Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Qur'an burning riots in Afghanistan

and-then

How is burning another religious book called error? Hello people ? What did they expect from doing such a disgusting thing? come on people, whos at fault here?

In the US press we are told that these Qur'ans were used by detainees to send messages by writing in the pages. For that reason a decision was made to destroy them. There was no ceremony, no attempt to insult anyone. They were just destroying books. In a similar situation if a Bible were being burned, though Christians would be offended, we would not riot and kill human beings over a few pages of paper with ink on them. Why are there no riots when Muslims explode bombs in mosques and destroy Qur'ans? It's hypocritical and people in the West are sick of Muslims crying about people "offending" their so called prophet. Time to move into the 21st century...or at least the 16th or 17th.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• Yamato

• Beckys_Mom

• wittyusernamefailed

In the US press we are told that these Qur'ans were used by detainees to send messages by writing in the pages. For that reason a decision was made to destroy them. There was no ceremony, no attempt to insult anyone. They were just destroying books. In a similar situation if a Bible were being burned, though Christians would be offended, we would not riot and kill human beings over a few pages of paper with ink on them. Why are there no riots when Muslims explode bombs in mosques and destroy Qur'ans? It's hypocritical and people in the West are sick of Muslims crying about people "offending" their so called prophet. Time to move into the 21st century...or at least the 16th or 17th.

What a great reason NOT to destroy them. If I'm to believe this story, then those books were called Evidence. Burning them for the reason given is yet another retarded media story someone else will have to believe for me.

Cherry is right. War grows many ugly appendages and causes many unexpected consequences. The reason to avoid it in the first place, if "a lot of brave men will have died for nothing" isn't already. How many times do the contemporaries in Washington DC need to learn the same lesson the hard way before they can learn it?

What a great reason NOT to destroy them. If I'm to believe this story, then those books were called Evidence. Burning them for the reason given is yet another retarded media story someone else will have to believe for me.

Cherry is right. War grows many ugly appendages and causes many unexpected consequences. The reason to avoid it in the first place, if "a lot of brave men will have died for nothing" isn't already. How many times do the contemporaries in Washington DC need to learn the same lesson the hard way before they can learn it?

Without it being their or their children's blood - never. But occasionally their are just reasons to begin a war. Afghanistan was one of those. The fact that their was no clearly defined mission on Bush OR Obama's part is what lead us to this point. Burning these books isn't something I would have done and frankly,it was stupid. But the fact remains that a lot of blood and treasure have been spent, a lot of good has been done and a single stupid, inappropriate incident has them ready to lynch as many troops as they can get their hands on.

Her attitude was ridiculous. She was incredulous that we couldn't see that of course they should kill because of a damn book being burned. You seem to be in agreement with her.

IT'S A BOOK! Paper and ink.

Yes like the bible it is only a book, paper and ink..... That's how I see all holy books..

I agree that these muslims are pushing to the extreme over book burning.. But how would you react if you saw a bunch of people stand and burn your bible? You may not want to kill or destroy.. But you would be upset right? Angry even? I am saying this because I have noticed yourself and others think that even if someone questions your faith it is like an attack or ambush... OS I can just imagine how you all would react if people were burning bibles.. eh? ...<--.. I think that is a fair statement to make..It called looking at it from the other side of the fence

But I still think that these Muslims wanting to bring death to America over a book burning that is absolutely disgraceful

Such a shame that it was the U.S. that trained them during the Afgan Soviet war. That madness you speak of is of a radical outlook to radicals bleeping with them. The cia trained and gave them the ability to fight the soviets. Now we pay the price. *snip* look at the cause and effect.

There holy book is just a book, burning one is is not the issue.

Um the Afghan Soviet war happened in 1988 which means the soldiers would be heading into their 40s and 50s right now. Why do people mention this all the time. "We trained them" as if it's this A team task force that's immortal and can live forever. Strange.

You could burn all the Bible's you wanted. Wouldn't phase me at all. The Light of the Word will never been burned away. Burning a Bible is something that most Christians I know would think is futile and childish. As if burning the Bible has any sort of impact on anything. There are billions of Bibles. We'll just go get another one.

:yes:

[/b]

Without it being their or their children's blood - never. But occasionally their are just reasons to begin a war. Afghanistan was one of those. The fact that their was no clearly defined mission on Bush OR Obama's part is what lead us to this point. Burning these books isn't something I would have done and frankly,it was stupid. But the fact remains that a lot of blood and treasure have been spent, a lot of good has been done and a single stupid, inappropriate incident has them ready to lynch as many troops as they can get their hands on.

Her attitude was ridiculous. She was incredulous that we couldn't see that of course they should kill because of a damn book being burned. You seem to be in agreement with her.

I think they're the people we're at war in Afghanistan with, and then. I'm not so sure lynching is the right word. If they needed extra motivation to fight this would have done it. Did we really not know that burning the Qu'ran would cause this ahead of time? You're reading more into Cherry's comments than I saw myself. If you're right, then no I don't agree with her sentiments, but logically yes, how could we expect anything else but? Especially in a war of occupation.

It's a shame Jacob Isom wasn't there, right?

Um the Afghan Soviet war happened in 1988 which means the soldiers would be heading into their 40s and 50s right now. Why do people mention this all the time. "We trained them" as if it's this A team task force that's immortal and can live forever. Strange.

You could burn all the Bible's you wanted. Wouldn't phase me at all. The Light of the Word will never been burned away. Burning a Bible is something that most Christians I know would think is futile and childish. As if burning the Bible has any sort of impact on anything. There are billions of Bibles. We'll just go get another one.

:yes:

The commanders in Afghanistan right now are the same men who fought as 20-year olds against the Soviets. And have you seen Stallone's biceps lately?

http://youtu.be/I0qeJqC5dFA

Yes like the bible it is only a book, paper and ink..... That's how I see all holy books..

I agree that these muslims are pushing to the extreme over book burning.. But how would you react if you saw a bunch of people stand and burn your bible? You may not want to kill or destroy.. But you would be upset right? Angry even? I am saying this because I have noticed yourself and others think that even if someone questions your faith it is like an attack or ambush... OS I can just imagine how you all would react if people were burning bibles.. eh? ...<--.. I think that is a fair statement to make..It called looking at it from the other side of the fence

But I still think that these Muslims wanting to bring death to America over a book burning that is absolutely disgraceful

I've made my feelings clear over the issue of Bible burning. I would be angry and sad for the ones who did it. But NEVER would it cross my mind to harm someone physically for such an offense. You seem to think otherwise, which is your right. And on the occasion I have mentioned an ambush it's because that's what it was. If you can look at the general discourse that happens between Christians and others here at UM and not see them roundly being either condescended to or insulted then nothing I say will make a difference to you. I am quite very able to have empathy for others. What these Muslims do is inexcusable. Period.

I think they're the people we're at war in Afghanistan with, and then. I'm not so sure lynching is the right word. If they needed extra motivation to fight this would have done it. Did we really not know that burning the Qu'ran would cause this ahead of time? You're reading more into Cherry's comments than I saw myself. If you're right, then no I don't agree with her sentiments, but logically yes, how could we expect anything else but? Especially in a war of occupation.

It's a shame Jacob Isom wasn't there, right?

Yes it was extremely stupid to burn the books. The story seems to be evolving from burning them to "destroy coded communication" to "they got placed in an incinerator pile by accident".

You can bet the ****e will definitely flow downhill on that one. Someone's head will be served up on a platter and probably should be. But only within the discipline of our military establishment.

. But NEVER would it cross my mind to harm someone physically for such an offense. You seem to think otherwise,

Take a look at the following quote that was made to you from myself.. below..

You may not want to kill or destroy.. But you would be upset right? Angry even?

Now in the above quote.. can you see anything ( anything at all ) that says you would want to hurt or kill anyone? It clearly shows i am not suggesting that at all..

And on the occasion I have mentioned an ambush it's because that's what it was.

I disagree with that, when people question beliefs it is not an ambush.. Christians, Pagans , Deists, Muslims, Atheists and so on all ask questions to people with different beliefs.. it is called learning how others feel and view things and why they do..

If you can look at the general discourse that happens between Christians and others here at UM

I have read them for 7 years now, I think I know how they all go by now

and not see them roundly being either condescended to or insulted

You are only viewing one side using a biased view..Both sides will question each other..and both own the rights to do so ..Now to the topic at hand.. I have questions for you if you don't mind.. See below

1 - You call the Quran just a book with ink on paper... Is your bible just the same, a book with ink on paper?

2 - How do you view your bible - Is it holy, special, Gods word, holds great meaning and full of guidance?

3 - So If you answer that your bible has special meaning... and it is most holy.. Then how do you think Muslims view their Quran?

Thanks ..Oh and bare in mind I am in no way trying to justify the Muslims actions and words about killing .. I still find it a disgrace ...and an extreme overreaction.. I can understand them feeling angry and upset.. but to use death threats is a bit too far..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Take a look at the following quote that was made to you from myself.. below..

Now in the above quote.. can you see anything ( anything at all ) that says you would want to hurt or kill anyone? It clearly shows i am not suggesting that at all..

I disagree with that, when people question beliefs it is not an ambush.. Christians, Pagans , Deists, Muslims, Atheists and so on all ask questions to people with different beliefs.. it is called learning how others feel and view things and why they do..

I have read them for 7 years now, I think I know how they all go by now

You are only viewing one side using a biased view..Both sides will question each other..and both own the rights to do so ..Now to the topic at hand.. I have questions for you if you don't mind.. See below

1 - You call the Quran just a book with ink on paper... Is your bible just the same, a book with ink on paper?

2 - How do you view your bible - Is it holy, special, Gods word, holds great meaning and full of guidance?

3 - So If you answer that your bible has special meaning... and it is most holy.. Then how do you think Muslims view their Quran?

Thanks ..Oh and bare in mind I am in no way trying to justify the Muslims actions and words about killing .. I still find it a disgrace ...and an extreme overreaction.. I can understand them feeling angry and upset.. but to use death threats is a bit too far..

The Bible in my opinion is a record of God's word. Made of ink on paper. There is nothing inherently holy about the object, it is the meaning that it conveys that is holy. Apparently Muslims view the OBJECT as sacred and their views give them no right to impose them on every creature on earth. If a US service person burned the book with the intent of insulting these people it would be deplorable. But it seems to have been an unintentional act.

And BM they have done far more than issue death threats. In a week 40 human beings have DIED through riots and violence because of their devotion to this object. And if you have read these differing opinions for 7 years and "think you know how they all go now", then perhaps that's part of the problem? That you've become accustomed to the condescension even if you don't regularly take part in it?

And you'll have to excuse me if I haven't learned how to take a two or three paragraph statement and dissect it like a lawyer. I respond to things that were written and I have a reasonably good ability to read for context. If I made a mistake in your case then please accept my apologies.

The Bible in my opinion is a record of God's word. Made of ink on paper. There is nothing inherently holy about the object, it is the meaning that it conveys that is holy. Apparently Muslims view the OBJECT as sacred and their views give them no right to impose them on every creature on earth. If a US service person burned the book with the intent of insulting these people it would be deplorable. But it seems to have been an unintentional act.

And BM they have done far more than issue death threats. In a week 40 human beings have DIED through riots and violence because of their devotion to this object. And if you have read these differing opinions for 7 years and "think you know how they all go now", then perhaps that's part of the problem? That you've become accustomed to the condescension even if you don't regularly take part in it?

And you'll have to excuse me if I haven't learned how to take a two or three paragraph statement and dissect it like a lawyer. I respond to things that were written and I have a reasonably good ability to read for context. If I made a mistake in your case then please accept my apologies.

Agreed. The actual burning of a Bible would not upset people. As much as the deliberate intention to try to upset people. That would be viewed as bullying and intolerance. Isn't it odd how many anti Christians equate a Christian being angry and rude, to outright murder and terrorism. As if these are equally wrong. I don't get it. :wacko:

The Bible in my opinion is a record of God's word. Made of ink on paper. There is nothing inherently holy about the object,

But it is to you Gods word.. You need the object to learn it right? If by burning it is like burning Gods word to those of you that follow it ...right?/ So the book therefore means a lot to you all that follow it and live by it.... right?

Apparently Muslims view the OBJECT as sacred

Their object contains the same as what your object contains Gods word.. and to them that is sacred.. No different from a bible believing Christians ....or in your case as you now like to address it as - An object believing Christian ? Because as you say the bible is just an object.. you made it sound like it meant northing...I say if the object contains Gods word, then to the Christian that object is no longer a mere object.. it means something

and their views give them no right to impose them on every creature on earth

So Christians are the only ones that own that right? When they like to try and convert others? ( meaning those that care to) I see... lol

And BM they have done far more than issue death threats. In a week 40 human beings have DIED through riots and violence because of their devotion to this object.

I know that.. I am not questioning this at all...

if you have read these differing opinions for 7 years and "think you know how they all go now", then perhaps that's part of the problem?

For 7 years I have seen both sides question each other.. It is not always about slamming.. Most times it is to create a conversation and learn more.. Being paranoid over being asked questions only makes things worse for that person...

I think when you get a bit more used to it all, you might not feel the same as you do at present? Meaning you might just think of it as nothing to get annoyed over... Always remember, people on here will ask questions and it does not matter what the belief is based on, it will get questioned.. People like to hear what others feel and so on... It is the point of many discussions ..

Would they consider it right to burn some of the major magical and Pagan texts?

If Islam had never been invented imagine what wonders we'd have today?

What i want to burn is no business of anyone but myself, i personally believe Islam was invented by a 40 year old guy starting a protection racket so the Quran as no more relevance to me than Harry Potter, as already said Muslims destroy the Quran every week, blow up mosques, they've fought over Mecca many times and destroyed it they've even smashed the black stone, to tell the truth i don't believe a single word they say.

Again, it is the radicals and extremists. Looking for any excuse to kill. I know some Muslims and they are peaceable people, very peaceable people with a growing fear that the extremists actions are making all Muslims seem like murderous haters of everyone.

No one should throw any holy book in a bin or burn it. But sometimes people forget that such actions will set the extremists on fire and come and consume all in their path. I also think that no matter who disposed of the books they should know by now the consequences of leaving such traces behind does turn deadly. It's happened before. When will people learn that what seems irrelevant in one country is deadly in another.

If Islam had never been invented imagine what wonders we'd have today?

If Islam and Christianity had never been invented imagine what wonders we'd have today?

If Islam and Christianity had never been invented imagine what wonders we'd have today?

You could well be right, this is a "Muslim" thread so a na, na, na, na, Christians did it as well is lost on me, and if it's true they'll get the same lambasting as Muslims when i'm on a thread that's relevant,Muslims have destroyed much, what do you have on the Christians then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDx6DEgQMIM&feature=related

Edited by hetrodoxly

If The Bible isn't inherently holy, what is, and why?

The Holy Spirit

And where is The Holy Spirit at? How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself?

The Holy Spirit

Since you're just jumping in, should I presume that you don't think the Bible is inherently holy too?

Why would the Bible be inherently holy unless it was the last one in existence. Or one of the last. There are millions of Bibles and Korans. Neither are inherently holy.

If The Bible isn't inherently holy, what is, and why?

They are known as - The Holy Bible.. And The Holy Quran ....Both religions will treasure them as holy and both holy books mean a lot to those that follow them..... Kind of like how IE the American flag means a lot to the Americans.. burn it and it is an insult right? Same if you burn a bible or a quran.. Only difference is.. The Christians will not issue death treats or kill you for it..

Why would the Bible be inherently holy unless it was the last one in existence. Or one of the last. There are millions of Bibles and Korans. Neither are inherently holy.

Objects are holy in Christianity. It's called 'The Holy Bible' by the way. The fact that it's made out of paper and binding and glue doesn't de-Holify it if that's what you were thinking.

You did claim that the Holy Spirit is holy. So again, where is the Holy Spirit at? How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself?

They are known as - The Holy Bible.. And The Holy Quran ....Both religions will treasure them as holy and both holy books mean a lot to those that follow them..... Kind of like how IE the American flag means a lot to the Americans.. burn it and it is an insult right? Same if you burn a bible or a quran.. Only difference is.. The Christians will not issue death treats or kill you for it..

Actually if we're going to generalize, the Christians will kill people for just about any reason you can think of actually. Are you a "suspect"? Look out below! So why is it that religion is never a just pretense for killing, but government is?