Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your favorite Villians and Bad Guys

Cassea

When I was younger I was so in love with Hans Gruber from the Die Hard movie. Then he went on to be Professor Snape and I was in bliss! I love a cynical, intellectual genius who is a loner but somehow runs the show.

hans-gruber.jpg

Gene Hackman's character in The Firm

Avary Tolar was one of those martyr types who was either a good guy at the end of the day or just bored with the whole mess. That for some reason impressed me.

993TFM_Gene_Hackman_008.jpg

Brian Dennehy in Rambo First Blood, he was a pain in the butt but he was in way over his head and finally figured it out. He was stocky and tough, love a man in uniform.

sylvester_stallone_rambo_first_blood_movie_image_brian_dennehy.jpg

Vin Diesel's character Riddick in Pitch Black wasn't exactly a villian. But he was supposed to be the bad guy and he saved everyone's butt. He was super strong, very smart and tough. Plus he did the scene where he dislocates his shoulder for real.

Bad5-400x450.jpg

Edited by Cassea

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• BlindMessiah

• Funky Poacher

• Cassea

My fav bad guy is neither dashing nor debonaire but he is most certainly bad.

Heath Ledgers portrayal of The Joker in, The Dark Knight, epitomised the evil loner

freak to a tee. Incorruptable evil, he said laughing as Batman was trying to beat information

out of him, "You have nothing to threaten me with." :devil:

new-joker-poster-heath-ledger-the-dark-knight1%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Device

batman-cast-ras-al-ghul.jpg

Have to appreciate his ideals in a the DC universe, after all dead criminals tend to not commit crimes.

Cassea.....your quote 'I love a cynical, intellectual genius who is a loner but somehow runs the show'' made me blush :blush:

Heath Ledgers portrayal of The Joker in, The Dark Knight, epitomised the evil loner

freak to a tee. Incorruptable evil, he said laughing as Batman was trying to beat information

I have to agree, others are Gary Oldman in Dracula

18835.jpg

And although he definitely was not evil after the fact, Sam Worthington saved Terminator Salvations as ex murderer on death row turned Terminator

Plus I like Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis

star-trek-nemesis-tom-hardy_288x288.jpg

Funny you should use this one. It was this character is someone's avatar that inspired me to start this thread. He was very sexy in this role, even dressed up in the Nurses uniform.

I'm just going to stick to two because if I did more I'd be here all night. So starting with the best bad guy ever (and this is not just my opinion, the Scream Awards 2011 voted him the best bad guy ever) - the incomparable Darth Vader *synthetic breathing*

darth-vader-face.jpg

There is no comparison, he is the ultimate bad guy. However, in saying that, one of my other favourite bad guys (and much more human than Vader ever was, even when he was portrayed as Anakin), is one Brigadier General Francis X. Hummel. He was the villain in The Rock, facing up against Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage.

TheRockHummel.jpg

This villain was scripted into a film made by Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay (name any action film with no plot and massive explosions made in the last fifteen years and chances are these guys are involved somewhere). However, with The Rock Ed Harris (who played Hummel) managed to legitimise the whole story. He played a believable character who was not just evil for the sake of evil, but had a very strong moral idea of self (which tragically led to him taking tragic actions). For an action film he was a bad guy we could sympathise with and understand their motives (if not agree with their actions). Powerful theatre :tu:

I want to watch The Rock again now. Damn you for starting this thread :ph34r::P

~ PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

I agree with all of the above but...

As I tend toward comedy let me add a few:

Boris Badenoff (Rocky And Bullwinkle)

Cactus Jack Slade (Kirk Douglas from the comedy western "The Villan" - a Live action Road Runner Cartoon)

Wyle E Coyote (even though he's the 'villian' almost everyone roots for him)

Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman from "Blazing Saddles")

The Incredibly Rude Frenchman (From Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

A few more traditional 'bad guys'...

Professor Snape (Harry Potter movies)

Sgt Stryker(?) (John Wayne - "The Sands of Iwo Jima" - a 'bad guy' with a good reason)

Hannibal Lector

Funny you should use this one. It was this character is someone's avatar that inspired me to start this thread.

Yeah, that was my last avatar. I changed it to this 'donnie darko' panda.

He was very sexy in this role, even dressed up in the Nurses uniform.

Yeah that was a cool scene in the hospital. Looked like some messed-up drag queen.

Good topic.

I'll just quickly slip another one in here.

Clancy Brown as the Kurgan in the 1986 film The Highlander.

An 'unstoppable force of darkness'. A Terminator type character

but cooler - in my opinion.

kurgan1d.jpg

Edited by Device

The Operative from Serenity. Calm, collective, and rather philosophical. What I love about him is that unlike many villains he freely acknowledges that he's evil. In his mind he's working towards a goal that he can never share.

"I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Though I think my favourite villain has to be David Xanatos from Gargoyles, mainly due to how to reacts when things go wrong. Some vast plot of his could blow up in his face and while other villains would rage and vow revenge, he just takes it in stride and moves on, pleased that he at least learned something from his failures.

30405805_.jpg

0a9cdc7c-0172-44b9-a76c-f1446fc49b1f.png?t=1318307905

ming_the_merciless.jpg

RoadWarrior_MadMax_VernonWells.jpg

11_obama_lg.jpg

Wyle E Coyote (even though he's the 'villian' almost everyone roots for him)

I've always thought of Wyle E as more of a hero. No matter how bad he gets the crap beat out of him he never gives up. :tu:

I've also always loved the calm, smart bad guy. My all time faves:

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs

hanniballecter.jpg

John Malkovich as Mitch Leary in In the Line of Fire

MV5BMTQ4OTYxOTUwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIyMDkyNA@@._V1._SX640_SY969_.jpg

And my all-time favorite:

Kevin Spacey as John Doe in Se7en

16266-16972.gif

OH, and Christopher Walken turns any role he plays into a creepy bad villain.

Gotta go with the Governor from the Walking Dead comics/books. Soon to be seen on TV.

It's hard to get more diabolical than that guy.

Sir Guy Of Gisborne (Basil Rathbone) in The Adventures Of Robin Hood

tumblr_lilyricBKb1qi5uyeo1_400.jpg

Hans Beckert (Peter Lorre) in M

peter-lorre1.jpg

Doctor Gogol (Peter Lorre) in Mad Love

madlove1.jpg

Hjalmar Poelzig (Boris Karloff) in The Black Cat

tumblr_lhzcwlCq0z1qb1lx2o1_400.jpg

Cabman John Gray (Boris Karloff) in The Body Snatcher

MV5BMTMzNjY0NzQ3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzk1MzM2._V1._SX363_SY450_.jpg

Dr. Julian Karswell (Niall McGinnis) in Night Of The Demon

Night+of+the+Demon+-+Dana+and+Niall.jpg

Mark Lewis (Carl Boehm) in Peeping Tom

500full.jpg

Frank (Henry Fonda) in Once Upon A Time In The West

once_upon_a_time_frank.jpg

William Hopkins (Vincent Price) in Witchfinder General

vicentprice.jpg

Dr Phibes (Vincent Price) in The Abominable Doctor Phibes

phibes%2Bprice.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by dside

Harry Lime (Orson Wells) in The Third Man

orson_welles_5.jpg

Harry Powell(Robert Mitchum) in Night Of The Hunter

max-cady.jpg

Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in Blade Runner

rutger2_610x302.jpg

Jareth The Goblin King (David Bowie) in Labyrinth

jareth-the-goblin-king-lrg.png

Gordon Gecko (Michael Douglas) in Wall Street

SS_Wall_St_Movies_wall.jpg

Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) and Count Tyrone Rugen (Christopher Guest) in The Princess Bride

christopher-guest-chris-sarandon-prince-humperdinck-count-tyrone-rugen.jpg

Lord Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis) in Spaceballs

MV5BMjA0MTY0MzEzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc0MjI3NA@@._V1._SX640_SY957_.jpg

Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) in Unforgiven

250_hackman_little-bill_345.jpg

Archibald Cunningham (Tim Roth) in Rob Roy

rob-roy-176.jpg

To be continued...

The Operative from Serenity. Calm, collective, and rather philosophical. What I love about him is that unlike many villains he freely acknowledges that he's evil. In his mind he's working towards a goal that he can never share.

"I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I was too disappointed that the "hands of blue, two by two" weren't in the movie to fully enjoy his role.

Great catch on those dside... man there were some there I had forgotten about!! :tu:

I would like to add the most insidious villian ever, and it's not even a person...

The One Ring - From the Lord Of The Rings movies

It was totally evil, corrupted everyone and had a will of it's own....

Ring.jpg

Mr dside obviously likes the classics. I can't say as there is anything wrong with that. Many of those films I also consider as favourites (especially the 80's stuff since that was what I grew up with as a kid). Thanks for that *I'll still be sticking with my picks, of course :P*

I was too disappointed that the "hands of blue, two by two" weren't in the movie to fully enjoy his role.

You mean you were more distracted by that than the obvious character backtracking in the film? Also, you have that backwards.

Great catch on those dside... man there were some there I had forgotten about!! :tu:

I would like to add the most insidious villian ever, and it's not even a person...

The One Ring - From the Lord Of The Rings movies

It was totally evil, corrupted everyone and had a will of it's own....

Ring.jpg

It didn't corrupt Galadriel.

Edited by Funky Poacher

You mean you were more distracted by that than the obvious character backtracking in the film? Also, you have that backwards.

The backtracking was annoying, but I found dropping the entire show's main villain plot line to be far more excruciating. So it was "two by two, hands of blue?"

The backtracking was annoying, but I found dropping the entire show's main villain plot line to be far more excruciating. So it was "two by two, hands of blue?"

Yes, it was "two by two, hands of blue". And the Reavers were a VERY big part of the show, to be fair.