Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Famous Nessie Photo Boosted

silverity

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• silverity

• hucksterfoot

• Neognosis

• Rafterman

silverity, Is that your blog?

I did this analysis of the Peter MacNab (Nessie near the Castle) photograph which IMO boosts its credibility.

Article

Roland

So you don't think the discrepancy between the Whyte version and Mackal version has anything to do with the camera lens?

There is much more visible in the background in the Mackal version.

I'm thinking two different cameras with different mm lenses.

What size lens was on his fixed-focus Kodak? Do you know what model it was?

Reason of edit: completely massacred the word discrepancy. :]

Edited by hucksterfoot

I did this analysis of the Peter MacNab (Nessie near the Castle) photograph which IMO boosts its credibility.

Article

Roland

Just one question: How much is the book you are undoubtedly trying to sell?

Just one question: How much is the book you are undoubtedly trying to sell?

Not a lot and what I spend on trips and equipment to Loch Ness outweighs it substantially!

Roland

Plus, I'm going to add what I was also thinking:

...and of course, the slight different orientation when taking a picture of the same thing; with two cameras, that have different lenses.

:]

A wave that produces it own wake?

A wave that looks like it produces its own wake, yes.

I spend a lot of time on the water and I've lost track of the number of times my buddies and I have pointed out things that could be confused as 'sea monsters' to the inexperienced - birds, fish, wakes, logs, waves, turtles, light, other boats, etc. etc.

Plus, I'm going to add what I was also thinking:

:]

good video, that it pretty much sums it all up.

So you don't think the discrepancy between the Whyte version and Mackal version has anything to do with the camera lens?

There is much more visible in the background in the Mackal version.

What size lens was on his fixed-focus Kodak? Do you know what model it was?

Reason of edit: completely massacred the word discrepancy. :]

Hello,

The creature is in the same spot on both pictures when overlaid, it would have moved enough to have been noticed if MacNab had spent X seconds switching, focusing and snapping on another camera. I don't know any more about the Kodak.

Roland

good video, that it pretty much sums it all up.

I realise that standing waves and boat wakes do account for some Nessie sightings but I do not think this applies here as

1. There are only two "waves" visible.

2. Where is the rest of the waves that would follow the boat?

3. The largest wave/hump is nearly three feet high!

4. Again, the "waves" are generating their own wake which is not likely.

Roland

A wave that looks like it produces its own wake, yes.

I spend a lot of time on the water and I've lost track of the number of times my buddies and I have pointed out things that could be confused as 'sea monsters' to the inexperienced - birds, fish, wakes, logs, waves, turtles, light, other boats, etc. etc.

True, but not in this case (as I argue elsewhere on this thread).

Roland

Hello,

The creature is in the same spot on both pictures when overlaid, it would have moved enough to have been noticed if MacNab had spent X seconds switching, focusing and snapping on another camera. I don't know any more about the Kodak.

Roland

Not if it is dead.

Edited by hucksterfoot

One has to do a lot of fudging to get things to line up. Even then it still is distorted.

Loch_Mess.gif

Mackal fade to Whyte

---

Unless there is more to that Constance Whyte version? then how can the Mackal version be a zoom-in/cut off when the Mackal version has more background (detail the Whyte version doesn't have)

If the Whyte version was cropped at the top? that would explain that.

The negative might have details that the Whyte version doesn't show (at the top) even though the bottom was possibly damaged on MacNab's negative.

So, I guess it could be a zoom-in/cut off.

lol

I realise that standing waves and boat wakes do account for some Nessie sightings but I do not think this applies here as

1. There are only two "waves" visible.

2. Where is the rest of the waves that would follow the boat?

3. The largest wave/hump is nearly three feet high!

4. Again, the "waves" are generating their own wake which is not likely.

Two points/questions I think need to be made here:

1- I am not a hydrologist, or a person who studies water and lakes for a living. I can only make observations on my own. I don't know for sure how waves form, how or why they dissipate, or all the ways that wakes and water movements form in large bodies of water. I don't think you are either. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

2- When presented with a picture that could either show some water movement in a large lake, or a giant, prehistoric monster that has not left behind a shred of credible evidence, why on earth would you choose the latter?

The creature is in the same spot on both pictures when overlaid, it would have moved enough to have been noticed if MacNab had spent X seconds switching, focusing and snapping on another camera.

To add: It could be that photo tampering doesn't know how to swim.

Two points/questions I think need to be made here:

1- I am not a hydrologist, or a person who studies water and lakes for a living. I can only make observations on my own. I don't know for sure how waves form, how or why they dissipate, or all the ways that wakes and water movements form in large bodies of water. I don't think you are either. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

2- When presented with a picture that could either show some water movement in a large lake, or a giant, prehistoric monster that has not left behind a shred of credible evidence, why on earth would you choose the latter?

Maybe it's the lead bull bringing his herd down to for the annual salmon run.

Hello,

Roland

It is an interesting take on the photo's, but how do you account for the major impossibilities if you felt your analysis proves a monster lives in the loch? Food and populations factors being the foremost?

The distortion is caused by something not being flat. :]

Like when you're taking a photograph of a print.

I was thinking that MacNab had re-photographed photos from two different cameras; and the difference in the lenses causing this distortion. But, I think he was photographing a print ...and that negative was a photograph of a not so flat and plane print.

No huge conspiracy, is needed ...for this photo tampering monster.

If the Mackal Version is zoomed in and the bottom cut, then there is no way information can be added (Info not in the MacNab version) to the top.

Lochmess.jpg

MacNab taking photos from a print would explain this though.