Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Whitney Houston, Superstar

Princess Serenity

LOS ANGELES (AP) Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

At her peak, Houston was the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale."

Article

--

Makes me want to get all her cds now. RIP.

Edited by Princess Serenity

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Beckys_Mom

• _Only

• libstaK

Just heard about this. No one is saying what happened or where she was found, but right away I suspected drugs. Shouldn't do that. We'll have to wait and see what comes out.

She gave me the impression of being "damaged goods", which is a common prelude to drug addiction anyway. Who knows what set her down that course, poverty is not a suspect.

How sad - her Star shone so bright and then just winked out. RIP Whitney, you gave so much with that beautiful voice, thank you for that.:cry:

Found this when I googled her name. She was in Beverly Hills to attend a pre-Grammy party. I haven't seen this on any of the news broadcasts yet but I could have missed it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/02/whitney-houston-dead-beverly-hills.html

No, she wasn't poor and with her family ties, I don't think she ever really was.

She did have a beautiful voice. Seems she lost it some time ago because of the abuse she put herself through. So sad.

Edited by susieice

Makes me want to get all her cds now. RIP.

This is the moment record companies dream of with their past famous artists.

And nothing of value was lost on this day.

Janice Voss died a few days ago and it wasn't front page news but she gave more to this world then Whitney Houston ever could.

Astronaut Janice Voss, a veteran of five spaceflights and a former science director for a NASA exoplanet-hunting spacecraft, has died.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0208/Janice-Voss-shuttle-astronaut-remembered-for-NASA-contributions

I can't imagine why America is falling behind in math and science. :hmm:

Edited by __Kratos__

She was found dead at the Beverley Hills Hotel, time of death has been given as 3.55 (not sure if am or pm, am watching CNN as we speak).

She was found dead at the Beverley Hills Hotel, time of death has been given as 3.55 (not sure if am or pm, am watching CNN as we speak).

Very sad. She was so talented, beautiful and yes, my first thought was drugs or stress on her body from drug use. Her poor daughter.

Here's the press conference with the Beverly Hills Police Dept. They were still investigating at this time and he says at the end that Ms.Houston had not yet been removed from the hotel.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1447480715001/police-no-obvious-sign-of-criminal-intent

The lead star of Network (actor of the "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore" monologue) also died there, of a heart attack.

The lead star of Network (actor of the "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore" monologue) also died there, of a heart attack.

That is a bit creepy - bad vibe hotel. Do you have his name and the date this happened? I know the "mad as hell" monologue so i can picture his face but that's about it.

Ok - it is Peter Finch and the date of his death is 14th January 1977 and he received a posthumous Academy Award as Best Actor for that role, how interesting.

Of further interest he is an Australian Actor and one of only 2 Actors ever to receive the Academy Award for Best Actor Posthumously - the other to do so was Heath Ledger.

I wonder what caused Peter Finch's heart attack.

Edited by libstaK

I was a fan of her music... RIP Whitney..

By far, the greatest female vocalist of my lifetime.

As your crossed arms signaled the spring, may they now in death find lasting peace.

Here are two identical songs, showing the rapid evolution of her voice and presence between 1985 and 1987.

Edited by Raptor Witness

By far, the greatest female vocalist of my lifetime.

It's a pity the drugs she took ruined her great singing voice.. She was once an amazing singer... I was watching a news video and it too said the same thing... Shame she is gone

I had no idea about this, wasn't really a fan but it's a shame, she was really talented.

I had no idea about this, wasn't really a fan but it's a shame, she was really talented.

Same here but I do love this song of hers -

She was a very powerful singer. RIP Whitney

Same here but I do love this song of hers -

She had Dolly Patron to thank for that one...

Leave it to FOX news to trace her last days. Apparently prescription bottles were found in her room. They also got many of the details like where and how she was found. So sad. I hope it wasn't another accidental drug overdose like Ledger or Jackson. Celebrities get what they ask for from the people who surround them but a drug combination is a drug combination and can be lethal.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/02/12/whitney-houston-dead-prescription-drugs-drowned-autopsy/

Janice Voss died a few days ago and it wasn't front page news but she gave more to this world then Whitney Houston ever could.

Astronaut Janice Voss, a veteran of five spaceflights and a former science director for a NASA exoplanet-hunting spacecraft, has died.

http://www.csmonitor...A-contributions

I agree with you in that people seem to fall all over themselves concerning celebrities but when it comes to people who made more meaningful contributions to society other than entertainment then no one bats an eye.

I will say however that I have heard a few of her songs and she also acted in the movie "The Preacher's Wife" and not only was she good in acting but her singing was pretty nice too. But she apparently had troubles and was consumed by them.

Above all she is human like everyone else.

Of course it will be news if someone who was famous in the public eye dies.

But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the media goes overboard. Reminded of how for a month straight after MJ's death, the TV Guide channels programming was 24/7 nonstop Michael Jackson coverage. Not even embellishing at all. Thought it would end after a few days, then a week, then the next week, then started to think they would change the name to the MJ Guide channel.

Edited by Jerry Only

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0208/Janice-Voss-shuttle-astronaut-remembered-for-NASA-contributions

Lots of people that gave more to the world die and nothing is said about them. Who cares what celebrity dies? Or what they wear.. lol

Lots of people that gave more to the world die and nothing is said about them. Who cares what celebrity dies? Or what they wear.. lol

Businesses.

Not to mention the fact that, like it or not, we are a celebrity adoring culture, whether it be music, film, sports and even leaders of businesses. We put their lives under a microscope and watch every moment as they inspire others or plunge into a life of self-destruction. Many identify with their hardships and live life precariously through them, especially athletes. As much as Whitney's music wasn't exactly my type, I do admire the voice that she had. Her rendition of the US National Anthem at Super Bowl XXV will always be the standard of how that song should be sung at any sporting event. Apparently even in the last week of her life, she was not able to drive away the demons that plagued her.