Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A vampire who fed on dinosaur blood?

Still Waters

Prepare to be confronted with something scarier (and cuter) than Jurassic Park's raptors. In the mid to late Jurassic, the world was full of furry, flying vampire pterosaurs who fed on dino blood.

The Jeholopterus was a small pterosaur who was found in Northeastern China. Though originally identified as an insect-eater, an odd mystery about the animal eventually led one researcher to suggest the creature was actually feeding on the blood of nearby sauropods.Let's take a look at the discovery of Jeholopterus, and what spurred great debate over whether it was a blood-sucker.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simbi Laveau

• trancelikestate

• spud the mackem

I guess the guy who thought the vampire scene has a vivid imagination loads of predators have fang like teeth,but it doesnt make them vampires.with "lock on" teeth it sounds like a flying Pitbull Terrier ,Chinese style.

Precursor of the Vampire Bat by the looks of it - I don't see why it would be improbable, mosquitos, leeches and bats drink blood today after all.

Precursor of the Vampire Bat by the looks of it - I don't see why it would be improbable, mosquitos, leeches and bats drink blood today after all.

You left money lenders out of that list ? :huh: Yeah, I think it sounds like an analogy to the Vampire Bat, it is a well established principle in biology that evolution pushes sometimes quite different creatures into a very similar ways of 'making a living'. Funny though, that the marsupials produced the Kangaroo and its extraordinary ( and very efficient) means of getting around, and the mammals and reptiles, seemingly did not replicate it.

I wonder if it sparkled

LOL Now that is scary...

David Peters, the individual who came up with the vampire hypothesis, is not a paleontologist. He is an artist whose wild "theories" on pterosaurs are laughed at by pretty much all serious experts on pterosaurs. Look this guy up, he's a nut!

• 1 month later...

I wonder if it's related to the vampire bat? Or actual vampires (not the sissies that sparkle)

I suppose anything is possible. We can look at fossils and to some degree of accuracy, give an assumption, but we will never know all there is to know because we dont really have anything to compare dinosaurs with today, other than perhaps birds..

This guy might well be a 'nut' as another poster suggested, but who is to say he isnt right?

Paleantologists are forever coming up with new information which quite often debunks previous assessments and rewrites the books. :)

I wonder if it sparkled

only in the sunlight.....but not in part 4 during the honeymoon on the tropical island,for some odd reason.

Interesting read,but I too am dubious to its vampire label.Hard to prove.