Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
glorybebe

Shafia family found guilty in honour-killings

glorybebe

KINGSTON, Ont. After Canada's first mass-honour-killings trial, three members of a Montreal family have all been found guilty of first-degree murder in the drowning deaths of four other family members including three teenage sisters.

A jury on Sunday handed down its guilty verdicts for Mohammad Shafia and Tooba Mohammad Yahya, as well as their 21-year-old son, Hamed.

They had been charged with murder after the bodies of three Shafia sisters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and 13-year-old Geeti were discovered in a submerged vehicle in a canal near Kingston, in June 2009.

Also in the vehicle was Rona Amir Mohammad, the 52-year-old first wife of Shafia, whom he married in his native Afghanistan before the polygamous family moved to Canada in 2007 and settled in Montreal.

A conviction for first-degree murder carries with it an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Article

I am so glad they didn't get away with this, but 25 years, REALLY!? IT shoudl be 25 years for EACH victim!

Edited by glorybebe

Bavarian Raven

it should be longer but at least they were found guilty :/

glorybebe

it should be longer but at least they were found guilty :/

True. I am glad they were found guilty, but I really think Canada needs to start sentencing to fit the crime.

__Kratos__

Guess muslim values aren't really Western after all... Shocking. :hmm:

Edited by __Kratos__

xCrimsonx

disgust.gif50 year's each!

This kind of hing really crap's me to tear's.

The bible say's (somewhere) Its a sin to take one's life, such the opposite to their quite evil religion, take a life (family) take their own to kill other's. Martyrs are evil and are not human.,. they should of taken one for the team and done themselves in. I hope they make an example of them.

Times have changed Religion so get over it!disgust.gif

Bavarian Raven
True. I am glad they were found guilty, but I really think Canada needs to start sentencing to fit the crime.

my idea for sentencing a person who commits murder would be the following...

25 years + how many more years the person they murdered was expected to live (lets say the person is 20 when they were killed and would be expected to live to 80 otherwise. therego, the person would get the 25 year sentence + another 60 years = 85 years before parole. seems fair to me :D).

glorybebe

my idea for sentencing a person who commits murder would be the following...

25 years + how many more years the person they murdered was expected to live (lets say the person is 20 when they were killed and would be expected to live to 80 otherwise. therego, the person would get the 25 year sentence + another 60 years = 85 years before parole. seems fair to me :D).

That's a great idea! The whole thing is that they are supposed to be PUNISHED, the public is to be kept safe from them...Life in prison should be just that.

Bavarian Raven
That's a great idea! The whole thing is that they are supposed to be PUNISHED, the public is to be kept safe from them...Life in prison should be just that

very true,,,

and i am glad someone likes my idea :D

glorybebe

very true,,,

and i am glad someone likes my idea :D

LOL, maybe you should go into politics, I'd vote for you!