Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Driverless Cars on the Highway

J. K.

It's time for the next big automotive revolution.

A century ago, the horse-drawn carriage became obsolete. Within the last decade, GPS technology rendered paper maps useless.And if the electric movement gets going in earnest, gasoline may one day be a thing of the past.

Next on the chopping block: the need for human drivers.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Paracelse

• and-then

• J. K.

Hi,I am in the U.K. and see loads of cars on the motorways,but very few have human drivers,as they are mostly no brain Zombies,its worse than being on the front line in Afghanland,very scary....cheers

This will create a whole new specialty in law. Imagine the good once it's perfected. No more need for anyone to get a DUI or for careless collisions of any kind. The one immediate downside I see is for truck drivers and cabbies.

Traffic tickets and fees bring a large number of revenue to the government. I can see this being squashed if it catches on, regardless if its a good thing.

Lol @ the people looking at solely the benefits. I agree King Fluffs, its a little scary. No control over vehicle = the car or who ever controls it has authority. Imagine in a police state or something -.-

unless they run on petrol the govenment simple wont allow there use so as long as the do everything should be fine

I know here in Colorado we have way WAY too many driverless cars. All the people whom flock here from California on our roadways. Do they not teach you how to drive out west? :)

Even though youre not driving, you would still be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle..so things could get a bit iffy legally in the event of an accident..as things are now with insurance.

If there was any internet involved in the navigation or control of the vehicle could hackers resist the temptation to cause mayhem or disruption?

I dont think I would like not being in control having driven all my life, though if I was born into it...of course that would be all you knew so you would have to get used to it.

Once we create machines who can think for us and maintain themselves we will probably evolve into brain dead marshmallows..

Top Gear had a story on this. I think Jeremy Clarkson's views stuck with me. He said something like:

The problem with driverless cars is that cars still require maintenance and we have backyard mechanics. I can just see some bloke called Keith figuring "I can do this service" Next thing you know "Keith" Is hurtling down the highway straight at your vehicle with no control......

It's sounds a bit funny, but makes for a sobering scenario.

Top Gear had a story on this. I think Jeremy Clarkson's views stuck with me. He said something like:

The problem with driverless cars is that cars still require maintenance and we have backyard mechanics. I can just see some bloke called Keith figuring "I can do this service" Next thing you know "Keith" Is hurtling down the highway straight at your vehicle with no control......

It's sounds a bit funny, but makes for a sobering scenario.

Even scarier, how long will it take for someone to create a phone app that takes over control of those cars...

Hi,I am in the U.K. and see loads of cars on the motorways,but very few have human drivers,as they are mostly no brain Zombies,its worse than being on the front line in Afghanland,very scary....cheers

Here, too. No one seems to know what an indicator light is for... :rolleyes:

I know here in Colorado we have way WAY too many driverless cars. All the people whom flock here from California on our roadways. Do they not teach you how to drive out west? :)

I think it's push down on the gas pedal, close your eyes and go. :P

If there was any internet involved in the navigation or control of the vehicle could hackers resist the temptation to cause mayhem or disruption?

I dont think I would like not being in control having driven all my life, though if I was born into it...of course that would be all you knew so you would have to get used to it.

Once we create machines who can think for us and maintain themselves we will probably evolve into brain dead marshmallows..

Aren't more and more cars connected to the internet anyway, at least for directions? I've never heard of hackers going nuts and misdirecting people. Seems to me that hackers do things only to benefit themselves and I don't see how causing mayhem or disruption would benefit them. Unless you're the bad guys in Live Free or Die Hard. And I don't suppose you use much public transportation or fly anywhere, do you?

Even scarier, how long will it take for someone to create a phone app that takes over control of those cars...

If you believe their press, Iran took control of a multimillion dollar US drone and landed it - maybe with a wee bit of help from the Russians. So electronically hijacking a car would probably be easy - ish.

That is a good point, I would bet hackers would love to tell some of these cars where they feel they should be travelling. You might get in to go to work one day, and pull up at some rally or something.

That is if Keith does not get you along the way!

So, y'all are having that problem too? The thing that galls me is that then they say the native drivers don't know how to drive after they've finished messing up traffic...

I don't see much ohhhh in this.. But then I have been hearing my hubby giving me the details of it for a couple years now. He's thrilled about all of this, I still like driving enough to want to drive myself, lol.

We already have cars that can park themselves, stop themselves, have adaptive cruise control, GPS, lowjacks, lane departure warning systems, night vision systems, and pre-crash systems. The first series of self driving cars started being tested in 2010. It was only a matter of time before the test grounds started getting approval for real life driving.