Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favourite book of all time?

Alienated Being

I have read probably about 20 books in my entire life, but am hoping to change that as I re-kindled (no pun intended) my interest in reading. Something about it has just appealed to me lately.

My favourite book... ever?

Probably A Wrinkle in Time. :P It's a timeless classic by madeline l'engle.

Yours?

Oooooh, great idea for a topic, I need to have a think about it --- five minutes please!

edit; Ok, it's too hard to think of one, so here are my top five that I can think of at this particular moment in time, in no particular order.

The Dispossessed: Ursula Le Guin

Mortal Engines (Series) aka Hungry City Chronicles: Philip Reeve

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Hunter S Thompson

War of the Worlds: HG Wells

Holes: Louis Sachar

I might stress that these are not what I would consider the 'best' books I have ever read, but they are some of my favorites.

2nd edit: Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles, a trilogy exploring the Arthurian legend, first one is The Winter King.... love those books!!!

Edited by Wyvernkeeper

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Shogun - James Clavel

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Fall of Giants - Ken Follett

I have read probably about 20 books in my entire life, but am hoping to change that as I re-kindled (no pun intended) my interest in reading. Something about it has just appealed to me lately.

My favourite book... ever?

Probably A Wrinkle in Time. :P It's a timeless classic by madeline l'engle.

Yours?

I have so many. I have been a verocious reader since I was very, very young. Here are just a few of my all time favorites that I can read again with some cookies and Chai Tea on a rainy day.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Yearling - Rawlings

Moby Dick - Herman Melville

The Call of the Wild - Jack London

The Old Man in the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway

Nineteen Eighty Four - Orville

Huckelberry Finn - Mark Twain

...and hundreds more, LOL

Edited by Robbie333

I have so many. I have been a verocious reader since I was very, very young. Here are just a few of my all time favorites that I can read again with some cookies and Chai Tea on a rainy day.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Yearling - Rawlings

Moby Dick - Herman Melville

The Call of the Wild - Jack London

The Old Man in the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway

Nineteen Eighty Four - Orville

Huckelberry Finn - Mark Twain

...and hundreds more, LOL

These are great reads... well except I have never read waterahip down. Though the rest are my list too

add...

Swiss family Robinson

Siddhartha by Hesse

And the eragon books by paolini too though the best by far was the last book. Quite the page Turner.

There are so very many more though. Man to list them all would be a novel in and of itself.

Lord of the rings, all three books.

And a book about the 'Pegasus Bridge' (ashamed I can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it is the one by Stephen E. Ambrose). It's a true story and was so good I gave it for free to a stranger on the plane sitting next to me on the understanding that he give it to someone else for free after.

The Dice Man.

Shelley's The Last Man

or

Tolkien's The Silmarilion

A true classic!

Greenegg.gif

I mostly read True Crime Books ( I have over 86 books about crimes ), I don't really like Fiction Books.

My list:

1. The Millenium Trilogy, by Stieg Larsson ( Basically the only Fiction books I have read in the past 10 years )

2. Severed: The True Story of the Black Dahlia Murder, by John Gilmore

3. The Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes, by Michael Newton

4. This Is the Zodiac Speaking: Into the Mind of a Serial Killer, by Michael Kelleher and David Van Nuys

5. Who Killed Betsy?: Uncovering Penn State University's Most Notorious Unsolved Crime, by Derek Sherwood

I can go on and on, I have read so many fascinating books, but that's the Top 5 I have in mind right now. :)

• Like 1

A true classic!

Greenegg.gif

BIFF READ THE BOOK

WAS HE IN A NOOK?

WAS HE IN A BED?

WAS HE IN A CHAIR LIKE SOME SAID?

BIFF IS FUNNY WE ALL KNOW

DOES HE LIKE THE CAT IN THE HAT?

OR DOES HE LIKE FAT RATS?

NO I DON'T LIKE FAT RATS BIFF SAID

ONLY BOOKS THAT ARE COLORED RED

LARGE RED BOOKS ARE ALL I READ

YESIREE, YES INDEED

BIFF READ THE BOOK

WAS HE IN A NOOK?

WAS HE IN A BED?

WAS HE IN A CHAIR LIKE SOME SAID?

BIFF IS FUNNY WE ALL KNOW

DOES HE LIKE THE CAT IN THE HAT?

OR DOES HE LIKE FAT RATS?

NO I DON'T LIKE FAT RATS BIFF SAID

ONLY BOOKS THAT ARE COLORED RED

LARGE RED BOOKS ARE ALL I READ

YESIREE, YES INDEED

:clap::tu:

Anything and everything by Christopher Moore.

Nibs

I forgot to add Robinson Crusoe ...

The Time Trilogy (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet) by Madeleine L'engle

The Oz Series by Frank Baum

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

post-50472-0-95628600-1328138484_thumb.j

Not a real book, but I wish it was.

I've always liked "The Little Prince".

I think I should put a disclaimer here pointing out that I'm a massive fan of the sci-fi/fantasy genre, so my list is going to be primarily of that genre. Probably my favourite single book had to be "Magician" by Raymond E. Feist. My favourite series would be "the Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan. Frank Herbert's "Dune" is definitely worth a mention, my favourite would be "Children of Dune".

Honourable mention must go to David Eddings' Belgariad. Terry Brooks' Shanara series, a local Aussie - Sara Douglas' Axis trilogy, and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

My favourite book as a kid (and I recommend it to any 10 year old was Brian Jacques "Redwall", and The Hobbit must be in there.

I'm sure I've missed some but this is a fair spread of my fantasy genre reading.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Oh also Ann mcaffrey's dragons of perm series...

One of my favorites remains to be "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. First read it as a kid in school and it slapped me into reality and a new way of thinking that I'll forever be grateful for.

i loved loved loved secret garden.. and heidi.. as well as the little house series.

HOWEVER.... when it comes to Ann Bishop and her Black Jewels books... oooooooooooh my.. I have read them so many times that the paper backs fell apart and I had to buy another copy.. and I mean ALL of them from the trilogy to the ones about Lady Cassidy..

I also like Ann McCaffrey... her Companion books.. and the Owl ones that I think she did with Larry Dixon

I also greatly enjoy Wheel of Time.. just wish he didnt die before completing the last book.

then there are the tamora peirce books.. woohoo

Asimov.. yum yum, as a child I read him.. foundation series.. he was my first *blushes* in sci fi, ever read his lucky starr series? I soooooooo wish I had them now..

There is also *and I admit it is childish*.. Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, and The Giver Trilogy, sadly so far I have not read Gathering Blue yet, I need to go to the book store and get them

I am a lucky one, I can go to the Scholastic Book Store here in town and get paperbacks for 25 cents plus tax and Hardbacks for $2 plus tax.. so you know what I give out for xmas.. plus when they have their employee Book Box sales *woohoo*.. basically You give them 15 bux plus tax.. they give you a box.. hrmm bout a 28" by 12" by i think bout 12 inch tall.. and you go 'boxter diving', its in the warehouse.. they take boxes off the plats and dump them in all these huge dumpster like boxes.. and you go through em, find what you want.. the only rules are .. you must be able to tape the box lids flat shut, with just a small bulge if needed.

And only three cd's per box, but truth told.. no one checks *grins* I have seem people come out with wii games, ds games.. et et.. by the handfuls, in the bottom of the box and lots of books on top!

so you can bet.. I get a lot of books by scholastic.. three bookcase fulls. My neighbors keep asking me when the next warehouse box sale is, i am allowed to bring two people with me.. and everyone wants to be my 'buddy' for those days. We only have like three to four a yr... sadly.

anyways, there ya go!

Oh yeah! I forgot this one too:

contract_trilogy_cv_300.jpgThe Contract with God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Ave.

Edited by Dosojin Midnight

Oh also Ann mcaffrey's dragons of perm series...

Oh yeah that's right the dragons of perm* the salon saga... LOL

I meant pern ... auto correct is awesome sometimes.