Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard Dawkins on coincidences

Saru

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codehook

• Habitat

• and-then

• Saru

hmmm, not a good enough explanation for me. typical scientist with the "show me" attitude. go back to your equations.

hmmm, not a good enough explanation for me. typical scientist with the "show me" attitude. go back to your equations.

There's nothing to debate here, and your statement exudes ignorance.

He was simply demonstrating the 'given an almost infinite number of opportunities, the almost infinitely improbable becomes nearly certain' idea, which is accepted scientific fact. There is no way that it cannot be, it is factual probability. In simple terms, because there are so many coincidences that could happen, the probability of one of them happening is almost certain.

As I said, there is nothing to debate or disagree with here, he is simply trying to explain what is, already, a fact.

Edited by Codehook

OK, so what's the deal, we all just agree with Dawko and everything will be just fine, Codehook ? :P

There's nothing to debate here, and your statement exudes ignorance.

He was simply demonstrating the 'given an almost infinite number of opportunities, the almost infinitely improbable becomes nearly certain' idea, which is accepted scientific fact. There is no way that it cannot be, it is factual probability. In simple terms, because there are so many coincidences that could happen, the probability of one of them happening is almost certain.

As I said, there is nothing to debate or disagree with here, he is simply trying to explain what is, already, a fact.

Dickie Dawk is just earning a living by pandering to the militants who don't accept the possibility of God and think anyone who does is a dim bulb. In his defense he seems sincere in what he believes and if he's doing any harm then he can discuss that with his Creator some day...just like the rest of us B)

Dickie Dawk is just earning a living by pandering to the militants who don't accept the possibility of God and think anyone who does is a dim bulb. In his defense he seems sincere in what he believes and if he's doing any harm then he can discuss that with his Creator some day...just like the rest of us - sorry unsure how to quote

So he is no different to the bible bashing people who look upon people that don't believe in God and think they need saving. Oh the bible people seem so sincere with what they believe and everyone will be judged and the only harm they are doing is to themselves being so closed minded

OK, so what's the deal, we all just agree with Dawko and everything will be just fine, Codehook ? :P

Well when it's a fact, yes...of course I agree with facts.

He believes there is no God, and that may or may not be true, but what he's saying in this video is a simple fact. He is using that fact as evidence to back up the idea that supernatural occurrences do not exist. Whether you believe in the supernatural is neither here nor there when it comes to accepting what he is saying in the video. You don't have to agree with his standpoint on faith to accept this video for being completely, 100% correct.

It is just as correct as saying that the chances of flipping a coin and it landing on heads is 50%. What some of you are saying is basically..."I don't agree with Richard Dawkins, so therefore he must be incorrect about the chances of flipping a coin on heads to be 50%".

Do you see how that makes no logical sense now?

Well when it's a fact, yes...of course I agree with facts.

He believes there is no God, and that may or may not be true, but what he's saying in this video is a simple fact. He is using that fact as evidence to back up the idea that supernatural occurrences do not exist. Whether you believe in the supernatural is neither here nor there when it comes to accepting what he is saying in the video. You don't have to agree with his standpoint on faith to accept this video for being completely, 100% correct.

It is just as correct as saying that the chances of flipping a coin and it landing on heads is 50%. What some of you are saying is basically..."I don't agree with Richard Dawkins, so therefore he must be incorrect about the chances of flipping a coin on heads to be 50%".

Do you see how that makes no logical sense now?

I didn't say I necessarily disagree with some of Dawkin's ideas, I just think he is trying to dress up speculation (e.g., there is no God, etc) as science, which is pretty well a disservice to everyone, except possibly Dawkins and his finances.

I didn't say I necessarily disagree with some of Dawkin's ideas, I just think he is trying to dress up speculation (e.g., there is no God, etc) as science, which is pretty well a disservice to everyone, except possibly Dawkins and his finances.

I actually agree with you here. I think that maybe he's a little too dismissive and disrespectful towards religion. I'm not religious myself, but I personally think that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

Having said that, I at least admire that he tries to educate people on some basic ideas like in this video...just maybe not the way in which he does it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dickie Dawk is just earning a living by pandering to the militants who don't accept the possibility of God and think anyone who does is a dim bulb. In his defense he seems sincere in what he believes and if he's doing any harm then he can discuss that with his Creator some day...just like the rest of us - sorry unsure how to quote

So he is no different to the bible bashing people who look upon people that don't believe in God and think they need saving. Oh the bible people seem so sincere with what they believe and everyone will be judged and the only harm they are doing is to themselves being so closed minded

I think you are exactly correct Toadie. Dawkins is preaching his message of God is a myth. Christians share the message that God is real. If Christians are harming themselves by being "closed minded" then where is the harm to others? The Christians I know are eager to share the good news(Gospel) to anyone who wants to hear it. I'll admit that some, especially new Christians, get a little overzealous and can be annoying. But most realize that our work is to plant a seed of faith. God is responsible for making it grow. If the idea that individuals will be judged by our Creator bothers you, I can't help that. I didn't get to make the rules.

Peace

edit: BTW to quote someone all you do is select the REPLY button on bottom right of screen. I'm not sure how to use the "multi quote"

Edited by and then

To use multi-quote, click on the button and that post will be selected (clicking it again will un-select it). Select as many posts as you want to quote, then go to the bottom of the page and hit the REPLY button (of the page, not of any individual post).

A text box with all the posts you selected will appear.