Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did God have a wife ?

Saru

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• shaka5

• Cassea

• NemoMysterio

Just imagine the sex

Who says God is a man?

You're absolutely right...Maybe God is a female just like the wife...Girl on girl, nice!. I like your style

You're absolutely right...Maybe God is a female just like the wife...Girl on girl, nice!. I like your style

Genius! :lol:

God is male because if female the correct word would be Goddess.

The Gnostic gospels found at Nag Hammadi often talk of Female deities and depending on the sect it could be a wife a mother an androgyne entity female and male. A writer of the Sethian Gnostic group who had a different version of the Old Testament wrote:

Iaalddaboath (another name for Yaweh)becoming arrogant in spirit boasted himself over those who were below him and explained: I am father and god and above me there is none one. His mother hearing him speak thus cried against him: Do not lie Ialdabaoth for the father of all, the primal Anthropos is above you and so is Anbropos the son of Anthropos ote]

Iaalddaboath (another name for Yaweh)becoming arrogant in spirit boasted himself over those who were below him and explained: I am father and god and above me there is none one. His mother hearing him speak thus cried against him: Do not lie Ialdabaoth for the father of all, the primal Anthropos is above you and so is Anbropos the son of Anthropos

Inn the Secret Book (part of the Nag Hammadi Library) JC is supposed to say:

(She is)the image of the invisible, virginal, perfect spirit. She became the mother of everything for she existed before them all the mother-father (matropater)

A more serious note, It says wife...so did they get married?

Edited by shaka5

If I was a God I'd call myself what ever I felt like and you'd be in no position to argue, really. If He/She/It exists...it's what ever it wants to be. Like Gozer.

God has a Son but no Wife?

He had an extra-marrital relationship with Mary.

Why does the female mate always mean wife?

Who in gods' name would have married them?

I go along with there being female deities in the Nag Hammadi Library. Yay, Paracelse. The original Trinity was Father, Mother, Child.

Like the old joke says...

If god was a woman, men would have the children.

Nibs

There's a book called: "Did God Have a Wife? Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel" by William G. Dever, who is a Grand Rapids.

The author of the book unearthed inscriptions in a cave in Khirbet al-Qom which also mentions Yahweh and his Asherah. Who was Asherah? In the Canaanite pantheon, she was the wife of El.

Have a read, it's interesting :)

I think this is a confusion of mixing other pagan gods in with God.

Exactly so Cassea. The Bible plainly speaks of the judgments brought against Isarel and Judah for their idol worship. This just proves the Bible's veracity. God told them through the prophets, time and again to stop with the idol worship. Ashurah poles were a favorite target...

When they continued with the gods they found in the land - God used the Assyrians and then the Babylonians and later the Romans to punish this most hated sin.

I think this is a confusion of mixing other pagan gods in with God.

Mind you all mention of the Goddess in the bible have been wipped by zealous monks of the 3rd and 4th century CE. All texts that didn't fit with catholic (which means "universal") views were eliminated. This is why any study is flawed from the start.

Exactly so Cassea. The Bible plainly speaks of the judgments brought against Isarel and Judah for their idol worship. This just proves the Bible's veracity. God told them through the prophets, time and again to stop with the idol worship. Ashurah poles were a favorite target...

When they continued with the gods they found in the land - God used the Assyrians and then the Babylonians and later the Romans to punish this most hated sin.

see the above

Mind you all mention of the Goddess in the bible have been wipped by zealous monks of the 3rd and 4th century CE. All texts that didn't fit with catholic (which means "universal") views were eliminated. This is why any study is flawed from the start.

see the above

Not when you have cuneiforms and actual scrolls to match. It's a fallacy to say that there is no evidence for Biblical texts because of it being erased by people later. In some cases that might be true. But not in all cases. Definitely not this case. If you read the cuneiforms the confusion is made clear. El and el both mean God and god. So the confusion was about thinking a lesser god el was actually God. This is because Hebrew has no capitals. If you examine the text it is clear. It is talking about Asherah as the wife of a lesser god or "el" not Ahserah as the wife of God. Only my opinion. And what I've studied and been told. So I don't mean to be pushy and hope I don't come across that way. B)

Not when you have cuneiforms and actual scrolls to match. It's a fallacy to say that there is no evidence for Biblical texts because of it being erased by people later. In some cases that might be true. But not in all cases. Definitely not this case. If you read the cuneiforms the confusion is made clear. El and el both mean God and god. So the confusion was about thinking a lesser god el was actually God. This is because Hebrew has no capitals. If you examine the text it is clear. It is talking about Asherah as the wife of a lesser god or "el" not Ahserah as the wife of God. Only my opinion. And what I've studied and been told. So I don't mean to be pushy and hope I don't come across that way. B)

Well the bible was never writen in cuneiforms so that's one and second I'm more interested by the Kabalah than the bible and in the Kabalah which is the "alleged" true version of the bible Ashera is the mother of a lesser god yawheh who originally was a Caanite volcan god until Moses used his name to make the god we know today;

Well the bible was never writen in cuneiforms so that's one and second I'm more interested by the Kabalah than the bible and in the Kabalah which is the "alleged" true version of the bible Ashera is the mother of a lesser god yawheh who originally was a Caanite volcan god until Moses used his name to make the god we know today;

Any Biblical exegesis would require verfication outside the source. Cuneiforms match that up.

many people feel Jesus is god. I am not sure where I read it, but I have read it several times in various places, but in ancient times all over the world, the tradition is that the groom provided the wine for the wedding.

JEsus mother went to jesus and asked him to provide the wine for the wedding

So according to many, if you go by traditions, jesus was married and i would imagine if he went to heaven, so too then did his wife.

thus making 'god' married.

I am agnostic, so it does not matter one whit to me, but I have read such things. (i love reading bout mythology and traditions of times because they seem to go hand in hand)

i think the question is silly

what would god need with a wife? who would have married them? and where the heck did she come from? did he create a woman for himself as he did for adam?

no i don't want answers to these questions. what i would like to know is why do people attach so much importance to this nonsense?

i think the question is silly

what would god need with a wife? who would have married them? and where the heck did she come from? did he create a woman for himself as he did for adam?

no i don't want answers to these questions. what i would like to know is why do people attach so much importance to this nonsense?

Perhaps for the same reason they attach importance to all the other alleged things said about god and the bible? As for ''who would have married them'', if there was a god, and if he had a 'wife' I dont think it would be a wife in today's sense of the word. A partner of the opposite sex (or even the same sex,,,who knows). Somebody to pass the time of day with. Lets face it, being a god must be a pretty lonely and boring job :)