, etc. I think it may work.

i don't know about the banging noises, but we moved into an older (not old) home and had very similar problems with the electrical.

as to the haunting idea - it's not only buildings or land that are reported to be haunted. there are those who claim they themselves are haunted, so no matter where they move it's still a problem

then you have your garden variety poltergeists, usually manifested around preteen and teenage children.

a ghost would be the last thing i would suspect if i heard noises or had strange things happen. there are so many other possibilites to consider

Edited by JGirl

You can have haunted land and besides, you can't REALLY know the history of a place to 100% detail. I had an experience in a house no older than 6 years old! I don't really believe in ghosts, but demons. So I personally believe it is either a demon having a bit of 'fun' with you. Sounds too dramatic to be just an electrical problem etc

Yes, advice.....

Keep your mind occupied.

You have planted the " seed ", and fear will be the first emotion to anything " out of the ordinary " that you see, hear, feel, etc. in your home now......Your sub-conscious will mess with your common sense, and your fear will only get worse if you keep thinking about a " haunting ".

Basically, fear is hungry, and you are feeding it just fine.Make it healthy, really freak yourself out.

Hauntings, Ghosts, etc......To help you with your fear, you will only see or hear about Hauntings and Ghosts on TV, or on forums such as this, and fictional books......And friends scared by these resources.

Do some research on actul studies from Universities, or actual Science work ( Journals )......Guess what, you will not find much other than the psychological side of this....The reason why?....There is, has not, and will not be any evidence to even support hauntings, exorcisms, ghosts, demons, etc....None to get any credible orginisation to spend a dime researching......This should tell you a lot.

Take some time researching that side of hauntings, and not the paranormal sites ( this one is great because people like me can give advice also ) because you will be getting opinions stated as facts......I just gave you facts.

There are no Ghosts.......Please spend your time researching the Psychological side of why people believe, or need to have a fear of this.....It will help you..

And maybe call or look into a electrician and pest control, maybe even a contractor......Do this before calling your local paranormal team.

I can 100% promise you, if you do not " believe " in ghosts/demons/hauntings, etc, etc," they will not exist.Thus you will not be bothered by it.

Edited by Sakari

Yes, advice.....

Keep your mind occupied.

You have planted the " seed ", and fear will be the first emotion to anything " out of the ordinary " that you see, hear, feel, etc. in your home now......Your sub-conscious will mess with your common sense, and your fear will only get worse if you keep thinking about a " haunting ".

Basically, fear is hungry, and you are feeding it just fine.Make it healthy, really freak yourself out.

Hauntings, Ghosts, etc......To help you with your fear, you will only see or hear about Hauntings and Ghosts on TV, or on forums such as this, and fictional books......And friends scared by these resources.

Do some research on actul studies from Universities, or actual Science work ( Journals )......Guess what, you will not find much other than the psychological side of this....The reason why?....There is, has not, and will not be any evidence to even support hauntings, exorcisms, ghosts, demons, etc....None to get any credible orginisation to spend a dime researching......This should tell you a lot.

Take some time researching that side of hauntings, and not the paranormal sites ( this one is great because people like me can give advice also ) because you will be getting opinions stated as facts......I just gave you facts.

There are no Ghosts.......Please spend your time researching the Psychological side of why people believe, or need to have a fear of this.....It will help you..

And maybe call or look into a electrician and pest control, maybe even a contractor......Do this before calling your local paranormal team.

I can 100% promise you, if you do not " believe " in ghosts/demons/hauntings, etc, etc," they will not exist.Thus you will not be bothered by it.

Agreed, :tu:

Yes. The land can be haunted, possibly by a ghost haunting a previous property on the same site.

Alternatively, your house could be haunted by the previous occupants, disapproving of either changes made to the house, or the current residents.

Yes. The land can be haunted, possibly by a ghost haunting a previous property on the same site.

Alternatively, your house could be haunted by the previous occupants, disapproving of either changes made to the house, or the current residents.

Where are the sources to these things you are stating?

I think if someone asks a question, the person answering should state " in my opinion, it could be ",. or " it is fact that ".......

This would sure clear things up wouldn't it?

I mean I would hope people would see that, but you never do know.

Edited by Sakari

Hello, i have lived in a Haunted House and i can testify that these entities are real and can do many weird and strange things, We were able to rid the House of these evil Spirits but it took a couple of years to achive this. You are not crazy and might seek help from someone who has experiance in the Spiritual side of things,to give you advice.

I think if someone asks a question, the person answering should state " in my opinion, it could be ",. or " it is fact that ".......

Move on- and return to the topic at hand please.

The words "can be" and "possibly" denote enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like to me you have one of the following happening.

A) Something in the house has a guest with it. can be anything to a piece of jewerly to a table. (dolls are included as they were use long ago to house souls of the departed)

OR

B) the land is haunted .

How to help

you need to use a Smudging ritual ( a stick of sage incense) and go into every room ( reguardless of relgion) and read Psalms 91. You need to tell this thing to go back into the light. if that doesn't work you may need professional help getting rid of it.

Something could of happened on the property or close by. Also did you bring something old into the house that wasn't there at first? Even something as small as a piece of jewelry.

I was simply answering the question, based on first-hand experience of hauntings, knowledge of different types of hauntings, and anecdotal evidence from trustworthy sources, over 40 years. If I included my life history into every post, it would be tedious in the extreme.

SuddenlyWeary, have you made changes to the house since you moved in?

My sister had a problem after buying a house that two people had recently died in. The house was built in 1931, and the previous owners were an elderly couple who had lived there for most or all of the period since, then died within days of each other.

All was quiet to start with, until my sister had a small attic room converted into a bedroom, then the activity started. There were loud bangs from up in the attic, slamming of doors, lights on/off, and what sounded like heavy stomping of feet. I heard these noises on a number of occasions myself, unmistakably coming from directly above the bedrooms. We took it to be the former residents registering their disapproval of the changes made.

After a few months, the activity slowly died away.

I would advise you to give it time to settle, before exploring another option.

Edited by acute alan

Psycho-kinetic poltergeist-ism caused by yourself because you are bored out of your brain with just 2 cats keeping you company while everyone else is busy.

I am not joking or having a go at you, i really mean it. Look into it.

After all... it's given you something to focus on, hasn't it? Seriously, look into it.

SuddenlyWeary - You have been given sound advice in seeking the help from a certified electrician and also a plumber would be a great course of action. Also, Sakari stated it best with the fact that fear has been "seeded" in your mind and to really study into the psychological side effects of fear.

The fact that you've turned to a Paranormal board asking advice instead of seeking the help of an electrician as well as possibly a home inspector/contractor, suggests you already have the notion in your head this is purely paranormal. That mixed with fear factoring in, the psychological results are obvious that you surmise its paranormal. This is common place in "hauntings." The Paranormal should be the absolute LAST resort in any case. Only after all natural and reasonable explanations have been checked then should you start investigating something outside the norm. Or the Paranormal. I can tell you from experience, after you've gone through the checklist stated above, you most likely wont reach that Out side of the Normal conclusion.

Knowledge is key here my friend.

I am just looking for advice. This is all new to me. I've been living in this house for almost two months and things are just now starting to get...creepy. It's not an old house, I think it's only like thirty years old and in mint condition. I guess it started with the kitchen light. It was blowing light bulbs like crazy. We noticed a metal chain that was hitting the socket, moved it, and for the past week or two the light has been fine. Then, the light for the stairway started doing it. Somehow, we got it to stop a couple of days ago. It's been fine ever since.

Now, my husband works all day, my step son is gone at school, and I'm stuck here by myself because I work seasonally. Winter is vacation time. Today is when it started to really creep me out and I just don't understand it because it came out of the blue. It's not an old house, no body died here, and if the house was going to go all wonkey because of changes, it should have done it from the get go.

This morning, (home alone) there was a very load bang in the guest room. Both my cats were in the bedroom with me so I figured the painting I put up in there fell off the wall; nope, still hanging. Nothing was out of place, not even in the closet. So I blew it off and went about my day; which consists of job hunting on the computer for something until April, housework, and more job hunting.

Around about eleven in the morning, I heard a big band from the bedroom. Once again, nothing out of place. For some reason, ever since we moved into this big house and no longer live in a mobile home, my cats (2)feel the need to always be in the same room as me, so it was easy for me to see that it wasn't them. They can be noisy from time to time. Cleo thinks she's queen of the world and Garfield is...afraid of squirrels.

Anyway, later on tonight, My kitchen light started going nuts; I mean NUTS! It was going off and on light a disco party. My husband was asleep on the couch, my step son watching t.v. in the recliner, and I decided to put electrical tape over the switch so that no one would use the light until we figured out what was wrong with it.

That was when things started toppling over in our display case. One of these things was a giant hand carved cribbage board that you literally have to pick up in order to move. It is placed behind grooved wood. There is no way to move it without first lifting the bottom and then tilting the top back.

If the house was haunted, why would it start now? If it wasn't before, why start now? Why wait almost two months? If it is a haunting, how do I fix it? I love this house, this is my first actual house, there is no way I'm giving it up. If there is something here, I need to find a way to evict it.

Any advice to the recently freaked out?

I don't know about the sounds or anything, but the feelings and light problems might be connected... Electromagnetic fields could very well cause a person to have paranoid feelings and things like that and surges in the electrical lines of the house would account for them as well as flickering lights.

But then again, who knows? I'd suggest starting with the electrical system of the house and getting it checked. And if that is okay, then proceed through other solutions before jumping to the paranormal...

I don't know about the sounds or anything, but the feelings and light problems might be connected... Electromagnetic fields could very well cause a person to have paranoid feelings and things like that and surges in the electrical lines of the house would account for them as well as flickering lights.

But then again, who knows? I'd suggest starting with the electrical system of the house and getting it checked. And if that is okay, then proceed through other solutions before jumping to the paranormal...

Thank you! I'm glad to see some other people whom support this.

Also, I wanted to say something that has been rubbing me wrong all day long. I've been noticing that if you don't post responses to people seeking help from a complete blind believers stand point you are warned and shot down and degraded. Isn't this a board where we offer explanations and viable testing to help people out before they completely freak out and hire some Ghost Hunters or Psychics to come and fill their heads with crazy things, scare them and their families to absolute death? When the root cause is something normal such as Electrical issues.

As I've stated, and a few others, exhaust ALL possibilities of normal occurrences and issues before looking into the Paranormal. Yet, from the top down here now, if you aren't on board with the "THAT'S A GHOST!" right off the bat bandwagon, then you are warned and treated terribly. This seems like a degradation of intellect and forward momentum in my opinion.