Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think I might be an empath

Hostess

Yeah I"m an Empath as well.

I took a ghost walk a few weeks ago in New Orleans, and I was feeling a roller coaster of emotions. The tour guide said that I was actually feeling the emotions that the people had felt back when. I remember feeling like i was going to throw up and then when I got to the next street corner, I felt completely fine. I was told later, that at that particular street, a terrible death had occurred a dinner party, and the guests at the party all felt sick because of the tragic death. I also felt at one point like my limbs were aching and that I was stuck in a box. Apparently that's exactly what had happened to somebody on that street, because somebody was doing these freaky messed up experiments on people. The craziest thing I remember was when felt like i was going to cry my eyes out and then a few feet later I felt happy as a clam. It's like I know I"m experiencing the emotions..but they aren't mine. Like there isn't any reason for me to feel those emotions at the time, but I am anyway. I just have to get far enough away to make it go away. The tourguide said that she has had a few others like me, but never has she ever seen anybody as sensitive as I am. Apparently I'm "extremely psychic".

The only problem is, that if I can't control it, I might start to feel other peoples junk like if they feel pain i'll feel it too. I'm sure it can get to a point where it starts to be a threat to our health.

Does anybody know ways to ground yourself or control the empathy to a certain degree? Thanks!!

:innocent: Chosen_One :innocent:

I'm still working on blocking & grounding myself. Just as I get to a comfortable point where I feel I'm in control, I encounter something new or different & it becomes another chip in the wall I have to figure out how to fix & maintain. I don't know if you are in a relationship with anyone or not or are physically close with someone but...I have found that as the years go by & the closeness remains a pretty deep psychic bond does form & you can pick up & regularly take on another person's pain. It's pretty natural for all couples :) but...as an empath, the bond goes a bit more than knowing what your partner is feeling or if they are lying or hiding something from you. Once (cause I've only tried it once) I shared some of my excess energy with my (now ex but working on fixing that, lol) partner. Need say, for her, it was like being high for three days straight. She got to see the world as I see it, experience all the senses at a different level. It really opened her eyes & her mind in realizing that we don't truly see or experience things the same way.

Of course that little experiment ended with me taking weeks to gain back my energy reserve & since then we have created a symbiotic link between us where I can feel her pain long before she ever says anything or even knows about it & I can send a little energy her way to help her body open up channels it's blocking & fix the problem on her own (or if it just can't, help fix it with me present).

Symbiotic relationships are natural, lol, not talking science fiction :) even science its self has proven that couples will (unknown to them) adjust their hormone levels, heart rate & pheromone out put to match or sync up with their partners. It's why husbands can feel pregnancy pains when their wives are in labor, it's a sympathetic response.

So, in the long run, depending upon the relationships you build with people, yes, you could end up taking on another person's health issues, weighing your own health down.

I honestly believe strong family units already create an empath who does just that, who feeds the unit their energy to keep the unit healthy & as a result themselves suffer more health problems than the rest. I am, thankfully, not that person, not yet. My father's family is very close & I have an aunt who is kind of like the unit leader, she organizes everything, keeps in touch with everyone & she suffers the most health issues. I'm not talking about running herself ragged. We all live very close by so we're barely a half hour drive apart. But she's the only diabetic, has had her gallbladder removed, has had multiple surgeries, difficult pregnancies & yet she's the most energetic bubbly personality you could meet. I truly believe, for now, she's the family empath who nurtures our collective energy. She doesn't know this, lol :) but it's what I've come to believe from what I've seen over the last 20yrs.

In the end, only thing I can say is keep working on building walls or barriers. Everyone has a different approach. Me, personally, I reserve my energy behind a barrier, like a force field if you will. The more challenging the experience is, the more I dip into my energy reserve & reinforce the shielding. (ok that may sound science fiction like, lol)

Nice topic. Try to Experiment with different grounding & protection techniques till you hone on the ones that work for you. There are so many ways to do it and I've found what works for me may not work for you & vice versa. I keep seeing this message all over... Meditation. Meditation. Meditation. It's hard to do till u get in the zone. But is a great inner tool for u and all of us really

Could be, I was getting allergies and my eyes were tearing up individually. For example, one would start hurting and crying for 20 minutes and then later on in the day the other would do the same. And well, my head was hurting, but only because my friend was complaining about everything under the sun... So that might explain that. Not bad, and I'm not criticizing. :tu:

AWESOME!

Feel better though!

Trust me, I literally know how you feel lol it's annoying.

Good luck!

:innocent: Chosen_One :innocent:

The trick is not to hoard the energy within your body. You have to release it. As I was reading your post I notice that these are things that I could have easily written about myself. I am me. The labels help a lot in the beginning because they tell you that you are not alone in what you feel but as time goes on, you will find that other people may experience similar things but it will never be the same as what you experience because you are unique and we could both be having the same experience and interpret it differently.

What I do to clear myself is ask the archangel Micheal to cut any cords of attachment that has attached itself to me and for him to send loving pink energy to these being so that they would not feel like they need to attached themselves to me. When I feel gunky I drink water and I bless the water saying I am drinking this to clear me.

once you opened up to the possibility that we are all one then it's not so hard to send loving energy to all. There's so much to talk about that you could do but they have to be tailor to who YOU are and no one else will ever be able to tell you what will work for you. You have to try it all and learn what works for YOU.

• 1 month later...

I have always been described by people as extremely empathetic. I didn't know what an "empath" was until I looked it up after reading a post on this site, today. I can read how people feel at all times. I feel their emotions, but not as if they were mine- I don't know how to explain it. I have also been told that I am "insightful." My Dad told me I was "the most insightful person I have ever met." I was 14 when he said that, lol. I know what people need to hear and I am not afraid to tell them. I am real and honest with people. I feel like I am tooting my own horn when I talk about this, though :hmm:

Also I apparently give pretty good advice on things I have never experienced, myself. I get emotions from others to help me help them, and there's just something in me guiding me to the right thing to say.

I don't know what to think of all this unsure.gif

Well I can safely say I'm an empath and for a few years now, I feel others peoples emotions as my own. At first i couldnt tell the difference but over tiem i learned. i'm also a lot like you, though I wouldnt put it down to my empathy a lot of the time but rather to my own lifes experiences. That beign said ive used my empathy to understand how that person is really feeling and then the advice just rolled off my tongue.

Empath ycan be usefull but it has its drawbacks also.

As for tooting your own horn, come now, if a person is awesome, then you are awesome and deserve to flaunt what you have. ;)

I am to a degree also an empath but I feel it seems only the sad and bad things people are feeling so I have to try and pull myself away from these people. If I can help them I do but being a nurse I have to deal with so much pain at times it's awful.

If you let it it will make you physically and emotionally ill, you need to learn ways to block it out if it ever becomes too much which at the moment it doesn't seem that way.

The thing is, sadness and negative feelings are the easiest to pick up on because the can take control so easy. I in fact distance myself from people who act depressed and emo when in fact they have no real reason to you know. :santa:

I do agree though, you have to train yourself to block out these types of neagtive thoughts even though there extremely over whelming.

I just imagine a skin tight invisible shield around my body, and I put the intent beind it that it will block all the negativity, then I just imagine something good and leave the person to wallow in there own self pity.

Before I went on medication, I was very depressed and suicidal. The fact I could feel that others didn't want to be around men reinforced the idea in my head that I was worthless. In reality, no one wanted to be near me because I was never happy and didn't talk to anyone, and a bit of a downer.

I'll openly admit that depression is constantly at my door step, and even as a teenager i suffered very badly with depression and was sucidal for awhile. I didnt however go near medication, luckily enough I have a hell of a lot of will power and pulled myself out of that pit I was in. My friends helped to keep me level iswell. Can't forget those peeps now can I. :clap:

People just remember empathy is a rather common ability that a lot of people have they just simply refer to is as 'intuition'.

I'm a strong empath because I put time in to learn and control it.

I'm even at the stage where through a persons feelings I can understand whats on there thinking, though this has happened around a handful of times. Freaks the fracking S**t right out of my friends. lol. :gun:

I have a complete lack of empathy.

It's probably noticeable within my posts.

I have a complete lack of empathy.

It's probably noticeable within my posts.

Well think of it this way, I'm more adept to empathy beacuase I inherited that adeptness to it, not empathy itself. We all have empathy within us. Ive some people who under went a heart breaking event or life altering event and came out the far side a better person but also realized they had empathy.

It doesnt always take an event like that to trigger your empathy.

For exampl,e I walked into the kitch not even 5 minutes ago to make a cup of tea, my mother was in the kitchen and instantly I could sense that there was something wrong with her. I didnt ask because she always grumpy. lol

:unsure2::huh::blink::wacko:

Something you care to add?

• 1 year later...

Ive recently started thinking i may be somewhat of an empath. I dont know for sure but i do know that im extremely comfortable being alone. i hate going to the stores as i seem to get extremely moody. even when i drive i do this. also last week i had a few days where i was such a grouch i couldnt stand myself. then thursday night one of my aunts had a heart attack and had emergency surgery. anyway ive only just began exploring this idea. is there any pointers or thoughts on this stuff? if so email me at chasdalton@hotmail.com thank you

I honestly think that Psychic Empathy would be one of the most difficult abilities to test for. I must emphasize what I feel is a difference between normal empathy and Psychical Empathy; Normal Empathy in and of itself is not preternatural; even with people who seem to be especially empathic by "normal" means, they are just better at picking up someone's body language and facial expressions. I am very good at discerning how people feel and what their intentions are, though this has to do more with evaluating that person's personality over time, listening to their words, analyzing everything that I see and hear, then kind of "putting myself in their shoes". This is not psychical whatsoever. However, psychical empathy, to me, is being able to do something like meet a person for the first time and psychically sense something emotionally regardless of what their body language expresses. For example, going to a department store and meeting a smiling, behind-the-counter person who seems to be an overall congenial being, and yet sensing severe depression and perhaps even bipolar disorder like symptoms from them despite the facade they put on (and eventually having that verified). THIS is psychical empathy, though the empathy that most of us in this world display concerns analyzing through body language , gestures and tones, and eventually analyzing and putting that all together. I often get "normal" empathic impressions from people on this site:

Sadly, many of them claim to have psionic abilities because they want attention (duh, right?), this desire for attention stemming perhaps from the fact that their personal lives are empty, dissatisfying or even detrimental to their well-being, and it is thus a form of escape. I also "sense" that it is about control. Psychokinesis is based on control, and fantasizing that one has immense kinetic or extrasensory abilities means one can control something in a world in which one may feel they have little control. Finally, it is about the need to feel special. If one has special abilities, they will stand out. If one stands out, they will be recognized. Make them normal and all that goes away, and they feel they may have nothing left worth offering the world (which is sad). This all indicates extremely low self-esteem and a troubling lack of self-appreciation. This is why I often shake my head at some of the skeptics who respond with sarcastic remarks; it is not necessarily the powers they want, but the feelings that come with having powers, namely control and a sense of worth.

Empathy is apart of everyone, everyone does have it to a certain degree. It's like everything in this world! We all share so much more than we would want to beleieve at all. I know basic math, but someone here probably knows advanced calc. We all have basic skills to certain degrees, but not everyone can take these skills as far as someone else. Empathy is as simple as seeing someone cry, and know they are hurting. Its that feeling that says to go over and see if they're ok.

• Like 1

Ive recently started thinking i may be somewhat of an empath. I dont know for sure but i do know that im extremely comfortable being alone. i hate going to the stores as i seem to get extremely moody. even when i drive i do this. also last week i had a few days where i was such a grouch i couldnt stand myself. then thursday night one of my aunts had a heart attack and had emergency surgery. anyway ive only just began exploring this idea. is there any pointers or thoughts on this stuff? if so email me at chasdalton@hotmail.com thank you

Carefully choose who you spend time with, and remember being in crowds can be difficult. Stay in touch with yourself, so that you'll be able to identify and separate your feelings from another's. I always smudge with white sage was a way of cleansing my energy; as an empath I tend to pick up other people's emotions like a piece of velcro and smudging helps get rid of it. As an empath you may know when someone is troubled and you can be there just to listen. And while you may know what is bothering someone, they may not be prepared to talk about it., that needs to be respected. But you can take a walk with them, cook a meal for them, watch a movie together. Sometimes that's all people need, someone to love & support them while they're going through a hard time. And I've found the best way to block is by sending white light or good wishes or positive energy, because I can't send & receive at the same time. I don't know if this is true for anyone else.

• Like 1

CRWODS are the worst! I've been told its only social anxiety, but my brain completely computes everything going on around me, it's just overload of all the energy. This can be harnessed with meditation and mindfullness. Great advice beany.

• 4 weeks later...

I have always been described by people as extremely empathetic. I didn't know what an "empath" was until I looked it up after reading a post on this site, today. I can read how people feel at all times. I feel their emotions, but not as if they were mine- I don't know how to explain it. I have also been told that I am "insightful." My Dad told me I was "the most insightful person I have ever met." I was 14 when he said that, lol. I know what people need to hear and I am not afraid to tell them. I am real and honest with people. I feel like I am tooting my own horn when I talk about this, though :hmm:

Also I apparently give pretty good advice on things I have never experienced, myself. I get emotions from others to help me help them, and there's just something in me guiding me to the right thing to say.

I don't know what to think of all this unsure.gif

Look into chakra clensing and learn chakra associations....when an emotion is sadness comes from the heart chakra etc. do these exercises and concentrate a little extra on the areas affected by others emotions....im recently learning that the best thing for an empath to do is try to surround yourseelf with good happy people and let go of the bad. Also try crossing your arms over your breadbasket or facing a wall when overwhelmed in public. Cover the solar plexus (the chakra that recieves "gut instincts" ) Edited by soulseeker

• 4 weeks later...

I have always been sensitive to others emotions but recently it has gotten to the point where I cant go out and drink more than a couple because its like Im on over load, especially hate crowded bars, cant relax at all when your picking up on everyones feelings around you.

Edited by rose quatz

I have always been sensitive to others emotions but recently it has gotten to the point where I cant go out and drink more than a couple because its like Im on over load, especially hate crowded bars, cant relax at all when your picking up on everyones feelings around you.

Bars are full of people looking for something. It's a very difficult place for sensitive people.

• Like 1

Bars are full of people looking for something. It's a very difficult place for sensitive people.

Bars suck the life out of you :td: I'm never really welcome in most. It hurts me to see the inner struggles of others and being able to tell whats going on...

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this entire post, i think my eyes are going to pop out of my head from eading so much, lol, but I did find it very interesting since I too am empathic.

I have this psychic ability where I am connected to a certain individual I come accross in my journey through life, and the psychic connection only ends once the reason i met this person is complete. Durinf this time, I can feel their pain from miles away, mainly negative ones are the strongest, and can sense when they are thinking about me or even wrote me a message on my phone or computer.

But I also get weird visions of people i don't know who are in pain.

For example, a few weeks ago i was watching TV and all of a sudden all the contents in the room dissapeared, and i saw a old man chopping wood. He missed this one piece and cut his right leg with the axe. At that moment i felt his pain he was feeling in my right leg and it was umbarable. 30 seconds later the pain went away, and so did the image of him. It was not a dream, i was wide awake.

I am not sure if this was some ghost who was seriously hurt and trying to communicate with me ? Who knows.

But two psychic mediums told me that i was empathic and on a spiritual journey trying to figure my abilites out and get them iunder control, which I know i need help with. Especially with ghosts contacting me recently, to much is going on inside my head.

But it is comforting to know i am not alone with this and reading others responses above, I know I can get this under control so it does not control my life, I control it !

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this entire post, i think my eyes are going to pop out of my head from eading so much, lol, but I did find it very interesting since I too am empathic.

I have this psychic ability where I am connected to a certain individual I come accross in my journey through life, and the psychic connection only ends once the reason i met this person is complete. Durinf this time, I can feel their pain from miles away, mainly negative ones are the strongest, and can sense when they are thinking about me or even wrote me a message on my phone or computer.

But I also get weird visions of people i don't know who are in pain.

For example, a few weeks ago i was watching TV and all of a sudden all the contents in the room dissapeared, and i saw a old man chopping wood. He missed this one piece and cut his right leg with the axe. At that moment i felt his pain he was feeling in my right leg and it was umbarable. 30 seconds later the pain went away, and so did the image of him. It was not a dream, i was wide awake.

I am not sure if this was some ghost who was seriously hurt and trying to communicate with me ? Who knows.

But two psychic mediums told me that i was empathic and on a spiritual journey trying to figure my abilites out and get them iunder control, which I know i need help with. Especially with ghosts contacting me recently, to much is going on inside my head.

But it is comforting to know i am not alone with this and reading others responses above, I know I can get this under control so it does not control my life, I control it !

Man, that is some deep stuff. I feel bad readin through these things because i dont have problems like that, especially not like yours haha! ive been looking into empaths and different types of empaths for a while now because ive always been good at seeing what people are feeling about me or someone else but its never been just like an automatic thing when i saw them. They had to be talking to the person whether i was in the convo or not. So i mean i didnt think i was really an empath but that i was just pretty good at seeing/feeling people. I can tell peoples emotions/intentions and really who they are as a person(personality wise) but like i said i always thought that i was just overreacting or just trying to hard or whatever. But ive noticed in certain instances where im around a large group of people all with the same emotion i am sucked in to their emotion. The other day I was helping out with my softball teams try outs, not actually trying out, just helping. And for awhile i was good, but i got pretty bored so i just started people watching you could say and reading peoples emotions etc and i started getting sucked into them and soon enough i was also nervous, anxiety through the roof, worrying i wasnt good enough etc. this may be me just "trying too hard" i guess you could say but growing up i always had a hard time because i would make some friends then kind of just make conclusions about them that i didnt mean to. Finish their sentence for them too often that kind of thing. And if it was really bad i started taking on their personality also without meaning to. I have a couple friends who can be negative sometimes and when they do start going off i just get really really tired and ill. I dont mind listening to them because i mean thats what friens are for, but afterwards i am always in a bad mood. Back to the point, i found this empath quiz that helps you figure out i guess where your strong points are when it comes to empathy. One thing that helped clear stuff up for me is that one of the types i matched up with were communication Empaths, which are good at seeing why and how people feel through conversation. Key word there is seeing, not feeling, even though i do have the tendencies of an emotional empath, which is what i feel like most of you guys are. just thought this was interesting!!