Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europe told to 'rethink security'

Talon

Europe told to 'rethink security'

A new study commissioned by the European Union has called for a fundamental rethink of Europe's approach to security.

It has also recommended the creation of a European Human Security Response Force, with 15,000 personnel.

The report was written by a study group convened last year at the request of EU foreign affairs chief Javier Solana.

He asked the group for independent advice on how best to pursue a common security policy for Europe.

Global insecurity

In the 21st Century, no country is immune from terrorism, organised crime, or the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the study's authors say.

They argue that the security of Europe is indivisible from the security situation in the rest of the world, and conclude that it is in Europe's own interest to tackle the growing global insecurity, within its borders and beyond.

But there is no call for a war on terror here.

The study proposes that human rather than nation-state security should be at the heart of European policy.

Rather than just defeating enemies, EU missions should focus on protecting civilians through law enforcement and with the occasional use of weapons.

The study says that at least one-third of the proposed European Human Security Force should be civilian, to benefit from a variety of professional skills.

This European Human Security study is to be presented on Wednesday at the Barcelona Forum, a five-month international extravaganza which has focused, amongst other things, on world peace.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3657752.stm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Babs

• Fluffybunny

• Talon

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 21st century, no country is immune from terrorism, organized crime or the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the study's authors say. They argue that the security of Europe is indivisible from the security situation in the rest of the world, and conclude that it is in Europe's own interest to tackle the growing global insecurity, within it's borders and beyond. But there is no call for a war on terror.

This so interesting. I am reminded of what I have been saying for so long about 'european thinking' and where that kind of thinking will get us in the war on terror. It seems that others have heard me grin2.gif

Fox News....

here

I am behind Putin, he's talking just like us now and look what the euros are saying. I'm not a bit surprised. rolleyes.gifcool.gif

Edited by Babs

Great link Babs, seems like I've heard some of that before. whistling2.gif

Babs do you ever tire of making bigoted illeducated and illinformed comments.

You really dont know anything about Vladimir Putin do you???

He hast just started talking like thiis , hes been doing it for 7 years.

Its hilarious how your poorly educated comments make you look daft . ill illistrate it in two points.

1) valdimir putin was the one who was criticised by america for being so hardline in chechnya, with bush even saying that what russia was doin in chechnya was "illegal". this was pre-9/11. But its ok i wouldnbt have expected you to care then , nothing had happened in america then.

2) the european rapid reaction force is the the very force that bush tried to stop ever being formed pre-911 lol lol lol, he didnt want Europe to have its own force lol.

Babs seriously your racist atitude towards europe is only bettered by your ignorance on not only europe but the world.

The planet wasnt formed after 9/11 lol it existed way before then.

i read the link, its some idiots clueless and racist rant about europeans.

Funny how they forgot that their closest ally is british and that we are the only country on the planet who have REALLY supported america.

Funny...you sound clueless and hateful. sleep.gif

towards who exactly?

at least prove that the stement above i made was wrong??

i answer your posts in depth just to receive replies lik ethat.

Edited by wunarmdscissor

Babs, Wun I have had enough of the bickering.

From this point forward if you wish to fight back and forth do it by PM, email, or carrier pigeon as far as I am concerned, but not in the middle of an otherwise productive topic.