Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coast to Coast

ohio state buckeyes

I miss Ian Punnett the show has lost all most of its credibility Wells and are hacks. George Knapp is the only good thing about it not on much

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ohio state buckeyes

• darkmoonlady

• MissMelsWell

• regeneratia

I miss Ian Punnett the show has lost all most of its credibility Wells and are hacks. George Knapp is the only good thing about it not on much

And again in English?

Ian leaving was sad, especially over a health issue but he wasn't the best host on the show. He usually had what I thought of as soft peddled paranormal guests, or just flat out NON paranormal guests. I enjoyed him as a person on the show when he hosted but some of his chosen topics were very boring. John Wells is okay, he gets the real utter LOONS on which is really harkening back to the Art Bell days when he'd have open lines and discover the crazy stories (Mel's Hole, An Alien Blew up my Dog, etc). The best host is George Knapp and I wish they'd just give him the show every time he hosts, he has great topics, great stories and even if they aren't paranormal they are interesting. George Noory sadly has sort of just become a book hawker who interviews other book hawkers. If they don't have some supernatural hardback about angels and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel he just doesn't take an interest. Hopefully just as the show has evolved over the years, some good changes, some bad, the future will see some positive changes. Unless they let Rob Simone host more, he just plain sucks. I've never heard a bigger Hollywood butt kisser than that guy and yet he can't keep all the celebs he mixes with straight. Real poser.

Coast to Coast losing its credibility?

*thinks back to the hilarious Art Bell days*

I don't think it had all that much credibility to begin with.

Ian leaving was sad, especially over a health issue but he wasn't the best host on the show. He usually had what I thought of as soft peddled paranormal guests, or just flat out NON paranormal guests. I enjoyed him as a person on the show when he hosted but some of his chosen topics were very boring. John Wells is okay, he gets the real utter LOONS on which is really harkening back to the Art Bell days when he'd have open lines and discover the crazy stories (Mel's Hole, An Alien Blew up my Dog, etc). The best host is George Knapp and I wish they'd just give him the show every time he hosts, he has great topics, great stories and even if they aren't paranormal they are interesting. George Noory sadly has sort of just become a book hawker who interviews other book hawkers. If they don't have some supernatural hardback about angels and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel he just doesn't take an interest. Hopefully just as the show has evolved over the years, some good changes, some bad, the future will see some positive changes. Unless they let Rob Simone host more, he just plain sucks. I've never heard a bigger Hollywood butt kisser than that guy and yet he can't keep all the celebs he mixes with straight. Real poser.

You mean it's the hosts who actually chose the guests and topics?

I have never seen this programme so cannot comment on it, but if it sucks so bad, why do peeps watch it? :unsure2:

I have never seen this programme so cannot comment on it, but if it sucks so bad, why do peeps watch it? :unsure2:

I believe people tune in because it used to be an entertaining and thought provoking radio program. But it currently doesnt live up to its past hosts after some people left and new faces were introduced.

Because it's free :tu:

You mean it's the hosts who actually chose the guests and topics?

I got the vibe that that was often the case. Especially with Punnett and Knapp.

Because it's free :tu:

Nope, because it makes money off a scam that pleases brain dead listeners.

Edited by The Silver Thong

When Art hosted years back, when the show was really at its best, the show was HUGELY entertaining. Even if you didn't believe any of it, the stories were captivating. George Noory has turned into a mostly interview show and his callers get cut off when they are attempting to tell good stories. Art had great guests but he relied on callers and he would let a story unfold (whether they were real or not who cares it was fun) but George can't do that for fear his book guests won't sell enough copies. Ian always took a more religious based bent to his stories because I believe he's a deacon.

As someone who listens almost nightly, I don't believe the majority of the stuff I hear but it's interesting to listen to and occasionally you learn things you didn't know. The overall quality if the shows has gone steadily down if not for a few really great guest hosts and those are the ones I check to see are hosting.

I listened to Art Bell back in the late 80s early 90s when Coast to Coast slid into what used to be Larry King's overnight time slot on most networks. I LOVED Coast to Coast at that time. It was more a political and current events show back then, with only Sunday's being "Dreamland" Art's paranormal show. Back then, his Dreamland show was full of skeptism, good debate and some seroiusly WHACKY guests and callers. There were some epic funny shows where Art would pit Stanton Freidman against that douche Richard Hoagland and let them battle it out... Hoagland would always have a hissy fit and hang up on them. It was entertaining hilarity at its finest. At the time, Bell didn't agree and pander to every loon on his show. He held them to task more or less. If they were being over the edge nutcases, he'd call them on it. Once Coast to Coast switched its format to all paranormal all the time, it was pretty good for a couple of years, then it just started to slide. His marriage started to tank, his kid went through a really rough incident and Art's show just floundered. It's been floundering ever since. In fact, it's been downright boring for 15 years.

But man, in those early years, there were some real characters on that show, both guests and callers alike. Mel from Mel's hole was a specific favorite of mine because I know Manastash ridge that he talked about pretty well, and when I heard that call live, I was actually driving through Ellensburg with a friend when we heard Mel call in. My screen name here is in reference to that show. I used to love hearing that loon "Mad Man Markham" who was trying to build a time machine, and there was also another caller whose name I can't recall now (Chainsaw Charlie? Or something like that) who used to call and rant and rave and no one ever knew what he was talking about. LOL. Art would just bait him night after night. Very funny. The lack of call screeners made the show so chaotic and so fun.

Around the same time, in the early 90s, we had a local Seattle show that aired on Saturday nights which was similar to Arts show, hosted by Laura Lee. She had this totally sexy smoky overnight radio voice and she was whip smart, and she had a lot of the same guests Art did, you'd hear Stanton Friedman on Saturday night on Laura's show, then you'd hear Friedman the following night on Art's Sunday Dreamland show again--she also put Friedman up against Hoagland more than once, generally with the same results, Hoagland would cry like a girl and hang up on them LOL. I used to just love Saturday and Sunday night radio. Not so much anymore. I can't think of an overnight radio host these days that I'd even consider listening to anymore. That's sad.

^ That was a pretty cool read about the history of the show MMW. I have listened to Coast to Coast on and off for about 10 years. I enjoyed it more when I worked late nights, and still enjoy when I am out late and think about turning it on. However, if I am at home I usually find something else to listen to or watch. I don't need to believe everything in an episode to like listening to it. Like posted above, if someone vehemently hates this show, or the hosts / guests, it is pretty easy to avoid.

The few times I've listened to Wells he seems like a loon. Punnett and Knapp come across as level headed , George Noory is just way to new age for me. Sorry for errors when I started the topic.

Nope, because it makes money off a scam that pleases brain dead listeners.

Some times that true but Punnett and Knapp have some really cool shows.

I almost wish Art Bell would come back, not to do Coast to Coast and the paranormal thing, but to do his free form current events and political show like he did in the early 90s. He's an amazing radio show host in that respect. He doesn't really have any political leanings but likes to tackle individual subjects albeit there was always a subtle undertone of the lurking conspiracy theory which kept things interesting. He was good at the "what if" style of conversation.

If Art Bell came back to do his current events show in the same freeform home grown style he used to do, Id be all over it.

I could not agree more. Ian Punnett was the only good hoast on that show. That old fart Art Bell, Mr.Incredible story Noory, and then the new (Ill agree with the loonies long as I get to be on c2c) guys.

Seriously,... What the hell is sci-fi/fantasy radio comming to!!?? :angry:

I heard hundreds of shows,... but, I think enough is enough.

R.I.P

Edited by Hazzard

I could not agree more. Ian Punnett was the only good hoast on that show. That old fart Art Bell, Mr.Incredible story Noory, and then the new (Ill agree with the loonies long as I get to be on c2c) guys.

Seriously,... What the hell is sci-fi/fantasy radio comming to!!?? :angry:

I heard hundreds of shows,... but, I think enough is enough.

R.I.P

Scfi/ /fantasy ? I would agree most of it crazy and has no credibility but not all of it. Punnett showed you could talk about the unknown and have a level head at the same time and find quests that have some credibility.

Ian is great and I'm glad he's still hosting the show one Sunday a month. I was sorry to see him go due to his health issue (severe tinnitus) but at the same time, he was a softpeddler when it came to guests on the show. That I think is the one thing missing from all the current guests except George Knapp (possibly because he's a reporter) is someone who asks hard questions. George Noory seems incapable, Rob Simone is too busy licking the toes of any B-rate celeb he can, John Wells guests are insane. The show had a much harder edge with Art (who Hazzard was NOT an old fart IMO) that it lacks with other hosts. The context of the show now also changed I think with 9/11 in that conspiracy theories were a generally underground sort of topic and they really came to the forefront after that. The focus of the show was less UFO, less ghost/paranomal and more political until George Noory took over. He took it into the realm of a paranormal book interview night after night. It as a show still has good parts but overall I think it needs a revamp if it's going to keep its listeners interested.

Edited by darkmoonlady

• 5 months later...

I disagree.

I love Wells (a lot, love the controversial). I love knapp and noory. But wells is intriguing.

It got to where I didn't listen to the Ian nights. He was the one who grated on my nerves. But hey, I cant run C2C so I just avoid what I want to.

I am not impressed with the Deacon stuff, and try hard to avoid the Christian dogma.

Anybody know of torrent site to download current shows. Used to get off Demonoid but they have been hacked

It is worth becoming a member.

I would really like to see a thread here to be able to discuss the C2C shows.