Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is not a religion

Magicjax

Ive heard and read this belief that atheism is a religion and it really doesn't make any sense to me. The first requirement in any religion is to worship and/or belief in a super natural, superhuman controlling power. In other words, a god or gods. Atheism is the exact opposite of this.

Forgive the humorous slang to this but it's actually a true statement I read. "Atheism is a religion like Abstinence is a sexual position". :)

Now we all know that to be an atheist you have to have some thought on religion. Its a concept one has to consider in order to be an atheist. After all the word "atheist" would not exist if religion didn't exist. But the study if something that brings a person to not believe the study is accurate or believable doesn't make a person a believer in that subject of study. It simply means a person took the information and came to a conclusion based on what they learned from that quest for knowledge. To be an atheist is to be a person who has been told or read about the concept of religion and god/s and do not find any evidence in believing the accuracy or likelihood of that information. We see no reason to believe a god exists and therefor are not a fallower of religion. Atheism is not a religion.

If there is a person who has no knowledge of the concept of religion on the other hand. They wouldn't call themselves atheist. The subject simply wouldn't need to be addressed or given a title. But in the culture I live in at least where everyone knows of religion. The title of "atheist" basically means that the person knows about the concept or religion and belief in god/s. but do not find any evidence to support the accuracy of the claim that there is a god.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Magicjax

• Lion6969

• ChloeB

Aaaah well, I'm just giving you a hard time. It's always a popular topic for sure.

Atheism is not a religion, but some of the more vocal proponents of it are religious-like in their zeal.

I think the word 'religion' is misleading in that context. To my mind it's more about the adherence to an ideology. The so-called militant atheists (eg, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Myers....) use tactics similar to ovezealous religious ideologues:

They are right, everyone that doesn't agree is wrong.

There are no half measures. There's no room for tolerance of any opposing view.

Any atheist showing tolerance to religious belief is a traitor to the cause.

They preach.

They will persecute you (ridicule, not burning at the stake) if you're not one of them.

Their mission is to convert as many “non-believers” as possible.

And probably a lot more examples than that.

Most atheists are not like that, but as always, it's the more vocal minority that makes all the noise.

Coming from an atheist, atheism really is very similar to a religion. You have your set of beliefs, and deny others. You have your own evidence that you say supports your claims. You have your zealots. Not to mention the feuds that erupt from it due to differences of belief. You can bring up dictionary definitions to defend your point. But, the bottom line is that it's a belief system, like all the others.

Edited by Bracket

I swear, another one of these? If Atheism is not a religion, preaching that Atheism is not a religion IS a religion. http://www.unexplain...pic=221863&st=0 I could find 50 more if I cared to waste a few more minutes.

I know I thought am I seeing things? lol

I apologize. I didn't realize. It's just something I got to thinking about. I was also mistaken in my OP. My quote isnt something i read but It's from a video I watched. Here it is. I know it's humorously put but I do feel he made some good points.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f8U_JveHS8E

This is the exact same video posted in this thread that is also titled - Atheism is not a religion by Bill Maher

Seen inhere --> http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221863

Maybe you just didn't realize.. but it was rather recent ...sorry

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Sorry about that. I usually do search before posting. This time I was just in a waiting room on my phone and shared the thought in this only place I go to to talk about these things (UM). If the mods want to delete or connect this to the other one I completely understand.

Sorry about that. I usually do search before posting. This time I was just in a waiting room on my phone and shared the thought in this only place I go to to talk about these things (UM). If the mods want to delete or connect this to the other one I completely understand.

Its OK I am not going to complain I just thoughts maybe you didn't realize.. .These things happen

Atheism is not a religion, but some of the more vocal proponents of it are religious-like in their zeal.

Quoting to agree with this. It pretty much sums the matter up. Religion is not a word that should automatically adhere too atheism, but some atheists do test their views as a religion. Not all, of course. Many atheists simply see noooo evidence of God. But some take the extra step to not just state that God does not exist but even go as far as to try and convert theists to their way of thinking.

Really, athiesm is not a religion or a belief, then what is it?

The non-religious.

I dint ask who are the followers (non religious) I asked if atheism is not a belief or a religion then what is it?

Non-belief in "god"

No. Atheism is simply saying:

"I've never seen, heard, felt or smelled anything that makes me believe the story I've heard or read about of this figure they call god really exists".

To say that constitute as a religion or a belief is kinda like saying if fish had hair their hair would be red. If someone where to claim that would you call that claim a belief? Of course not. It would simply mean that you've never seen, heard or felt a red haired fish.

Edited by Magicjax

So is it a belief?

You think - Non-Beleif = belief?.... How does that make sense? What is the point in putting the word - Non in front ... décor? make it look longer?

So Non-smoker -= Smoker ? ....... Non-Drinker = drinks like a fish? ......... Non Driver = Driver? ...Non-Fiction = Fiction ?

It is not a belief system or religion that's for sure... Playing on words like belief twisting to make it out as something it clearly isn't .....is not washing

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Atheism is the belief in non belief. Basically atheists choose to believe in god based on faith. They theory dictates there is not sufficient proof to warrant a gods existence. Can they prove he does not exist? No! So therefore it's a belief in something they have no certainty (which by the way is their own standard of knowledge- certainty through verification). So if you can't verify something does not exist, does that negate the existence of god? No!

So they belief in having this non belief, is simply a matter of faith. Failure to move past a sole standard of knowledge is the key to not grasping the logical truths that he does exist

Edited by Lion6969

Atheism is the belief in non belief.

Just as I thought... word play lol.... It is not a belief in the sense that religion is... It has the NON in front to describe it for a reason !!!!!

Atheism is the belief in non belief. Basically atheists choose to believe in god based on faith. They theory dictates there is not sufficient proof to warrant a gods existence. Can they prove he does not exist? No! So therefore it's a belief in something they have no certainty (which by the way is their own standard of knowledge- certainty through verification). So if you can't verify something does not exist, does that negate the existence of god? No!

So they belief in having this non belief, is simply a matter of faith. Failure to move past a sole standard of knowledge is the key to not grasping the logical truths that he does exist

Wait. Did you just say Atheists do believe in god? lol

So is it a belief?

It's a way of life,a means to an end,point A to point B etc. etc.

Atheism is the acceptance that there is insufficient evidence to prove the existence of God. That said you can not prove the non-existence of something that has not been proved to exist. First the existence of God has to be proved and to date it has not been.

The same old tired responses of you can't prove God doesn't exist and Atheism is a faith are sad attempts to try to put the burden of proof anywhere than where it actually is, showing evidence of God's existence.

Having a God belief, (that there is no God) proselytizing it and defending against or attacking other belief systems - hmmm sounds sort of religion-like to me.