Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Qur'an burning riots in Afghanistan

and-then

I'm just going to fall into my most cynical of modes, and say that maybe a nuke storm in the middle east would not be the worst thing to happen. Scrub the millinia of cluster**** that is the whole region and allow some measure of a fresh start. Maybe we should let Iran get the bomb and run with it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• Yamato

• Beckys_Mom

• wittyusernamefailed

Well, as I suspected our apologist in chief has bent the knee and plead his mea culpa on behalf of evil America. The riots in Afghanistan are increasing rather than abating and Karzai now is demanding the trial of the soldier(s) who were responsible (for following orders). Obama should threaten Karzai's ass with the immediate cessation of all aid and a rapid draw down of US forces. To be accompanied by a policy zero tolerance for violent demonstration near US bases. And maybe a not so subtle hint that Karzai can't spend his graft earnings if he's dead.

What I've always found ironic is that on one hand this book is supposed to be held above all else in the Muslim world, but yet Mosques, Muslims on pilgrimages, etc. are routinely attacked, destroyed, and killed by other Muslim groups.

Surely there were a few Korans sitting around when these attacks happened.

Here's are just a couple of examples:

Sunni group claims suicide attack on Shiite mosque in Iran as toll rises to 27

TEHRAN, Iran — A Sunni insurgent group said it carried out a double suicide bombing against a Shiite mosque in southeast Iran to avenge the execution of its leader, as Iranian authorities Friday said the death toll rose to 27 people, including members of the elite Revolutionary Guard.

The blast was the latest by the group Jundallah, which has repeatedly succeeded in carrying out deadly strikes on the Guard, the country's most powerful military force — including an October suicide bombing that killed more than 40 people. It was a sign that the group is still able to carry out devastating attacks even after Iran hanged its leader Abdulmalik Rigi and his brother earlier this year.

Shiite worshippers were attending ceremonies marking the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Hussein, when the first blast went off outside the mosque in the provincial capital Zahedan. As people rushed to help, the second explosion detonated. The technique is often used by Sunni militants in Iraq to maximize casualties.

Members of the Guard were among the worshippers, particularly because the ceremonies coincided with Iran's official Revolutionary Guard Day. The deputy interior minister, Ali Abdollahi, told the Fars news agency Thursday that several Guard members were among the dead.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4467197

Bombings target Shiites in Iraq; dozens killed

The attacks, which bore the hallmarks of Sunni insurgents, come ahead of a Shiite holy day that draws hundreds of thousands of pilgrims from across Iraq, raising fears of a deepening of sectarian bloodshed. Rifts along the country's Sunni-Shiite faultline just a few years ago pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war.

The attacks began during Baghdad's morning rush hour when explosions struck the capital's largest Shiite neighborhood of Sadr City and another district that contains a Shiite shrine, killing at least 30 people, according to police.

Several hours later, a suicide attack hit pilgrims heading to the Shiite holy city of Karbala, killing 48, police said. The explosions took place near Nasiriyah, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) southeast of Baghdad.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-01-05/iraq-blasts/52384090/1

Exactly....it just reinforces the idea(for me) that the issue isn't the physical object but rather it's use to focus their hatred on anything or anyone that is other.Now two US troops were murdered by an afghan Army soldier after other US troops fired on and killed Afghan protesters. A General has gone to the base where they were killed to reassure other US troops and to caution them not to take revenge. This has the potential to get really ugly and before even one more American dies at the hand of an Afghan in uniform I'd break contact between the forces for a period of time to allow things to cool off. IT IS TIME TO GO. These people are not allies they are enemies of everything Western and if they aren't on board by now they never will be. Leave them to their passions, filth and misery. If they get it together at some point we can offer them assistance based on proof of progress: building schools, hospitals etc. If they choose to be lead by a 14th century system of subjugation then let them have what they want. When we see evidence of them gathering for terror training purposes then obliterate their efforts and screw what the world thinks. The UN is nothing but hypocrites anyway!

There...done with rant. This REALLY p***es me off.

Obama should threaten Karzai's ass with the immediate cessation of all aid and a rapid draw down of US forces.

I believe Karzai has asked for exactly that some time ago.

IT IS TIME TO GO. These people are not allies they are enemies of everything Western and if they aren't on board by now they never will be. Leave them to their passions, filth and misery. If they get it together at some point we can offer them assistance based on proof of progress: building schools, hospitals etc. If they choose to be lead by a 14th century system of subjugation then let them have what they want.

We're not there to westernize them, build schools, hospitals or progress them into the 21st century. Or even convert them to Christianity. But I agree, it is time to go.

Edited by ninjadude

UPDATE: 24/2/12

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/toll-mounts-in-afghan-riots-over-quran-burning-2198371.html

Over 20 dead now. Obama has apologized and caught heat for it from the Right. So he is going to wait awhile before kissing Pakistan's ass over the 24 REBELS in Pak uniforms we lit up a few weeks ago. This whole tumult over what amounts to a few hundred pages of ass wipe may actually be a blessing in disguise. Maybe these fanatics will go completely medieval on us and we can leave early while dispatching them in large numbers to that sandbox in the sky. If it weren't so damn sad it would be funny. Ten years, thousands of coffins and billions of dollars later and they come completely unglued with hatred over the burning of a few hundred pages of what amounts to toilet paper.

UPDATE: 24/2/12

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/toll-mounts-in-afghan-riots-over-quran-burning-2198371.html

Over 20 dead now. Obama has apologized and caught heat for it from the Right. So he is going to wait awhile before kissing Pakistan's ass over the 24 REBELS in Pak uniforms we lit up a few weeks ago. This whole tumult over what amounts to a few hundred pages of ass wipe may actually be a blessing in disguise. Maybe these fanatics will go completely medieval on us and we can leave early while dispatching them in large numbers to that sandbox in the sky. If it weren't so damn sad it would be funny. Ten years, thousands of coffins and billions of dollars later and they come completely unglued with hatred over the burning of a few hundred pages of what amounts to toilet paper.

So if the Afghans burn American flags you wouldn't be upset ? Just a piece of rag ain't it ?

So if the Afghans burn American flags you wouldn't be upset ? Just a piece of rag ain't it ?

Of course, just as you would if the Aussie flag were desecrated. But would I riot and cause the death of 20 or more people? Of course not and that's the whole point. These people exemplify hate on steroids. This book is regularly destroyed, as someone else here pointed out, in the blasts at mosques during prayers. They don't riot over those burned books. It's only when they can use the event as a focus of hate against an - other - that they raise hell. From your tone it sounds like you think they are justified to be so out of control.

Of course, just as you would if the Aussie flag were desecrated. But would I riot and cause the death of 20 or more people? Of course not and that's the whole point. These people exemplify hate on steroids. This book is regularly destroyed, as someone else here pointed out, in the blasts at mosques during prayers. They don't riot over those burned books. It's only when they can use the event as a focus of hate against an - other - that they raise hell. From your tone it sounds like you think they are justified to be so out of control.

No, I can't approve of violence over book-burning at all, but obviously there is a cultural difference here we have trouble as seeing anything other than primitive and ignorant in such reactions. Seems to me a hopeless campaign over there, I wonder what the soldiers on the ground think about it all, but if eleven years hasn't done the trick, it is time to leave.

They do burn American Flags, as well as Bibles and the Tora. It happens quite often. I don't see Christians, or Jews for that matter rioting and attacking innocent bystanders. Another example of what I said in a different thread about muslims and the truth about how "peaceful" they are.

No, I can't approve of violence over book-burning at all, but obviously there is a cultural difference here we have trouble as seeing anything other than primitive and ignorant in such reactions. Seems to me a hopeless campaign over there, I wonder what the soldiers on the ground think about it all, but if eleven years hasn't done the trick, it is time to leave.

I've been deployed over there on more occasions than I'd like to count. I can tell you what the west is being told and the AP is reporting is a complete fallacy.

6927783991_c0916c1b99_o.jpg

Press Conference by President Obama - Sept. 10, 2010

Excerpts from speech, in response to Pastor Terry Jones in Florida threatening to burn the holy Koran ...

Jake Tapper.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. A couple questions. First, were you concerned at all when you -- when the administration had Secretary of Defense Gates call this pastor in Florida that you were elevating somebody who is clearly from the fringe?

THE PRESIDENT: With respect to the individual down in Florida, let me just say -- let me repeat what I said a couple of days ago. The idea that we would burn the sacred texts of someone else’s religion is contrary to what this country stands for. It’s contrary to what this country -- this nation was founded on. And my hope is, is that this individual prays on it and refrains from doing it.

But I’m also Commander-in-Chief, and we are seeing today riots in Kabul, riots in Afghanistan, that threaten our young men and women in uniform. And so we’ve got an obligation to send a very clear message that this kind of behavior or threats of action put our young men and women in harm’s way. And it’s also the best imaginable recruiting tool for al Qaeda.

And although this may be one individual in Florida, part of my concern is to make sure that we don’t start having a whole bunch of folks all across the country think this is the way to get attention. This is a way of endangering our troops -- our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, husbands and wives who are sacrificing for us to keep us safe. And you don’t play games with that.

So I hardly think we’re the ones who elevated this story. But it is, in the age of the Internet, something that can cause us profound damage around the world, and so we’ve got to take it seriously.

MR. GIBBS: Last question.

THE PRESIDENT: Wendell.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. I wonder if I can get you to weigh in on the wisdom of building a mosque a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. We know that the organizers have the constitutional right. What would it say about this country if they were somehow talked out of doing that? And hasn’t the Florida minister’s threat to burn a couple hundred copies of the Koran, hasn’t the threat itself put American lives in danger, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, on the second -- on your second question, there’s no doubt that when someone goes out of their way to be provocative in ways that we know can inflame the passions of over a billion Muslims around the world, at a time when we’ve got our troops in a lot of Muslim countries, that's a problem. And it has made life a lot more difficult for our men and women in uniform who already have a very difficult job.

they come completely unglued with hatred over the burning of a few hundred pages of what amounts to toilet paper.

I'm sure they consider the Bible similarly.

I'm sure they consider the Bible similarly.

Actually they consider the Bible a Holy Book and would not burn it, nor would they burn the Torah - at least the Muslims I know feel that way (the type who would kill someone for having burnt a book are simply unhinged and all bets are off).

Jesus is a prophet as far as they are concerned after all.

Actually they consider the Bible a Holy Book and would not burn it, nor would they burn the Torah - at least the Muslims I know feel that way (the type who would kill someone for having burnt a book are simply unhinged and all bets are off).

Jesus is a prophet as far as they are concerned after all.

Would they consider it right to burn some of the major magical and Pagan texts?

Would they consider it right to burn some of the major magical and Pagan texts?

They had no problem blowing up the statues of Buddha (grrrrr) and all the biblical texts have issues with "witchcraft" et al so I'm afraid they would likely have no problem with that.

Two more US officers, a major and a colonel were killed in a "secure" site in Kabul today. The riots continue. The soldier(s) who carried out their orders haven't been mentioned again and I hope they've been reassigned out of the country. IT IS TIME TO GO. In an orderly manner but it is time to leave this mess with them to sort out. They've received more than sufficient help to have begun serious change if that is what they wanted. This behavior shows we've lost ground rather than gained it.

Two more US officers, a major and a colonel were killed in a "secure" site in Kabul today. The riots continue. The soldier(s) who carried out their orders haven't been mentioned again and I hope they've been reassigned out of the country. IT IS TIME TO GO. In an orderly manner but it is time to leave this mess with them to sort out. They've received more than sufficient help to have begun serious change if that is what they wanted. This behavior shows we've lost ground rather than gained it.

Should have supported the guy who had this figured out in 2007, Ron Paul. Is it better to be as slow as this? How many more have died since then? How many more still will?

Put your grunt faces on, and tell me you can see average jarheads singing Kumbaya around that camp fire.

Edited by Raptor Witness

No **** Sherlock,well it wouldn't be the first time the US have made a hash of it and got out when the going got tough.

Edited by shaddow134

No **** Sherlock,well it wouldn't be the first time the US have made a hash of it and got out when the going got tough.

At least we've tried to make a difference. If you're insinuating that America has a history of cowardice, you're an idiot. Ten years of bleeding and paying while trying to help these people build a better life for themselves is hardly an example of leaving when the going gets tough. Not sure where you're from and don't really care but when you get your wish and the US isn't a superpower anymore you might wonder who'll be on the list to help you out when they come for you. Chances are it'll be nobody.

At least we've tried to make a difference. If you're insinuating that America has a history of cowardice, you're an idiot. Ten years of bleeding and paying while trying to help these people build a better life for themselves is hardly an example of leaving when the going gets tough. Not sure where you're from and don't really care but when you get your wish and the US isn't a superpower anymore you might wonder who'll be on the list to help you out when they come for you. Chances are it'll be nobody.

I am in no way insinuatining Americans are cowards as i know that to be untrue,but US troops have just undone a lot of good work and given the Mullahs plenty of recruitment to keep them going for Years to come.So yeah pull out and a lot of VERY BRAVE troops have died for nothing.

How is burning another religious book called error? Hello people ? What did they expect from doing such a disgusting thing? come on people, whos at fault here?