Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tub of lard found fit to eat after 64 years

Still Waters

A 64-year-old tub of American lard has been deemed fit for human consumption by food safety authorities in the eastern German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

Millions of tins of “Swift’s Bland Lard” – a pig fat which was used as a spread similar to butter or as a cooking fat – were distributed by US soldiers to West Germans after World War II in care packages that included other essentials like powdered milk, cheese and sugar.

Some of those made their way to communist East Germany, including one to Hans Feldmeier, a pharmacist from the Baltic Sea town of Warnemünde who never opened the can.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• Sundew

• Habitat

• Biff Wellington

Ow. Gross. That can't truly be healthy. Dx

Don't know why, but when I read the thread title I immediately thought of Elton John. lol

Good god how hungry do you have to be to think..

"hmmm? I wonder if this 60 year old can of lard is edible??" sick0020.gif

Maybe his pension is really bad :unsure:

I have seen 64 year old "tubs of lard" (often at a buffet), apparently not only fit to eat, but making eating their life's avocation. I think the only exercise they get is lifting their forks to their mouths. Very sad.

I have seen 64 year old "tubs of lard" (often at a buffet), apparently not only fit to eat, but making eating their life's avocation. I think the only exercise they get is lifting their forks to their mouths. Very sad.

Maybe obesity is an index of unhappiness,"comfort" eating makes people fat. As does drinking too much alcohol.

But not so sad, apparently, to stop you from castigating them for their broken humanity. But hey, it's okay, they're fat - the last safe group to vilify and demonize.

Yeah man, look at those fat people enjoying dinner. I bet they hate their lives. I should feel sad for them.

This is a really good idea for all the 2012 doomsday survivalists and their canned-food fetish.

If you really wanna go long, get a tub 'o lard.

Apart from the grossness factor of the whole thing, the funniest bit has to be that the state sent him back the tin - empty! lol