Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You think you understand Atheist. But…

Magicjax

Please do not discuss people personally, it only serves to inflame the discussion. If you feel another poster is behaving in an inappropriate manner please use the report button.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassea

• Magicjax

• HerNibs

• Lilly

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind I see some editing being done so I guess I should just delete my thought.

Cater to some feelings but not another that's just great on an open forum. I'm a little upset with how censored we must be. But that's fine. That's just how the fricken world works. To the op I know what you meant. And I understand. The rest of the lot just cannot admit this stuff is real. And worth discussing.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

I did not say non belief is prejudice. So you must be. Talking about someone else.

Google Rapture Ready or the CARM forums, how about Jack Chick. Each one of these flat out state that if you are not christian you are following Satan.

Nibs

Well then if the OP. Is addressing Jack Chick. It makes sense. But it doesn't. Instead it directs it to Christians. I also notice. That any other religious group. Gets off scott free. As if only Christians. Judge non believers. And this is also a stereotype. And not true.

Edited by Cassea

Just to add, it's perfectly acceptable to politely ask another poster to clarify their position. It's even acceptable to say that you don't agree with their position...the key is to do so without resorting to personal ad hom remarks. I hope this is now clear.

I did not say non belief is prejudice. So you must be. Talking about someone else.

Well then if the OP. Is addressing Jack Chick. It makes sense. But it doesn't. Instead it directs it to Christians. I also notice. That any other religious group. Gets off scott free. As if only Christians. Judge non believers. And this is also a stereotype. And not true.

Well cassea you did then you edited it out. That's fine. Enjoy.

**Yes, people are allowed to EDIT their posts if they don't feel their message is clear. A mod already gave a general warning. Consider this one yours. Stop pushing the issue.**

Edited by aquatus1

Please see my edit. The OP reads as a list of misconceptions that Atheists have about Christians. And no the you is wrong. The 'you" is someone speaking to the Christian. Not the Christian speaking to the atheist.

This is where you have it backwards. The first "you" is the person who has a misconception about an atheist. The reply is from the atheist (or a person who understands that their statement isn't correct about an atheist). You've got the point completely backwards. :)

That's where I think the confusion came from. You think I'm posing these points to a theist. But that isn't the case. I'm repeating points theists have made toward atheist and simply sharing my rebuttal of their inaccurate statement.

Didn't think my little post would stir so much. I kinda figured others would simply share their similar examples.

Edited by Magicjax

Most Christians I know. Don't believe in Santa Claus. They are aware of the difference. Most of us do believe in Evolution. So again who is the "you"

Hi Cassea. I know it is off topic and i apologize to the OP for that but i really do like to know what kind of evolution you are referring to in your post earlier.

What do you mean "what kind of evolution." Is there another kind I don't know about?

There is Micro Evolution, Macro Evolution and Pseudo Evolution.

Pseudo Evolution - That misconception of evolution alluded to for the most part by creationists that is defined as evolving from one animal to another.

You're completely missing the point. Quit defending your religion and read the question. I said we all know there's no Santa. But we use to and it wasn't all that hard to stop believing. Because there's no consequence for not doing so. I never said Christians believe in Santa or that none of them understand evolution. But some have those "misconception"

It would be wise to save your deffences for a time when you're actually under attack. That's not the case in this discussion.

That would also be a generalisation. I was brought up by parents who told me straight off the bat that Santa was not real. So I am not "used to it", and it is neither hard nor easy for me to "stop believing" in it, regardless of consequences. With that said, your reply assumes that the primary reason for continued belief actually is about consequences not actual heartfelt emotion....

Just a thought,

There is Micro Evolution, Macro Evolution and Pseudo Evolution.

Pseudo Evolution - That misconception of evolution alluded to for the most part by creationists that is defined as evolving from one animal to another.

Microevolution is the same thing as Macro Evolution. I've never heard of Psuedo Evolution. Try the link below. I hope you can educate yourself. :blush: Good Luck.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/

What do you mean "what kind of evolution." Is there another kind I don't know about?

Well, let me rephrase my question. We have creationism and evolution. How can Christians believe in evolution ?

Well, let me rephrase my question. We have creationism and evolution. How can Christians believe in evolution ?

Simple. Evolution is the method God used. Evolutionary theory is us as humans. Looking at Gods work. Finding the pattern in it. Having it work out.

Found this for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

Edited by Cassea

This post was inspired by the biker poem "But you didn't see me"

http://www.cycletrailerrental.com/editorial0031.html

So, as inspired by the biker poem. I just started writing little tidbits on these misconceptions of atheism. Below are a few of them. What would you add? I'm basically keeping it in the format of "You think…" and "But…". The first part is from a person who has a misconception about atheism and the second part is the non-theists correction of their misconception.

You think your god and your religion is the only true god and religion. 

But if you where raised in another society you'd feel the same way about a different religion or god. 

You think it's normal to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy when your a child. But as an adult you're not suppose to believe they're real. 

But why is it so easy to stop believe in those make believe things? Because they don't threaten you with eternal hell for not believing they're real. 

You think if a person doesn't believe in god then they must fallow satan. 

But since god creates Satan and we don't believe there is a god. We can't believe there's a Satan either. 

You think evolution is a theory. It is!

But there is more then one meaning to the word "theory" and you're using the wrong definition. The "theory of evolution" is as predictable as an apple falling down instead of up. 

If I may humbly submit to you this observation...only one of those four "you thinks" is a misconception about atheists. And for myself, I do not equate atheism with following Satan. I believe that an atheist can certainly be a nice person and a valuable contributing member of society. However, please keep in mind that some Christians will say, "You are either for God or against God". Can you accept as a fact that some people believe that? Please note that I'm not asking for agreement with the meaning of the statement. I know that an atheist would not claim to "be against God" since he doesn't believe in God in the first place.

Simple. Evolution is the method God used. Evolutionary theory is us as humans. Looking at Gods work. Finding the pattern in it. Having it work out.

Found this for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

Interesting. Thanks Cassea. I will have a look at it.