Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scole experiment Documentary

Bogeyman

Have always been fascinated by the Scole experiment but could never get enough info on it.....found this documentary narrated by Donal Mcintyre, It's new to me and does seem to provide some credible evidence for continuity.....opinions ??

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/88897/Ghosts__The_Scole_Experiment/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bogeyman

• Rafterman

• PhenomInvestigator

• DoctorBeautiful

Most, if not all, documentaries of this nature is only thought provoking. You very rarely see anything actually captured on film.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a podcast with some good info on the Scole experiment: Listen

Wrong link...nothing about it there. I've heard some of the sceptical arguments which are pretty weak in my opinion. They all seemed to be based on the assumption that these people set out to deceive, which i don't think is the case. If you can dig it up i'll listen.

Thanks

Wrong link...nothing about it there. I've heard some of the sceptical arguments which are pretty weak in my opinion. They all seemed to be based on the assumption that these people set out to deceive, which i don't think is the case. If you can dig it up i'll listen.

Thanks

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4179

And I have to agree with Mr. Dunning - the mediums utilized well known parlor tricks to fool a group that somehow overlooked the very basics of the scientific method.

Also, if these experiments did, indeed, prove the existence of the paranormal, why isn't it common knowledge in the scientific world?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I feel like such a thread killer.

:lol: Don't take it to heart ...you've got be sceptical otherwise you're a fool.

Regarding the Scole experiment i'm also sceptical as i am about most stuff........BUT :rolleyes: Tthere's just something about this one with me that wont go away.

I keep coming back to it. Sure i know that they can all be called parlour tricks....of course but this doesn't mean they are.

I look at the people and the motivation and i give leeway for thst.

If the people who tried to vindicate the trials are being truthful (and again i believe they are) well then why go to all the trouble of trying to fool people for what was at the time an experiment known only to a few people.

Of course the naysayers will poo poo the whole thing but if you look at most of them they havent bothered their arses to research it properly ...they just say "oh yes thats all parlour tricks that have been disproven before" .....anyway stay sceptical......it's healthy

• 4 weeks later...

I've read a bit on the experiment. It amounts to what are folks willing to except as proof... Nothing more. I agree we should question everything. I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Before judging the Scole work, you should read the detailed accounts in Witnessing the Impossible by Robin Foy, the leader of the Scole team. There is also a fine report written by the three scientists who directly participated in many of the sessions that was published by the Society for Psychical Research in London. The backgrounds of these scientists was stellar, and they did take into account many of the fraudulent techniques which are reasonably well-known today amongst those who carefully research mediumship (as opposed to lay people who simply witness it). At least two leading British magicians reviewed the evidence and determined they had no idea how to produce it by magical methods. While the real story is probably not that straightforward - it rarely is when events progress for a decade - it is equally irresponsible to simply presume the whole thing must be a hoax. It is also useful to know that the Scole team is not the only physical mediumship circle sitting. Others, like the Felix Group in Germany, are still sitting. And scientists are actively investigating them. There is some interesting evidence that they may be onto something which could potentially be quite interesting and evidential. But it takes time because everyone is suspicious of everyone else in reality. And of course, there is the real and nasty reality that fraudulent physical mediums do still exist to this day.

Edited by PhenomInvestigator