Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need some computer help please

ohio traveler

Hopefully some computer whiz can help me with this problem:

I have a folder on my desktop that contains about 300 or so .pdf documents. All I need to do is print a list of the .pdf names. But every time I try to print the list of names, it opens up the document when it prints it. I tried copying the names into other programs ( Word, Notepad, Wordpad, etc ) but every program automatically opens each .pdf when it goes to print it. All I need is to print a list of all of the .pdfs by name. Not the entire document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• ohio traveler

• MissMelsWell

• BiffSplitkins

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully some computer whiz can help me with this problem:

I have a folder on my desktop that contains about 300 or so .pdf documents. All I need to do is print a list of the .pdf names. But every time I try to print the list of names, it opens up the document when it prints it. I tried copying the names into other programs ( Word, Notepad, Wordpad, etc ) but every program automatically opens each .pdf when it goes to print it. All I need is to print a list of all of the .pdfs by name. Not the entire document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This explains it better than I can type it.......Let me know.

Windows command line and MS-DOS users

Linux users

Windows command line and MS-DOS users

1. Get to the MS-DOS prompt or the Windows command line.
  2. Navigate to the directory you wish to print the contents of. If you're new to the command line, familiarize yourself with the cd command and the dir command.
  3. Once in the directory you wish to print the contents of, type one of the below commands.
    dir > print.txt
    The above command will take the list of all the files and all of the information about the files, including size, modified date, etc., and send that output to the print.txt file in the current directory.
    dir /b > print.txt
    This command would print only the file names and not the file information of the files in the current directory.
    dir /s /b > print.txt
    This command would print only the file names of the files in the current directory and any other files in the directories in the current directory.
  4. After doing any of the above steps the print.txt file is created. Open this file in any text editor (e.g. Notepad) and print the file. You can also do this from the command prompt by typing notepad print.txt.

Linux users

1. Navigate to the directory you wish to print the contents of. If you're new to Linux, you will need to familiarize yourself with the Linux <a href="http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ucd.htm">cd command and the ls command.
  2. Once in the directory you wish to print the contents of, type one of the below commands.
    ls > print.txt
    Print each of the files and directories in the current directory to the print.txt file.

This method worked great.

Thank you very very much Sakari.

Anytime :)

Sakari got to it before me. Nice work man! I know that problem well... when I worked at Microsoft, I had to print directories of files name for Manifests of software builds all the time... the MS-DOS Print.txt was the only way I ever knew how to do it.

Sakari got to it before me. Nice work man! I know that problem well... when I worked at Microsoft, I had to print directories of files name for Manifests of software builds all the time... the MS-DOS Print.txt was the only way I ever knew how to do it.

Now you know how I feel every time I see that you've posted in the Computers section when someone asks for help before I get there. :lol:

Edited by BiffSplitkins