Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Taking E.T. So Long to Find Us?

Still Waters

Perhaps so, but even with advancements in technology (like that proposed in the Universe Today article) such travel would most likely have to be generational. It's a long, long way to the stars.

I would go with out question. As long as there are other people. Plus there are ways of cheating the light of speed we can not even come close to acheiving. Example Star Trek warps space and uses worm holes. The tech to to do so is beyond me nore the mass of our little star. Deep space travel is so far off for us that Mars looks tough.

I think any alien species traveling the stars would pass us by as we would passing a small bug all the while looking for a mountian gorilla.

Even if we're able to develop the ability to travel approaching light speed there's still the problem of time dilation. So basically, even if we can create engines that are powerful enough to reach other stars in our galaxy (within 40 or so years) there's still the problem regarding time. Explorers would find when returning to Earth that thousands of years would have elapsed during their absence. I suspect not too many would be willing to volunteer for such a trip. Any ETs would probably face similar problems with interstellar travel as well.

But what if you sit backwards in the space craft on your trip, and drink lots of Starbucks so not to sleep ? This maybe the way E.T does it ? :wacko:

post-68971-0-45182700-1328240976_thumb.j

Perhaps so, but even with advancements in technology (like that proposed in the Universe Today article) such travel would most likely have to be generational. It's a long, long way to the stars.

Yeah it surely would be a long trip, but I think that given enough time and resources that we will find better ways to travel long distances in shorter periods of time. I know that Einstein created rules that mass cannot move faster than light(or achieve it for that matter), but looking at what science has been and how it progressed over the past few centuries, who knows what will be possible.

It is just my personal feeling, but when I look back over the history of science, and all of the things that were impossible at one point, and how the once impossible is not only possible, but common. Who knows what science could do with 500 years of well funded research.

From the very first plane flight(measured in yards) at the turn of the last century led to aircraft that were once undreamed of, and led to rockets and ultimately putting us in space. That was just in the span of 6 decades or so.Each of those developments along the way were filled with "impossibles" of one form or another. Things are only impossible until the right person gets the right idea.

I will never live to see it, but(Should we all not blow ourselves up)I can see a time 500 years from now that looks back at us and all of the self imposed limitations created and they will laugh at us, as we do when we read about "doctors" who repeatedly bled patients to get the bad stuff out of their body...

Maybe "C" is impossible to travel past in our current understanding, but who knows what IS possibly when we really work at it. Yeah, C is our limit, but that no longer matters when we learn how to create a stable wormhole and can get from place A-Q without having to pass B----P.

I don't know...I would love to see what 500 years of science could give us.

It may be very hard and even generational but, Hedman and Hair seem to allow 500 years for 5 ly trips from what I've read. That is about 40 times faster than the Helios 2 probe the Universe Today article mentions, while that is very 'fast', remeber the paper is talking about a 250 million year time frame. In contrast, our own current "space age" is less than 70 years old! :blush:

If there where intelligent ETs in the same starsystem it would be A LOT easier to make first contact. But, with 1 species/system (chanses of that is zero) and with the unimaginable distances between stars, its extreeeemly unlikely that they will ever find eachother.... or for that matter find a way to visit.

Edited by DBunker

If the universe and our galaxy is as teeming with life as we all hope - then perhaps we just aren't that interesting. We're probably just another pre-interstellar race with nothing to offer.

we might have already missed it

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory, Delaware, Ohio. The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal

Wow_signal.jpg

Radio signals travel at the speed of light. why do we not have some definite signals from space.The answere is DISTANCE and time travel. How do aliens know we are here.Yu say they are not interested,Isay they have not detected us yet.

I agree , they seem to presume a hell of a lot .

yes it is full of presumptions and yet he states a definitive conclusion :w00t::wacko:

from article:

Whatever the reason we're being ignored, there is no chance ET, if he exists, does not know we are here, Hair said, pointing to telescopes, such as NASA's Kepler observatory, which can detect planets around other stars.

so by this strange logic, if only us and one other life form exists on another planet, if they too had a mathematician quoting the same words...well he would be wrong would he not? i.e. the alien maths guy says so if ET (us) exists then there is no chance they dont know about us...well we dont and therefore this theory falls down quite heavily on this fact alone.

BTW Professor Hair sounds like an alias !

Tip

hmmmm Giorgio perhaps :P

The answer is in the first line :-

Mathematically speaking, ET would have found us by now -- if he exists -- so we’re being consciously avoided for some reason, a new study concludes.

The answer is in the first line :-

Mathematically speaking, ET would have found us by now -- if he exists -- so we’re being consciously avoided for some reason, a new study concludes.

"A new study concludes"... :lol:

• Like 1

The only study is mathematical.. Do you know you can prove anything you want with maths. QED

:yes:

The only study is mathematical.. Do you know you can prove anything you want with maths. QED

Ok, prove to me mathematically that a strawberry is not an apple :)

What's taking E.T. so long to find us? Yeah, lets just disregard all the unexplainable craft flying around in our air space.

If the universe and our galaxy is as teeming with life as we all hope - then perhaps we just aren't that interesting. We're probably just another pre-interstellar race with nothing to offer.

I agree with you, and if i were an ET i would think it would be suicide to enter our planet. Most likely they would get shot at.. by just coming in peace. Still i think they don't have any interest in us, maybe they are observing us and thinking " Will this race survive 'till first contact? " ( based on their non-motive speculation ).

What's taking E.T. so long to find us? Yeah, lets just disregard all the unexplainable craft flying around in our air space.

US black projects, maybe even russians projects. :ph34r:

The cumulative evidence is soooo overwhelming that they are already here (thus agreeing with the mathematical proof). The ongoing "quack science" label on ufology by the greater public science is one of the greatest "the King is naked" stories of human history.... we put people to death in this country based on human testimony...yet testimony and video from thousands, and physical evidence like radar recordings/ radioactive trails/ 25,000 yr old diorite monuments cut with lazer precision, etc.... wont be taken seriously.....sigh

@Englishgent OK, we need to construct a pie-chart to begin with.

A fruit pie chart? :wacko:

The evidence is overwhelming that they have been here and continue to come here. Unfortunately, we have many people who are so full of themselves that unless the aliens talk to them personally or show up on the tv with their 15 secs. of fame everyday, they don't exist. It could be that except for being the main ingredient in some rather tasty intergalactic BBQ ribs, you probably just don't have anything of interest to them.

Yes English Gent ,given enough space I can prove that the world is flat and is one enormous landing area for alien craft. Also I can prove that we all have alien genes ,but noone will believe it so why trouble. I am italiangent Leonardo was my uncle