Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sumatran Orang Pendek Hairs Match Rock Hyrax

NatureBoff

Time to add another entry to the dogman encounter database.....

No need. The research team on the Orang Pendek is behind me on this one. Wait until you see it on the tv news...

No need. The research team on the Orang Pendek is behind me on this one. Wait until you see it on the tv news...

I wasted my time reading that :(

Where does it say anything about a Hyrax? Or better yet matching one?.....They did not even do a DNA test as far as I can tell, just a look see in a microscope. ( being behind you on this one )

And where does anything say it is Orang Pendek hairs?

I wasted my time reading that :(

Where does it say anything about a Hyrax? Or better yet matching one?.....They did not even do a DNA test as far as I can tell, just a look see in a microscope. ( being behind you on this one )

And where does anything say it is Orang Pendek hairs?

DNA, Schmnee en ay - you obviously forget that this is Craptozoology - where no proof of anything is ever needed! Just half-assed internet research and unfounded conclusions. :wacko:

If anyone agrees with the clear pictorial evidence then they'll become one of the few people in the entire world to appreciate it's (mega) significance. If you just pull faces you'll forever be one of the many who just didn't see the evidence for what it is. Shame on you..

If anyone agrees with the clear pictorial evidence then they'll become one of the few people in the entire world to appreciate it's (mega) significance. If you just pull faces you'll forever be one of the many who just didn't see the evidence for what it is. Shame on you..

In regards to the fake mammoth video you have once again proven yourself a poor judge of any video or photographic evidence. Why would your imaginative interpretation of this be any different? You never seem to admit how far of the mark you are. You just ignore the egg on your face and move on to the next ridiculous thing like it never happened. Whats it like to have such an incredible ability to ignore your own track record of failure?

I took these little extracts from the link.

They mention the colour of the two unknown hairs then go on to say that neither of the hairs was compared to a standard colour chart...why not???

Although they say they found some differences, between the two unknown hairs and comparison hairs from other primates, they also say (quote)

''The scale pattern of the unknown hairs did not significantly differ from hairs of most other primate species examined and was therefore not studied in great detail.''

If the two guys (not the chappie doing the examination) are the ones I think they are, they have been on Discovery channel. They spend every holiday looking for these sort of things and to be honest, are really not very convincing. It will need more than this to convince me :)

edit,,,,added a little bit to text :)

Edited by Englishgent

Tailormane, can I present a very serious question? It is something that has been bothering me for quite some time.

Why, oh why, does every sighting of every cryptid seem to be some form of hyrax in your opinion? The way you talk, it seems like hyraxes are the most widespread species of creature on this planet. Once someone posted about an old report of a bloody sea monster and you suggested that it was a hyrax! Please, I am honestly wondering this because as far as I can tell you are either truly earnest in your mission to prove the existence of these giant hyraxes or you are one of the most devoted internet trolls the world has ever seen.

How is a hyrax supposed to represent the "orang pendek" anyway? Isn't that thing believed to be some kind of ape-species? Hyraxes, per my understanding, walk on four legs and are rodents.

Tailormane, can I present a very serious question? It is something that has been bothering me for quite some time.

Why, oh why, does every sighting of every cryptid seem to be some form of hyrax in your opinion? The way you talk, it seems like hyraxes are the most widespread species of creature on this planet. Once someone posted about an old report of a bloody sea monster and you suggested that it was a hyrax! Please, I am honestly wondering this because as far as I can tell you are either truly earnest in your mission to prove the existence of these giant hyraxes or you are one of the most devoted internet trolls the world has ever seen.

How is a hyrax supposed to represent the "orang pendek" anyway? Isn't that thing believed to be some kind of ape-species? Hyraxes, per my understanding, walk on four legs and are rodents.

This has been asked numerous times with no response.....

I sincerely asked smugfish ( one of his former names ) if he was serious, or just joking around to get a rise out of people....It was to the point no one could be serious ( the thread was closed by the site owner I believe, tsunami thing ) about this stuff......

No answer at all, just another reply with more " evidence ".....

Also, sometimes it is not a hyrax, it is a glowbird.

You know what's sad? Draconic Chronicler had more evidence for his theories and a better debating style.

Also, sometimes it is not a hyrax, it is a glowbird.

..What on earth is a glowbird?

Oh god dont. As far as I have been able to get out of him its whatever he decides it is.

Apparently its an aerial bird hyrax variant that glows (I think from drinking its urine) while remaining invisible when roosting in houses; while in its glowing mode it is an obvious explanation for the Hessdalen lights amongst other UFO sightings. In its rapid evolution on these pages it then developed hypnotic ray vision that can kill birds in flight - which has naturally been captured on obscure video footage.

Honestly, I actually think it would be easier/shorter just to list the unknown animals that aren't related to hyraxes.*

* according to tailormaneinafog

Edited by Lilly
clarification

Just out of curiosity what are your credentials tailor... I mean thus far you have made claims that lead me to believe you are some sort of Astrophysicist that minored in forensic biology and dabbles in anthropology. Perhaps you are just more intuitive than I am but when i read the reports and look at the "pictoral evidence" that you post the reports leave me with more questions than answers and with the pics i can't tell a Hyrax's ventral hair cross-section from a human hair cross-section. Help me understand your qualifications to make these claims please.

I'm sure many of us will miss that one.

You apparently have seen this largely legendary bi-pedal mammal, since you state that you're ahead of the curve on this thing...(I am pleased for you!).

It's rather funy how they determined that the hairs were from an animal that's never actually been confirmed to exist and never classified or photographed, or even seen by a scientist.

Wondering if there's a point to the prattlings about small mammalians.

Do you think it'll make the TV news?

Wait forget that!

Given the things that make the TV news, I have no doubt this'll make it some time.

Honestly, I actually think it would be easier/shorter just to list the unknown animals that aren't related to hyraxes.*

* according to tailormaneinafog

He's gonna say we're related to them next, isn't he? Or has he already?

Here's the professional report Organic Evidence Confirms Existence Of Orang Pendek and here's the Ventral hairs of the rock hyrax. It's a better match than all the others!! :)

Superficial resemblance only. You're ignoring the other hundred details of hair morphology that say the "Orang Pendek" hair is ape hair.

This, I would like to see.

You know what's sad? Draconic Chronicler had more evidence for his theories and a better debating style.

Agree! :tu:

Reasons a Hyrax can't be a werewolf, dogman, bigfoot or Orang Pendek. (Anyone else please feel free to add on.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrax

Hyraxes retain a number of early mammalian characteristics; in particular, they have poorly developed internal temperature regulation (which they deal with by huddling together for warmth, and by basking in the sun like reptiles).

Many, no... Most, of the cryptids that Tail says are hyrax, are not just active at night, but nocturnal. They are not a good fit on a hyrax, as they need warm weather and sunlight to add to their metabolism.

All modern hyraxes are members of the family Procaviidae (the only living family within the Hyracoidea) and are found only in Africa and the Middle East. In the past, however, hyraxes were more diverse and widespread. The order first appears in the fossil record at a site in the Middle East in the form of Dimaitherium, 37 million years ago.[12] For many millions of years, hyraxes were the primary terrestrial herbivore in Africa, just as odd-toed ungulates were in the Americas. Through the middle to late Eocene, there were many different species,[13] the largest of them about the weight of a small horse, the smallest the size of a mouse. During the Miocene, however, competition from the newly developed bovids—very efficient grazers and browsers—pushed the hyraxes out of the prime territory and into marginal niches. Nevertheless, the order remained widespread, diverse and successful as late as the end of the Pliocene (about two million years ago) with representatives throughout most of Africa, Europe and Asia.

And not one single skeletal remain has show bipedalism. All hyraxes were 4 legged grazers. They got wiped out because they could not adapt fast enough.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/oct/07/evidence-elusive-orang-pendek

The hairs will be sent off for DNA testing to Professor Bryan Sykes, Professor Todd Disotell, Dr Tom Gilbert and Lars Thomas, but we won't get the results for a few months. Copies of the cast will be sent to leading primatologists.

I wonder if they heard anything back yet. My guess is no. Either that, or they got negative results and thus don't want to publish the results online.

I'm sorry, but how many threads about Hyrax's is the OP going to make before he admits he's trolling?

Just out of curiosity what are your credentials tailor... I mean thus far you have made claims that lead me to believe you are some sort of Astrophysicist that minored in forensic biology and dabbles in anthropology. Perhaps you are just more intuitive than I am but when i read the reports and look at the "pictoral evidence" that you post the reports leave me with more questions than answers and with the pics i can't tell a Hyrax's ventral hair cross-section from a human hair cross-section. Help me understand your qualifications to make these claims please.

I'm not the most qualified person in the whole world, no, but I do have a science degree in Computing With Astronomy. I did hold a scientific research post for 8 years before leaving for 'world travel'. I've always been obsessed with a theory of everything and cryptozoology. I would have never believed in 'were-creatures' myself had I not looked at all the evidence and carefully remembered my own seemingly inexplicable experiences.