Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sumatran Orang Pendek Hairs Match Rock Hyrax

NatureBoff

I'm not the most qualified person in the whole world, no, but I do have a science degree in Computing With Astronomy. I did hold a scientific research post for 8 years before leaving for 'world travel'. I've always been obsessed with a theory of everything and cryptozoology. I would have never believed in 'were-creatures' myself had I not looked at all the evidence and carefully remembered my own seemingly inexplicable experiences.

One more question... it seems that your theories are all based on one creature mimicking the behavior of another for various reasons. Why then do you insist on using the "were" word. It's a bit on a misnomer

I encountered many tales of the Orang Pendek during my stay in Borneo in the 60's. The local populace used to leave offerings of tobacco out to keep the creature content. My guess is that the many reported sightings may be either the Orang Utan or an immature Sun Bear (another shy - but quite real - local animal). The Sun Bear explanation is supported by the fact that 'Pendeks' have often been seen on the outskirts of fields planted with ginger root. Many species of bear would disembowel their own grandmothers for ginger root! On the other hand, most locals I've met, (some of them very well-educated) believe implicitly in Orang Pendek, and with the Indonesia/Sumatra/Borneo complex consisting of over 17,500 islands, there's plenty of places for a few 'short persons' to remain undiscovered!

One more question... it seems that your theories are all based on one creature mimicking the behavior of another for various reasons. Why then do you insist on using the "were" word. It's a bit on a misnomer

It's the old english form of 'were-wolf' or 'were-boar'. It's a good name imo and describes an animal species which mimics another openly aggressive animal species in the local habitat. The were-animal itself is therefore a master of passive aggression. The males only need to mimick a male of an openly aggressive species to be able to ward of transgressors from their territory and still remain elusive and 'unknown'. The females would use sexual selection based on how effective they thought the male disguise was. This way a speedy evolutionary avenue is open for something which to us seems extra-ordinary.

The last 50,000 years would have led to a were-creature/human co-evolution which has ended with today's working equilibrium, Super-predatory humans

Edited by tailormaneinafog

I encountered many tales of the Orang Pendek during my stay in Borneo in the 60's. The local populace used to leave offerings of tobacco out to keep the creature content. My guess is that the many reported sightings may be either the Orang Utan or an immature Sun Bear (another shy - but quite real - local animal). The Sun Bear explanation is supported by the fact that 'Pendeks' have often been seen on the outskirts of fields planted with ginger root. Many species of bear would disembowel their own grandmothers for ginger root! On the other hand, most locals I've met, (some of them very well-educated) believe implicitly in Orang Pendek, and with the Indonesia/Sumatra/Borneo complex consisting of over 17,500 islands, there's plenty of places for a few 'short persons' to remain undiscovered!

Hi ealdwita. Thanks for the extra info, very interesting. The 'sun bear' proposal would have been considered by all the experts and locals alike. People aren't stupid. They would have been filmed and seen with more clarity if it was just sun bears, surely?

I'm not the most qualified person in the whole world, no, but I do have a science degree in Computing With Astronomy. I did hold a scientific research post for 8 years before leaving for 'world travel'. I've always been obsessed with a theory of everything and cryptozoology. I would have never believed in 'were-creatures' myself had I not looked at all the evidence and carefully remembered my own seemingly inexplicable experiences.

So Tailor, you obviously are not stupid with that sort of degree and past employment, yet you can see things like helicopter shadows and say they are some sort of physical being? (as per a previous post)

I find this a little hard to believe. Maybe your obsession with these alleged creatures has got the better of you and you are no longer thinking scientifically. :mellow:

Hi ealdwita. Thanks for the extra info, very interesting. The 'sun bear' proposal would have been considered by all the experts and locals alike. People aren't stupid. They would have been filmed and seen with more clarity if it was just sun bears, surely?

Hi Tailorman. The sun bear has been considered of course, but taking into account that cannabis is a local cash crop and is smoked or chewed by most jungle people above the age of seven, there's no telling what's been seen!

Another interesting cryptid story I have encountered is the Ngoloko, or Nandi Bear. This time in Kenya, but that's another story.

So Tailor, you obviously are not stupid with that sort of degree and past employment, yet you can see things like helicopter shadows and say they are some sort of physical being? (as per a previous post)

I find this a little hard to believe. Maybe your obsession with these alleged creatures has got the better of you and you are no longer thinking scientifically. :mellow:

Intelligence in one area doesnt automatically grant it in other non related areas, nor does it magically grant common sense.

Intelligence in one area doesnt automatically grant it in other non related areas, nor does it magically grant common sense.

I would tend to agree with you Vitruvian, but if one has held a position for 8 years doing scientific research, one would expect the methodology of that type of research to rub off in other areas, which does not appear to be the case :)

Another interesting cryptid story I have encountered is the Ngoloko, or Nandi Bear. This time in Kenya, but that's another story.

The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax. Hyrax used to be all over Europe, Asia and Africa, with large bear/cow sized ones roaming the savannas. That was before ungulates started taking over however... millions of years ago.

The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax...

Well, you know what they say, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. :)

It's the old english form of 'were-wolf' or 'were-boar'. It's a good name imo and describes an animal species which mimics another openly aggressive animal species in the local habitat. The were-animal itself is therefore a master of passive aggression. The males only need to mimick a male of an openly aggressive species to be able to ward of transgressors from their territory and still remain elusive and 'unknown'. The females would use sexual selection based on how effective they thought the male disguise was. This way a speedy evolutionary avenue is open for something which to us seems extra-ordinary.

The last 50,000 years would have led to a were-creature/human co-evolution which has ended with today's working equilibrium, Super-predatory humans

But you do realize that "Were" is an Anglo Saxon word for "man", right? It has nothing to do with any open displays of aggressiveness.

It's the old english form of 'were-wolf' or 'were-boar'. It's a good name imo and describes an animal species which mimics another openly aggressive animal species in the local habitat.

In which case the caterpillar that mimics a snake is a were-caterpillar.

What about the walking stick insect? Were-stick???

In which case the caterpillar that mimics a snake is a were-caterpillar.

So does that mean when my pepsi can explodes on me, it's a were-volcano? :P

So does that mean when my pepsi can explodes on me, it's a were-volcano? :P

And Pepsi is were-coke, or is coke were-pepsi. Is a priest when they're putting the fear of God into someone a were-God?

And Pepsi is were-coke, or is coke were-pepsi. Is a priest when they're putting the fear of God into someone a were-God?

Blood for the Blood were-God!

Hi Tailorman. The sun bear has been considered of course, but taking into account that cannabis is a local cash crop and is smoked or chewed by most jungle people above the age of seven, there's no telling what's been seen!

Yes, the nandi bear is a favourite of Dr karl Shuker. It's yet another case of the same species as the orang pendek imo. It would make it a were-bear! I don't think you can attribute all of the world sightings of such critters to wacky-backy. The hair evidence and forthcoming DNA evidence will dispell that kind of myth once and for all hopefully. Only a couple of months to wait and the whole world will be spellbound by the discovery of a new intelligent species.

The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax. Hyrax used to be all over Europe, Asia and Africa, with large bear/cow sized ones roaming the savannas. That was before ungulates started taking over however... millions of years ago.

Yep..

Well, you know what they say, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. :)

I can confirm this; I can be a procrastinator when it comes to winding and changing batteries.

Sorry, I forgot to say "Hi!" :)

I'm not the most qualified person in the whole world, no, but I do have a science degree in Computing With Astronomy.

I am not familiar with that degree. Where did it come from?

I am not familiar with that degree. Where did it come from?

Th University Of Hertfordshire which includes the Bayfordbury Observatory. It's where Sir Patrick Moore studied Astronomy.