Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare ‘white’ black bear captured on camera

Still Waters

With its bright white coat and enormous features, you'd be forgiven for thinking that this is a polar bear which has somehow found itself in a forest.

But actually, these incredible pictures show an extremely rare 'white' black bear.

Neither a polar bear nor an albino, this beautifully unique creature is known as the spirit bear, a white variant of the North American black bear.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Spock_the_Future

• Lucky7

• chainsawcam

Isn't the natural world awesome. You think you have seen it all and then.... wonderful..

So beautiful. I love seeing these natural wonders. :tu:

Bears rock! :w00t: *but only from a distance* :unsure2:

Then you haven't met mine :D

post-73704-0-89708600-1329338889_thumb.j

I saw a few when I lived in noth west BC and worked as a fishermaqn along the coast. Most of the time I saw them at the dump. They eat garbage like any other black bear. Neat to see though.

That would look good hanging above my fireplace.........JUST KIDDING DON'T KILL ME!

Cool! That's really amazing. What a pleasure it must have been to see that.

I decided to do some research on the white bear in Native American mythology because it made me think of other white animals in their belief system. I discovered that the "white" black bear is also called the Spirit Bear and according to one story, the spirit bear was made white by the Creator of the Universe to remind its people of the past period of time known as the Ice Age. The Creator did this to remind the native people of the previous hardship of living in tons of snow and ice.

According to other stories from other tribes, the white Spirit Bear stands for harmony and peace.

Perhaps we’re in for a time of some peace and harmony.

Perhaps we’re in for an upcoming Ice Age.

Or, perhaps, the Creator is excited for season 2 of Game of Thrones!

:w00t:

Edited by BeastieRunner

That would look good hanging above my fireplace.........JUST KIDDING DON'T KILL ME!

I like your Icon (Hate windows but have to code for it's VS 2010 feature). And no killing you, just please don't dream about doing the same.

Edit: No relation for the OP but love Oracle (and Unix and its open source cousins) though.

Edited by Spock_the_Future

Gorgeous Bear !!! nature is amazing and it is wonderful to see animals living in nature and not messed with by humans.

How rare is this variant of black bear? wow, just 200. That's sweet, that this guy was able to get pics.

The pictures are of amazing clarity.

Edited by Neognosis

ow rare is this variant of black bear? wow, just 200. That's sweet, that this guy was able to get pics.

its actually closer to 500-700 (about 1/10th of the black bear pop in this region have these genes) from what i have read. but eitherway, neat pic :)

That name "spirit bear" is epic and somehow, prophetic. XD