Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

Elyshia

Hi,

I'm 22 years old I have a son that will be 2 years old next week. I've suffered with sleep paralysis since I was a child on and off. I've never associated it with anything ghostly I'm a pretty rational and logical person. However about 10 months ago I started to have sleep paralysis regularly, it started to bring on panic attacks and anxiety ect... I was going through alot of stress so it made sense really. And my doctor put me on Zoloft. I also found out my grandfather used to suffer with it. Up until last night I hadn't had an episode since I started taking the medication.

I woke up last night fighting to move and very confused as I always do in these episodes, my right eye kept closing and I kept going in and out of consciousness even when I was walking around and went to check on my son. The right side of my chest was uncomfortable and my whole body felt week. I finally went back to sleep at 4AM. I still refused to worry about some 'paranormal activity' even though all morning Ive felt dizzy, tired, week and my face and chest still just feel very odd until my mother who has my son (River) while Im at work just txt me this 'River has been arguing with Mr. Nobody, he has been shouting 'no they are mine' and pulling his strawberries away from no one. When I asked who he was shouting at he just pointed next to him' I don't want to believe somethings happeing to us but its starting to become hard to deny.

As not only has this happened but last week I woke up at exactly 3.33 AM hearing something but I still don't know what exactly it was. And the more I think the more I remember these odd happenings I've chosen to ignore and rationalise.

Can anyone help me?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knight Of Shadows

• Rafterman

• Goodnite

• Elyshia

Have you checked back in with your physician? Perhaps he/she will change your dosage or recommend a new drug. Some quiet meditation before bed might be helpful as well.

As for your two-year-old, I wouldn't worry. In fact, I'd encourage that type of behavior as much as possible - active imaginations are great for cognitive development. I'd be concerned if your child wasn't exhibiting such behavior.

Everything you're describing is fully understood by science. There's absolutely nothing paranormal going on here.

Although I'm not a Doctor (I play one on TV) I would agree with Rafterman that you have nothing to worry about.

I don't mean to offend you, but have you or your grandfather ever been involved with anything occult, spanning from at least 4 generations?

• 1 month later...

Ive been suffering from sleep paralysis myself for about eight years now, but I only recently discovered that it had an explanation rooted in science. When it first began I was positive I was being harrased by some manevolent spirit because I always felt this "presence" before and after the attacks. I still do, but now I realize that its just my irrational mind trying to explain something it doesent understand.

As for your kid, I have to agree with Rafterman, just an active imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a hard topic to understand. Science tells you one thing and your mind tells you something different. I'm a believer in the paranormal and I've seen many experiences in my life time. Your child could be going through a stage that all children go through, the one with invisible friends. But it could be something else. Just be careful.

This is a hard topic to understand. Science tells you one thing and your mind tells you something different. I'm a believer in the paranormal and I've seen many experiences in my life time. Your child could be going through a stage that all children go through, the one with invisible friends. But it could be something else. Just be careful.

this is very possible and i agree with pixie...just be careful and watchful

one of my daughters had a 'friend'...but it really wasn't imaginary, but it took awhile to figure out...

on the other hand, my granddaughter was seeing something not so nice...and that was much more disturbing....kids do have imaginations, but...especially if there is history--some children are just more 'attuned' shall we say..

as for your sleep paralysis...maybe it is and maybe it isn't...

i've slept 6 hours for the past 48 hours and guess who i have to thank for that ? right SP damn i hate it

it doesnt'really stop for like once and for all

it stops for month comes back after a bit and so random it's really extremely annoying

tell you what if you find something out let me know :D

i've slept 6 hours for the past 48 hours and guess who i have to thank for that ? right SP damn i hate it

it doesnt'really stop for like once and for all

it stops for month comes back after a bit and so random it's really extremely annoying

tell you what if you find something out let me know :D

Have you spoken with your physician? Has he/she prescribed an overnight sleep study for you?

no not really i don't go to doctors or such since i was 12 am healthy as they come

i kinda of let it pass it does for a period of time and comes back strong or light but you get used to it

doesn't mean it's gonna get any less annoying or sleep disturbing .. but what the hell right ? :D

we could do stay up at night few days of the week every now and then don't we

• 2 weeks later...

I love your son's name, btw! :tu:

I'm sorry to read of your trouble with SP, I have been dealing with it for years and it just really sucks. I've finally gotten to the point where when it happens I just shrug and pull myself out of it, wake up for a few minutes and then go back to sleep. It used to freak me out, now I kinda feel it's more annoying than anything else. I've done my research too and I've determined it's pretty much a sleep disorder/issue, but I used to think it was a paranormal thing. I've had some crazy episodes, such as being dragged out of bed, across the room, under the bed and had things crawl into bed with me and hold my hand, all while under SP. It's just a really weird thing and I've toyed with the notion of taking it further and Astro project or experiment with lucid dreaming but at the same time stuff like that makes me a little uncomfortable so I don't know...just know millions of people deal with this and you're not alone. I was shocked and yet somewhat happy to find out how common this is. I mostly have it when I lay on my back, and it's really annoying when you can actually feel it coming on, but I've also had it when I've been on my side as well, although not as frequent. I also noticed I tend to have it when I'm stressed and about to fall asleep. :sleepy: It seems to happen off and on but there are times it will happen 3-4 times in one night. <_<

As for your son - my daughter had an imaginary friend as well, I just tried to pay as little attention to it and and not make a big deal; because honestly at times some of the things she'd say in relation to this friend (name was Hangela - pronounced Angela but with an H in front) was a little unnerving, especially the day she told me that Hangela hated me, and that she would make spikes come out of my neck (wtf??). I had a long talk with my daughter and this issue did disappear over time. My daughter is now 15 and doesn't remember Hangela. I just have to chalk it up to her imagination. And no, I nor my daughter are crazy, but I do have a history of pyschics, mediums and occult in my family, not from me but my grandparents/past relatives, but that is another thread entirely.

Best of luck to you - please don't worry. You're definitely not alone with these issues.

Edited by violetlight

I love your son's name, btw! :tu:

I'm sorry to read of your trouble with SP, I have been dealing with it for years and it just really sucks. I've finally gotten to the point where when it happens I just shrug and pull myself out of it, wake up for a few minutes and then go back to sleep. It used to freak me out, now I kinda feel it's more annoying than anything else. I've done my research too and I've determined it's pretty much a sleep disorder/issue, but I used to think it was a paranormal thing. I've had some crazy episodes, such as being dragged out of bed, across the room, under the bed and had things crawl into bed with me and hold my hand, all while under SP. It's just a really weird thing and I've toyed with the notion of taking it further and Astro project or experiment with lucid dreaming but at the same time stuff like that makes me a little uncomfortable so I don't know...just know millions of people deal with this and you're not alone. I was shocked and yet somewhat happy to find out how common this is. I mostly have it when I lay on my back, and it's really annoying when you can actually feel it coming on, but I've also had it when I've been on my side as well, although not as frequent. I also noticed I tend to have it when I'm stressed and about to fall asleep. :sleepy: It seems to happen off and on but there are times it will happen 3-4 times in one night. <_<

As for your son - my daughter had an imaginary friend as well, I just tried to pay as little attention to it and and not make a big deal; because honestly at times some of the things she'd say in relation to this friend (name was Hangela - pronounced Angela but with an H in front) was a little unnerving, especially the day she told me that Hangela hated me, and that she would make spikes come out of my neck (wtf??). I had a long talk with my daughter and this issue did disappear over time. My daughter is now 15 and doesn't remember Hangela. I just have to chalk it up to her imagination. And no, I nor my daughter are crazy, but I do have a history of pyschics, mediums and occult in my family, not from me but my grandparents/past relatives, but that is another thread entirely.

Best of luck to you - please don't worry. You're definitely not alone with these issues.

I have been plagued by what the medical community calls hypnagogic (happens while falling asleep) and hypnopompic (happens while waking up) hallucinations, which occur with sleep paralysis. I am sure there is some medical and possibly psychological explanation for part of these types of experiences, but I am convinced that such conventional explanations do not address or even acknowledge the whole issue.

Lucifer has one third of the entire human family that pertains to this earth at his disposal, and such legions of malevolent spirits have been allied with him since before Adam and Eve were on the earth. They want nothing more than to get physical bodies, by any means, and at any cost, because they will never have physical bodies of their own. They will never be born. They lost that right in the great pre-mortal war. You won that war. You retained your agency, that is to say your freedom of choice. Your victory and your right to be born were preserved through your allegiance to Jesus Christ. That makes you more powerful than any of them.

*snip*

Hope all goes well for you. For what it's worth, I have discovered by my own experience that praying to God in the name of Jesus Christ has always freed me from the clutches of whatever these influences were trying to do to me.

Edited by Saru
Edited for link dropping