Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Christians?

Rickety

I have a question for everyone out there... Why is Christianity the only religion that's constantly under fire? I mean look I can understand if you have a scientific way of thinking and it's hard for you to understand the concept of God and what not. But why is it just Christianity? When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people there's really no need to try and disprove that." and Buddhism is pretty much the same story, every other religion gets by with the "They're so peaceful." excuse but yet Christianity, which teaches to always be good and humble and reserved, is constantly under fire by the secular world? Why is that? What have we done to deserve to be the only religion that is constantly being "disproved" and we're constantly thwarted and harassed by secular society. Please tell me why this is.

If it makes you feel better, I'm not a believer in god by any means, but I dislike most atheists. They tend to be d**** about their opinion. Most can't just not believe & let others believe.

Hard to accept not to understand.

One must accept before one can move on to a higher acceptance of understanding. If one does not accept it, one can not understand.

Accepting something before understanding it? Isn't it the other way around? and as to your question it's probably christianity's violent history. It may not be the only one but it is certainly well known and documented. Also no one likes to be told what they believe is wrong. "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour?" is understood as "have you realized your beliefs are wrong and mine are right yet?"

Edited by Dragons2

Accepting something before understanding it? Isn't it the other way around? and as to your question it's probably christianity's violent history. It may not be the only one but it is certainly well known and documented. Also no one likes to be told what they believe is wrong. "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour?" is understood as "have you realized your beliefs are wrong and mine are right yet?"

Actually in order to understand you must accept it as truth. Consider it like this. Someone who understands dogs have already accepted them as good and loving creatures. You can't really understand something until you accept it. And yes, everyone is always pointing to the crusades, and why? Really I mean it was 500 years ago... Aren't we past that yet? Secular society is really holding a grudge for 500 years? Come on people, I think we've established that the modern day Christian doesn't wanna kill those who won't accept the truth. I mean when there were radical Muslims who attacked people everyone was saying "Well Muslims are actually peaceful people, you can't judge a whole religion based on a few radicals." so why does that apply to them and not us? My question is why is it acceptable for other religions and not ours?

And to your thing about people not wanting to be told they're wrong... People are constantly telling us we're wrong and that our beliefs are flawed and ridiculous. So... Again... Why is it acceptable for them and not us?

I have a question for everyone out there... Why is Christianity the only religion that's constantly under fire? I mean look I can understand if you have a scientific way of thinking and it's hard for you to understand the concept of God and what not. But why is it just Christianity? When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people there's really no need to try and disprove that." and Buddhism is pretty much the same story, every other religion gets by with the "They're so peaceful." excuse but yet Christianity, which teaches to always be good and humble and reserved, is constantly under fire by the secular world? Why is that? What have we done to deserve to be the only religion that is constantly being "disproved" and we're constantly thwarted and harassed by secular society. Please tell me why this is.

Nope I can't agree with you. Christians like to talk about how everybody gives them a hard time and all that, but the truth is that every belief system including atheism gets a lot of flak from those outside of it. Add in the fact that many people love to mock anything held sacred regardless of what it is and you see that its all very balanced out really

I like Christianity on paper. It's the way some Christians think & act that drive me crazy. Proselytizing, for instance. Condemning to hell people who are non-Christian. The TV evangelists who prosper greatly, while Jesus himself was a humble man not out to line his pockets. Then there's the history: the Crusades, the witch-burnings, assigning women 2nd class status, the patriarchy. The claim that they speak for God, as if God couldn't speak to me personally if he saw the need. The lack of respect for other beliefs & religions. Not all Christians behave this way, I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't, whether he was the son of God or just a man.

Because the deceiver knows who the real Deity is and attacks those of faith. It really is that simple. Christ said that in the last days perilous times would come. I'm pretty sure he meant those perils would be faced by His church. So be of good cheer :) He has already overcome the deceiver Ha Satan. I think He's coming very soon now and the angry railings of spiteful, misguided souls is for us a call to love and forgive. :tu:

When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people
hahaha really? have you not turned on your tv in 12 years?

Because the deceiver knows who the real Deity is and attacks those of faith. It really is that simple. Christ said that in the last days perilous times would come. I'm pretty sure he meant those perils would be faced by His church. So be of good cheer :) He has already overcome the deceiver Ha Satan. I think He's coming very soon now and the angry railings of spiteful, misguided souls is for us a call to love and forgive. :tu:

Am I misguided because I dont believe?

Hmmmm I've never heard such comments about Muslims. I've heard fire against every religion including Christianity, though a lot of the fire on other religions CAME from Christians... my family is Methodist/Baptist and as I was growing up I heard how Buddhists, Pagans, Jews, Muslims, et al were wrong and worshipping false gods or similar. Christians happen to be the religion most known to be out in the streets actively trying to convert and putting yourself more in people's faces will cause you to draw more of the criticism.

I've heard the positive and negative from people of all walks, some of it is just more publicized or public.

Perhaps more and more people today are realizing that most Christians do not follow Christ’s sermon on the mount. And yes I mean most.

Then there’s the blood filled history of the Christian nations that are still proclaiming to be Christian and the light of the civilized world (but instead are setting it alight literally due to the past and present bullying, insulting and demonizing of other countries’ way of life, religion and politics) but in no way act like Christ would. Christian killing Christian and anyone else for that matter.

Gandhi said something like: “I love your Christ but I hate Christians as you do not follow your Christ”.

And it’s too much to handle the constant trumpeting that accepting Christ is the only way.

And actually there is a lot of slamming of the Muslim. And more and more so as more and more Muslims turn away from the original teaching just like the Christians did. And negative propaganda spread about them from Christian countries. With the Arab Spring look at the fear from the West that the uprisings would lead to the countries being even more Islam dominated. Christians should know all about fanatical religion with its unfortunate history of invasion and slaughter.

The savagery and wars among Buddhists is rarely mentioned as to do so would shatter the rose tinted glasses of the peaceful Buddhist image most have been feed and believed. Then the political agenda of Free Tibet cause would collapse.

Israel is totally out of bounds no matter what they do or you’re automatically called a Jew hater. The UN only slaps them on the wrist though they openly abuse international laws.

Natives are ridiculed for their beliefs. Main reason why they now hate sharing and keep close their beliefs mostly. I follow the indian/native way in my heart and much as possible in practice and there's no end of the ridicule I get.

And it is true as one poster here stated that athiests also get flack all the time. And it does seem Christians are the most vocal. Other religions tend to earn their respect by actions not words. That is why Islam until 9/11 was very appealing to a lot of people and still is.

Truth is a fragile thing. Those who speak up get ridiculed and squashed.

It's probably because bad people and corrupt politicians use Christianity to do bad things. It could also have something to do with many Christians not having read the bible in it's entirety and butchering it's message. Or it could be that it is the most recognized religion in the Western world.

It isn't just christians in general in my opinion. There are plenty well informed, respectful people who follow christ, and they are better people for it. As for the islam comment, I can only laugh...

The problem lies with the considerable number of christians who wish to force their beliefs on everyone else, as if their "truth" is the only truth, without respect for other opinions.

post-2832-0-63807900-1328432394_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It isn't just christians in general in my opinion. There are plenty well informed, respectful people who follow christ, and they are better people for it. As for the islam comment, I can only laugh...

The problem lies with the considerable number of christians who wish to force their beliefs on everyone else, as if their "truth" is the only truth, without respect for other opinions.

That cartoon clip just about sums it up nicely :)

It's probably because bad people and corrupt politicians use Christianity to do bad things. It could also have something to do with many Christians not having read the bible in it's entirety and butchering it's message. Or it could be that it is the most recognized religion in the Western world.

I think we are well past the times of the crusades during which, your statemant above would be quite correct.

Today, I dont think religion enters into the minds of most politicians when contemplating things like waging war on another country. It is more financial reasons (oil supply) or things like ''national security'' or even humanitarian reasons. :)

I agree with all you have posted here..

When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people there's really no need to try and disprove that."
Nonsense.
but yet Christianity, which teaches to always be good and humble and reserved, is constantly under fire by the secular world? Why is that? What have we done to deserve to be the only religion that is constantly being "disproved" and we're constantly thwarted and harassed by secular society. Please tell me why this is.

Retaliation. Christianity has a reputation of demonizing non-christians, and non-christian beliefs.

I'm not a Christian, yet the Christian right has spent the last 20 years attempting to legislate their morality & beliefs into laws that I would have to abide by, despite our country's history of separation of church & state. Go out on the internet and look at how Christians have influenced foreign aid policy, denying condoms & other birth control methods to the poor, ignoring the high rate of AIDS infection,at a cost to their lives. Take a look at how Christians have attempted to influence Planned Parenthood's funding & policies, again at a personal cost to the poor. The insistence that abortion should be illegal, without exception to rape, incest, or danger to the mother's health. How about the attempts to ban the teaching of evolution in schools? whether one believes in evolution or not, it's an important scientific theory that should be included in the classroom, as opposed to intelligent design, which is a Christian theory with no science behind it, and has no business in public schools. Then there's the opposition to stem cell research based on the idea that it would kill human life, despite the lives it would save. Why did the debate turn on religion rather than science or medicine?

I don't care whether someone is Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, an atheist, or a pagan. I do care when any religion attempts to impose and legislate their beliefs into law, and will always oppose it.

Nonsense.

Retaliation. Christianity has a reputation of demonizing non-christians, and non-christian beliefs.

Maybe because as the major religion and a powerful political voice, Christians have thwarted & harassed non-Christians? Christianity in the US is anything BUT a victim. You can't be a majority as the Christians are and at the same time claim to be treated like a minority.

Exactly

Some use violent force.

Tyranny

Edited by HavocWing

Maybe because as the major religion and a powerful political voice, Christians have thwarted & harassed non-Christians? Christianity in the US is anything BUT a victim. You can't be a majority as the Christians are and at the same time claim to be treated like a minority.

The proselytizing method aims at making non-christians look lost or pathetic. In the US it's more obvious. Edited by Rlyeh

I feel that people tend to be very quick to say "No that's not true..." without really backing it up. And again with the crusades... I thought we went over that, it was wrong, it was 500 years ago... Get over it. And I'm sorry but I really expected more respectful posting from a Forum Moderator who is representing this website =/ I mean really...

And we do not do anything other than what all other religions do, we teach our children about Christ, we try to convert others and yes we believe that our truth is the only truth... I mean... It IS a religion after all... What else do you expect?

And I think you would be surprised at how Jesus was. He wasn't a nicey nice man, our God is a God of love but He is also a God of terrible wrath, so His son was also of this nature. He wanted peace but He also told people "You're a dirty rotten sinner!! And you need to repent!!" and guess what... People respected Him for preaching His message. Now when you try to preach your message they try to tell you that you're not allowed to. Yes we have freedom of religion in this country but we also have freedom of speech. Honestly though... With the modern christian, when was the last time somebody came up to you and tried to convert you so violently that it was too much for you to handle, when was the last time someone told you "You're going to hell!! You need Jesus you no good sinner!!" I'm gonna go ahead and say it's been quite a while, if it's ever happened to you at all. You may come at me and say "But the preachers in the pulpits do that all the time!" but that is our right, we have the right to say whatever we want to whomever we want, whenever we want, that is our basic right as an American, if you don't want to hear it, it's simple, don't go to church. We're not supposed to make you feel good, church is about getting a message from God and getting your life right through someone telling you that God said what you're doing is wrong, right here in the bible, that is what we believe and yet we are constantly told "But you're wrong, it's simply not right, YOUR God can't exist." so why not just leave us alone? Why not just say "Okay they believe this, I don't, let's leave it at that." when we minister to people, if they don't want to accept it then we leave them alone and kindly ask them to read our material and leave it in God's hands after that. Jesus wouldn't have been that nice to you, He probably would have told you "You know you're a dirty sinner!! You know what you're doing is wrong!!" our nation is way too concerned with hurting people's feelings.

Nonsense.

So then it's okay for a Muslim man to call you and infidel? But not for us to call you a sinner?