Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girls, 13, given contraceptive implants at

Still Waters

The procedure was carried out in Southampton, Hants, as part of a government initiative to drive down teenage pregnancies.

As many as nine secondary schools in the city are thought to have been involved.

But it has caused a backlash from parents who weren't aware that their daughters had been fitted with the 4cm device, which sits under the skin.

It is currently unknown exactly how many youngsters have taken part in the scheme.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• keithisco

• aquatus1

• OverSword

I know I would be rather upset if my daughter had this done to her when she was 13, without my consent. I can see the reasoning behind it but the parent should be involved in such a thing when the child is so young.

I know I would be rather upset if my daughter had this done to her when she was 13, without my consent. I can see the reasoning behind it but the parent should be involved in such a thing when the child is so young.

Not to be a critic (yeah a little :P:innocent: ) but most parents who have kids involved in relationships are barely aware of how the thingy works.

I see nothing wrong with this... only a sexually active child at this age would want the procedure carried out - and if sexually active at this age then it is probably a good thing. Too many kids lives are ruined by unintended pregnancies, too many future goals and ambitions cut short by having to care for a baby.

There will always be those kids brought up by Welfare Scrounging mothers - whose whole raison d'etre is to extend a life on welfare benefits... but those with the implant will not be forced down the same route.

Opportunity will not be closed to them as a result of those short years when hormones control over reason.

I am surprised that anyone agrees with it ! It is just outrageous, I have trouble believing the story is accurate.

I would most definitely object to this. No one puts medication into my kids without my express permission.

Aquatus, I'm sure that qs a parents you know the whereabouts of your children, you assume your responsabities as father. When I moved to France from the US,a single mother lived accross the street of my home. She had a 12 years old daughter who use to spend the night with her boyfriend, the mother was too stone to even noticed.

I would most definitely object to this. No one puts medication into my kids without my express permission.

Why, why , and why... would you object to sexually active children taking this precaution ? You cannot be there every second of every day -- impregnation takes but a minute or two, but the consequences are life-long.

I have a 14yr old daughter, I cannot believe that she would ever engage in this kind of activity, but I cannot guarantee that. I would like to think that she is responsible enough to realise that her entire life is much more important than a "2 minute quickie" for immediate gratification due to her hormonal imperitives.

Aquatus... do you even understand the level of embarassment that asking a parents' permission would entail? I think you need a lesson in modern human dynamics!

Would anyone object if the schools in question handed out free condoms to all the 13 year olds?

I realise the implantation of the device in the article requires some (very minor) surgery, and for that reason alone the parents should be notified - although the article suggests they were all sent a newsletter informing them of the procedure, therefore they should have had their chance to voice their objection then.

However, I cannot otherwise see where the distribution of a contraceptive device like this is any different to handing out condoms.

Would anyone object if the schools in question handed out free condoms to all the 13 year olds?

I realise the implantation of the device in the article requires some (very minor) surgery, and for that reason alone the parents should be notified - although the article suggests they were all sent a newsletter informing them of the procedure, therefore they should have had their chance to voice their objection then.

However, I cannot otherwise see where the distribution of a contraceptive device like this is any different to handing out condoms.

You must be joking, this is invasive procedure putting chemicals into a young girl's system, I could not imagine too many parents would be signing a consent form for this ( has to be illegal without it, surely, or the law is dead wrong), which would be the minimum requirement I would think.

Aquatus, I'm sure that qs a parents you know the whereabouts of your children, you assume your responsabities as father. When I moved to France from the US,a single mother lived accross the street of my home. She had a 12 years old daughter who use to spend the night with her boyfriend, the mother was too stone to even noticed.

And that is an very unfortunate event which, even more unfortunately, is nowhere near as rare as I would like it to be.

However, that does not, in any way, translate to assumed authority to hand out any sort of medical drugs to children unless there is an imminent danger to their health. That is not how loco parentis works. It is an abuse of it, regardless of whether it was done with good intentions.

Why, why , and why... would you object to sexually active children taking this precaution ?

Well, I can think of a few good reasons to be hesitant, but they are actually irrelevant, as I am not objecting to sexually active children taking this precaution. I am objecting to a school assuming the authority to medicate my children in any way not pertaining to an immediate crisis, not just without consulting me, but actively hiding it from me.

You cannot be there every second of every day -- impregnation takes but a minute or two, but the consequences are life-long.

Yes, many accidents are like that. That is why one tries to prepare ahead of time. Nothing wrong with that.

There is, however, something very wrong with other people assuming the authority not just to involve themselves to this degree in a child's life, but to do so while actively evading the parent's. If one is in a situation where one feels the need for this to occur, there are problems beyond that need to be addressed on a much higher level.

I have a 14yr old daughter, I cannot believe that she would ever engage in this kind of activity, but I cannot guarantee that. I would like to think that she is responsible enough to realise that her entire life is much more important than a "2 minute quickie" for immediate gratification due to her hormonal imperitives.

That's nice and all, but the question here isn't what you think about your daughter. The question here is whether you are comfortable with the school and your daughter discussing taking medication, and leaving you out of the loop entirely, on purpose.

Aquatus... do you even understand the level of embarassment that asking a parents' permission would entail? I think you need a lesson in modern human dynamics!

I am not going to bother defending my knowledge on human dynamics. The regulars here know my background well enough. I will, however, say that any embarrassment the school might feel is a reflection of their own discomfort, not the parents. And, to be perfectly frank, anytime that we are talking about medication and children, there is no level of discomfort that excuses the simple respect and obligation to include the parents in such a life-changing decision for the child.

You must be joking, this is invasive procedure putting chemicals into a young girl's system, I could not imagine too many parents would be signing a consent form for this ( has to be illegal without it, surely, or the law is dead wrong), which would be the minimum requirement I would think.

Not really. UK law does protect the confidentiality of minors under 16 in regards to medical information. As far as consenting to contraceptive treatment, a doctor or health professional can provide treatment without parental consent under what is known as the Frasier (Frazer?) Criteria, which is a way to evaluate the justifiability of providing treatement.

The problem here isn't really legal, heck, it isn't even really medical (although, again, I personally would have a few questions) as much as it is a matter of respect.

**EDIT** Okay, looked it up:

A doctor or health professional can prescribe contraceptive medication without parental consent if the following guidelines are met.

Fraser Criteria

• The young person could understand the advice and have sufficient maturity to understand what was involved in terms of the moral, social and emotional implications.
  • They could neither persuade the young person to inform the parents, nor to allow the health professional to inform them, that contraceptive advice was being sought.
  • The young person would be very likely to begin or to continue having sexual intercourse with or without contraceptive treatment.
  • Without contraceptive advice or treatment, the young person's physical or mental health or both would be likely to suffer.
  • The young person's best interests required the health professional to give contraceptive advice or treatment or both without parental consent.

I am a little iffy about the second one, as it seems like the one that could be the most abused.

Edited by aquatus1

These implants can make people quite sick. I think the parents should have been made aware for that reason alone.

I'm not sure that a 13 year old could weigh up the pros and cons of something like this effectively and could jump on board without considering the consequences or alternatives.

The Netherlands has a low teenage pregnancy rate compared with the UK, yet their children are educated about sex earlier. This tells us that knowing about sex doesn't necessarily lead to having sex.

If a 13-year-old is having sex, or about to have sex, she should be given access to contraception. She may feel unable to discuss this with her parents.

In an ideal world, she would have been 'educated away' from this point.

Never mind. I was going to say something but it would be useless at this point.

Edited by Ryu

Great place the UK. You can be imprisoned for buying a 17yr-old a beer or a pack of cigarettes but tis cool for local authorities to give 13yr-olds drugs and/or surgery without the knowledge of their legal and moral gaurdians..... to enable "safer" under-age sex, which is of course... illegal!!!!!!!!

Maybe if discipline was reintroduced in the homes and schools of our sad country we wouldn't have so many spoiled brats who want everything, for nothing and want it now.

Edited by Eldorado

From the article ...

Girls as young as 13 have been fitted with contraceptive implants at school without their parents knowing.

As a parent, I would not like this.. I would not want to find out my child was fitted with any implant without my knowledge or permission.. It is my right as a parent to at least be asked si this is ok?

My childs private life is my business until she reaches 18 then it is her business

I am responsible for my child until she reaches 18 and is an adult

I would expect to be told of this and asked if I wish to allow it...

Before my child reaches 13, I personally will have educated her about sex and the do's and don't s , it is my job to see her right.. I know that I cannot be with her 24/7...and kids do not always obey their parents.. But If I was at least asked for my permission.. I would be able to think about it and take it from there ...She is my full responsibility after all

Kids back in my day were the same.. I differed from so many.. At 13 the only importance for me was my bike and roller boots.. I was more innocent and green to all knowledge linked to sex..I know there were kids like me and still are.. I couldn't have been the only kid that never thought of boys or sex.... I didn't feel I was ready for a BF back then let alone have sex.. I saved that until a few years later... Kids differ.. some will, wait... some wont ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Great place the UK. You can be imprisoned for buying a 17yr-old a beer or a pack of cigarettes but tis cool for local authorities to give 13yr-olds drugs and/or surgery without the knowledge of their legal and moral gaurdians..... to enable "safer" under-age sex, which is of course... illegal!!!!!!!!

Maybe if discipline was reintroduced in the homes and schools of our sad country we wouldn't have so many spoiled brats who want everything, for nothing and want it now.

Discipline, respect, and education, are sadly lacking in Britain right now, that's for sure. However, making it illegal doesn't educate children away from having sex at an early age. There will always be kids who have sex when they are physically able to. The age of consent is just a fabrication of society: 18 in California, 13 in Spain, and 12 or menarche in some countries. In the UK, it was 12, then 13, now 16.

From the article ...

As a parent, I would not like this.. I would not want to find out my child was fitted with any implant without my knowledge or permission.. It is my right as a parent to at least be asked si this is ok?

My childs private life is my business until she reaches 18 then it is her business

I am responsible for my child until she reaches 18 and is an adult

I would expect to be told of this and asked if I wish to allow it...

Before my child reaches 13, I personally will have educated her about sex and the do's and don't s , it is my job to see her right.. I know that I cannot be with her 24/7...and kids do not always obey their parents.. But If I was at least asked for my permission.. I would be able to think about it and take it from there ...She is my full responsibility after all

Kids back in my day were the same.. I differed from so many.. At 13 the only importance for me was my bike and roller boots.. I was more innocent and green to all knowledge linked to sex..I know there were kids like me and still are.. I couldn't have been the only kid that never thought of boys or sex.... I didn't feel I was ready for a BF back then let alone have sex.. I saved that until a few years later... Kids differ.. some will, wait... some wont ..

Beckys Mom, I have always shown you the upmost of respect, but on this issue I disagree...

Times They are a'changin (for the worse (IMO) and there are some things a daughter can NEVER ask of her Mom or Dad (in my case) because we would both have the same response - "Wait until you are older". Unfortunately there is an imperitive (pre-ordained by genetics) that leads to procreative activity. I really do not want to find that I am a Grandfather to the progeny of some snotty nosed idiot with no control of his underpants.

To date my daughter (14yrs old) has shown no interest in this area, but that will change, and it most definitely will change (and I dread the day), but I at least want her to have the possibility of implanted contraception if that is her choice. No embarassing moments with Mom or Dad. As long as she is instructed about the dreadful Sexual Diseases that are also part of this transition to adulthood.

That is my part to do, because living in a Roman Catholic country (Spain) this is never taught.

I worry all the time.....

Edited by keithisco

I can't speak for you, my European ancestors, but in the States...a kid has already learned birds, bees, and beyond by age 12, probably earlier. A lot of it comes from television, movies, and music. The basic message is the proverbial "if it feels good, do it" and then ignore the possible consequences.

Example: there was a recent fatal auto accident involving one of my students. An 18 year old boy, 15 year old boy, 13 year old girl and 12 year old girl were out at 1:00 in the 18's truck. He drove too fast, lost control, now he and the 13 girl are gone.

Honestly, what is there that you have to do at 1:00 a.m. that you can't do earlier in the evening?

I can't speak for you, my European ancestors, but in the States...a kid has already learned birds, bees, and beyond by age 12, probably earlier. A lot of it comes from television, movies, and music. The basic message is the proverbial "if it feels good, do it" and then ignore the possible consequences.

Example: there was a recent fatal auto accident involving one of my students. An 18 year old boy, 15 year old boy, 13 year old girl and 12 year old girl were out at 1:00 in the 18's truck. He drove too fast, lost control, now he and the 13 girl are gone.

Honestly, what is there that you have to do at 1:00 a.m. that you can't do earlier in the evening?

You make a powerful point J.K.

what were these 12, 13, and 15 year olds doing out at this time of the morning. Where was he parental imperitive in all of this?

I dont know their situation at all, so cannot comment much, but we are talking about kids, and parents.

You make a powerful point J.K.

what were these 12, 13, and 15 year olds doing out at this time of the morning. Where was he parental imperitive in all of this?

I dont know their situation at all, so cannot comment much, but we are talking about kids, and parents.

The common theme between that situation and the contraceptive situation: the parents 1) should have the right to determine medical treatment for their minor; and the parents 2) do have the responsibility of raising their minor in an environment that is conducive to being able to make thoughtful decisions. Sorry, that sentence is a bit long.

The common theme between that situation and the contraceptive situation: the parents 1) should have the right to determine medical treatment for their minor; and the parents 2) do have the responsibility of raising their minor in an environment that is conducive to being able to make thoughtful decisions. Sorry, that sentence is a bit long.

Ah.. here I disagree, medical treatment is a little different from having intradermal contraceptives implanted at the chids' request, (we are not talking about invasive surgery here). I would much prefer that to having a teenager put her life on hold to have a baby etc. a life she may never get back again. The boy has no such worries, he can go on as if nothing happened, and not be held responsible or accountable, continue with his studies etc.

Nobody here is talking about raising a boy to be responsible, to wait until older, why is that?