Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA 'killed more than 95% of dogs and cats

Still Waters

PETA is the most hypocritical, abusive, insane group on the planet. I want to severely shake anyone who supports them.

If I know of any, I'll send them your way lol tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I noticed about Nevada having the no kill shelters.....Lived there for most of my life, and new about that.If they can do it, all States should be able to.

There are a few here on the Oregon coast that I know of.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble about no kill shelters, but...no kill shelters actually transfer the animal to a kill shelter when they are not adopted after a certain amount of time. Some are put down immediately because they are too dangerous to adopt out. They can't care for them indefinitely and would shortly run out of room if not. I know this for a fact, because we do a lot of work for the local humane society that does euthanize no kill shelter's animals.

"PETA is the most hypocritical, abusive, insane group on the planet. I want to severely shake anyone who supports them."

I totally agree with this statement.

Edited by Michelle

This all sounds good to me.

Sure it SOUNDS good... but really think about all that would mean... really really think about it.

Sure it SOUNDS good... but really think about all that would mean... really really think about it.

Try as you might you'll never introduce logic to these kind of folks.

PETA doesn't care who or what they hurt to get their ideas out. I don't like how they believe that we should not eat meat and not have pets-and expect everyone to do as they say. Who the HELL do they think they are to tell me that I can't eat meat? Not that I shouldn't...I CAN'T :blink:

Yes, I have 'really really' thought about it ...... for 40+ years.

That's an awful lot of animals to find GOOD homes for. The alternative is that they stay in the PETA shelters, but what sort of a life is that? No individual attention, no daily walks(other than in an exerise paddock), living in cages.

I think it would be more constructive, instead of knocking PETA, to work towards much tighter laws on pet owning and much tougher penalties for not taking care of pets ...... never mind being actively cruel to them.

I'm bumping this because no-one here has come up with an alternative to PETA's solutions to the masses of homeless animals.

PETA doesn't care who or what they hurt to get their ideas out. I don't like how they believe that we should not eat meat and not have pets-and expect everyone to do as they say. Who the HELL do they think they are to tell me that I can't eat meat? Not that I shouldn't...I CAN'T :blink:

But they can't MAKE you behave as they would like you to behave, so why are you getting so excited about it? Surely they are as entitled as you are to express their beliefs?

I'm bumping this because no-one here has come up with an alternative to PETA's solutions to the masses of homeless animals.

Their solution is to kill people's pets instead of letting them be "enslaved". So you approve of them killing 95% of the dogs and cats they confiscate for "rescue"?

They are no better than any other rescue that they rail against on a regular basis. I fully understand the implications of taking in animals that are no longer wanted because my Mother and I did it for years and years. I am proud to say that we never put one down in good physical condition. We either kept it, found it a home or didn't take in other animals we didn't have the facilities for. We never took one in on the guise that we would ensure it's safety and well being...then put down a perfectly healthy animal.

THAT is the difference between PETA and other organizations.

Have you ever even done any research on the idiotic, cruel things they do? Let me help get you started...

http://www.thisistrue.com/peta.html

Be sure and read all of the comments after the story. They will also enlighten you.

Edited by Michelle

Their solution is to kill people's pets instead of letting them be "enslaved". So you approve of them killing 95% of the dogs and cats they confiscate for "rescue"?

They are no better than any other rescue that they rail against on a regular basis. I fully understand the implications of taking in animals that are no longer wanted because my Mother and I did it for years and years. I am proud to say that we never put one down in good physical condition. We either kept it, found it a home or didn't take in other animals we didn't have the facilities for. We never took one in on the guise that we would ensure it's safety and well being...then put down a perfectly healthy animal.

THAT is the difference between PETA and other organizations.

Have you ever even done any research on the idiotic, cruel things they do? Let me help get you started...

Be sure and read all of the comments after the story. They will also enlighten you.

Are you saying that there are GOOD,KNOWLEDGEABLE homes for ALL the animals that are rescued each year?

Are you saying that there are GOOD,KNOWLEDGEABLE homes for ALL the animals that are rescued each year?

No, but when they claim people shouldn't even be eating dairy products, for whatever stupid reason, then have the gall to put down perfectly adoptable animals without even trying to find them a home is beyond hypocrisy.

Did you read the link?

Edited by Michelle

And let me tell you a story about a PETA and ALF (ALF and ELF, who are both staunchly supported by PETA financially) related ASSAULT I witnessed first hand!

I was at an exotic bird show, as a participant and a breeder. The national group I belonged to both educated people about exotic birds, ensured the public was able to see them up close, and we did a lot of save many varieties from being exterminated for going extinct as well as doing what we could to help save the environment these birds live in in the wild.

Our show was protested by PETA. Not a big deal really... they just drew us more attention, and we could by in large ignore them and so could the visitors to the show. It wasn't anything we hadn't seen before. Late on a Sunday night when teh show was over, I was helping a woman who was in her 80s, a zoologist, who had a VERY rare bird, a Leadbeaters Cockatoo, these birds can only be kept under strict federal guidelines, and her main goal was breeding them to strenghten their numbers in the wild. The intention was for off-spring to be released back into their native habitat.

We were out by her car, I was helping her load a carrier into her car, when out of nowhere two men, and possibly one woman (it was hard to tell) came rushing up, dressed in black with their faces covered and screamed they were from the ALF (a PETA sponsored terrorist organization identified as a terrorist organization by the FBI) physically assaulted this little old lady, grabbed her VERY rare and very special cockatoo and let it go free. Where it flew into traffic and was promptly struck and killed by a car. I witnessed this all in front of my very little eyes. The trio who assaulted her and killed an important animal took off into the dark and were never caught.

PETA supports these terrorists groups without much shame. Terrorists groups who have killed thousands of animals, and harmed and killed a number of humans. PETA hates both humans and animals. They really do.

BTW, I was raised a vegan from 1967 to 1985... it's not a healthy diet.

No, but when they claim people shouldn't even be eating dairy products, for whatever stupid reason, then have the gall to put down perfectly adoptable animals without even trying to find them a home is beyond hypocrisy.

Did you read the link?

I don't understand what you're implying. The production of dairy products demands that the animals involved live very unnatural and miserable lives(to put it mildly) ...... how is this a 'stupid reason' to give up eating dairy products if you are genuinely concerned about the welfare of animals? How do you know the animals that are put down are 'perfectly adoptable'? A large number of rescued animals will be incurably ill and suffering; too old to be wanted by anyone looking to take a rescued animal in; badly scarred mentally and therefore vicious; have neurotic behavoural problems.

You also have to be aware that some misguided shelters will give out animals to anyone who asks for one. This may make their rehomimg statistics look good, but it means that an animal may be repeatedly returned to the shelter or worse, just turned loose on the streets because of the unsuitability of the home it was sent to.

Yes, I have read the link and will comment in a seperate post.

I don't understand what you're implying. The production of dairy products demands that the animals involved live very unnatural and miserable lives(to put it mildly) ...... how is this a 'stupid reason' to give up eating dairy products if you are genuinely concerned about the welfare of animals? How do you know the animals that are put down are 'perfectly adoptable'? A large number of rescued animals will be incurably ill and suffering; too old to be wanted by anyone looking to take a rescued animal in; badly scarred mentally and therefore vicious; have neurotic behavoural problems.

You also have to be aware that some misguided shelters will give out animals to anyone who asks for one. This may make their rehomimg statistics look good, but it means that an animal may be repeatedly returned to the shelter or worse, just turned loose on the streets because of the unsuitability of the home it was sent to.

Yes, I have read the link and will comment in a seperate post.

I live in cow country and know how the majority of milk cows are treated. I would entrust them to the farmers before I would trust them to PETA. That is their livelihood and unhappy cows don't produce quality milk.

'sigh' As for the rest, my specialty is rescuing large dogs that have been severely abused and rehabilitating them. There are many reputable organizations and rescuers that will allow you to return animals that don't work out well with your family. I have heard first hand accounts of perfectly adoptable animals being put down by PETA.

If you can't understand how inept PETA is I'm not going to waste any more of my time.

Michele is absolutely correct... unhappy cows don't produce milk. I live in diary cow country too... and have toured several large dairy farms (Carnation, Dairygold, Wilcox). They're SUPER clean, the cattle are field grazed, they're milked humanely. I don't see much of a problem with it (I don't even drink milk actually or eat much dairy at all. save some dry cheeses... all those years I was raised a vegan weakened my immune system and constant antibiotics from those days destroyed my ability to digest milk more or less)

if you ask me, after seeing a few diary farms in action, looks like those cows have a pretty cushy life to me.

Michele is absolutely correct... unhappy cows don't produce milk. I live in diary cow country too... and have toured several large dairy farms (Carnation, Dairygold, Wilcox). They're SUPER clean, the cattle are field grazed, they're milked humanely. I don't see much of a problem with it (I don't even drink milk actually or eat much dairy at all. save some dry cheeses... all those years I was raised a vegan weakened my immune system and constant antibiotics from those days destroyed my ability to digest milk more or less)

if you ask me, after seeing a few diary farms in action, looks like those cows have a pretty cushy life to me.

No kidding! They graze in the fields all day, brought in twice a day for milking and fed oats during the milking in a lot of them. They don't even seem to notice they are being milked. Have you ever heard of bag balm? It's what they put on the cow udders if they get slightly chapped. That sounds like a little lovin' to me.

I can't do without me cheese...don't even thing about taking it away from me. :gun:

Edited by Michelle

Firstly, just because a person calls their website 'This Is True' it doesn't mean that everything in it is true, although I do realise that there are many people who do not have enquiring minds who WILL accept it all as gospel.

I'll work my way down the page: 'An autopsy performed on one of the dogs found it was healthy before it was killed'; the state of it's mental health would not, of course, be detectable .... maybe it was vicious or had extreme behavoural problems?

Quote allegedly from PETA 'That for some animals in N.Carolina, there is no kinder option than euthanasia' ..... not sure why the author defines this as 'playing God' in such a sarcastic manner; God, after all is not solving the problem, he's left it to the humans to sort the problem out. I bet there are plenty of humans in N.Carolina who long to be euthanased.I am NOT being flippant here; now that the human race is so adept at prolonging life almost indefinitely, it's really got to get over it's squeamishness about actively ending life.

The author of the site claims that PETA funds terrorism ..... that is one heck of an accusation to make and she certainly doesn't provide ANY proof.

'Killing them(animals) while they(2 PETA employees) drive around': a very emotive sentence certainly, but again where is the proof? It appears to be the author embellishing a quote from a newspaper article to suit her own sensational ends.

It's mentioned that PETA killed 25,000 animals in a year .... yes, that is a shocking figure but not nearly as shocking as the figure of 4-6 MILLION that are put down in total per year in the whole of the US. PETA is involved in the deaths of a small proportion of the total(something like half of one percent?). But I also query the figure of '4-6 million' ...... that's an alarmingly loose, give-or-take-a-couple-of-million estimate. Don't the shelters have to keep records of the animals they kill?

Moving on to the comments left after the main 'article': Roberta of California quite rightly asks penetrating questions about the content ...... the author chooses not to reply. Chris of New York City makes some good points too.

To sum up: the link you posted doesn't bear close scrutiny and questioning. The author is sensational at the expense of logic and facts.

And just to put the cat among the pigeons: I am at a loss to know why it matters what happens to a dead body; cremated, buried, thrown in a dumpster ..... I would have thought the overiding priority would be the Health & Safety issues only. Let's concern ourselves with the welfare of LIVE animals.

I can quite understand why PETA feels the need to refer to fish as 'sea-kittens' in the hope of getting them the consideration they deserve. The majority of people who refer to themselves as 'animal lovers' simply mean that they 'love' the cute, cuddly animal that is 'theirs' ...... all other life forms can go hang.

As I said, that was just a starting point, ouija. I'm not going to give you multiple links for you to critique. If you are truly interested in what is best for animals do your own research on PETA.

• Like 1

That's horrifying Miss, just.. ugh. I weep for you, that little old lady, and most of all that poor bird. I weep for the ignorance that killed that bird and killed the future chances for offspring. I have to imagine that even if it wouldn't have been struck by a vehicle it would have starved to death on the city streets with no caretaker.

And Michelle.. BOO-YA to you for rescuing and helping pups!!

I don't like PETA. Sure, some of their ideals sound good on the surface, but the way they go about it just strikes me as dead wrong. The notion that it's better to kill an animal instead of adopting it out to someone that can really love it- not only good for the animal, but sometimes can be a lifesaver to the human too. No, not every animal is adoptable, but surely more than 5% are adoptable. And I gotta say, if PETA thinks that putting them down is indeed better than letting them live.. Why don't they take care of the corpses in their own dumpsters instead of throwing them in other peoples dumpsters? Most often IMO people that use other peoples dumpsters know darn well they are doing something wrong otherwise they would be using their own dumpsters. Their ads are gross- and I will stop that rant right there.

Instead of supporting a group like PETA, we support local shelters. Here in the midwest we support a shelter that also is a community outreach group to educate people how to properly care for animals and helps people that are struggling to keep up with tending their pets like helping pay for shots and medical treatments. In CA where the business partner is, we support a horse sanctuary that tends to retired horses. When I go to the pet store for supplies, my change goes into the pot for the local animal cause, and the pet store is one of the few places I use cash just so that I have change to toss into the bucket. I save my paw points from litter and turn them in for ASPCA donations.

All of our foos are rescues too. Pooks as a kitten- he wasn't wanted because he was black. Ocelot and Marbles were littermates that grew up with each other and I couldn't stand to see them separated after having each other their whole life so I adopted them both. Moon and her sister were saved from a garage- I kept Moon and her sister went to my sister. She's also rescued 3 other cats and two whippits that were "unsellable" because though they were purebread, they were deemed not worthy for showing and would have been put down.

Bing, my meow I had to put down because he was so ill, was a farm rescue. Argent, an adult I rescued to companion Pooks after I lost Bing ended up not being my cat, but my other sisters cat. He literally saved her life. If not for having to take care of him and taking solace from him when she had some desperately hard times, she would be gone now. Part of her sorrow was losing a pair of meows no one wanted but her, and she raised them but she had to give up to her ex when they split. Blackfoot I rescued from a field outside a faire and I found him a good home with a guy I knew. Trouble went to him too after her original owners were going to put her down and I said let me try to get her to where she will be happy. And lol, Pooks loves me, but my hubby is his person- I had no idea my love was Pooks people since I had him for years before meeting my hubby. I seem to have a gift for finding cats that aren't mine, but rather other peoples cats.. Or really I hook up cats with their people :)

In all the animal happy I just listed.. If PETA had their way, approximately 14 of those 15 pets would have been killed instead of having a full life of loving and being loved. I just can't hang with that.

And lol, I too am from milk moo country.. And yep, happy cows make for happy milk. Happy for human drinking, sure.. But also happy milk for calves.

That's horrifying Miss, just.. ugh. I weep for you, that little old lady, and most of all that poor bird. I weep for the ignorance that killed that bird and killed the future chances for offspring. I have to imagine that even if it wouldn't have been struck by a vehicle it would have starved to death on the city streets with no caretaker.

And Michelle.. BOO-YA to you for rescuing and helping pups!!

It was a devistating thing for me to see to be honest. This sweet giant hearted lady, who was doing so much for the native population of this parrot species was essentially beat up, and the bird that she loved and needed for a very specific reason was murdered by these people who ARE associated with a KNOWN terrorist group (ALF). If those morons at PETA and ALF had actually cared about people or animals, they would not have attacked a little old lady at night, and set a bird free at NIGHT. Parrots are NOT nocternal! They don't see at night very well! They see about as well as we do. This was also a bird that was reared in a private aviary setting who had no experience with traffic or the dangers of the outside world.

I was well shaken up by this little event. Mostly, prior to this vicious attack (in roughly 1992) I thought PETA were just a bunch of paint throwing goofballs. Now, I know better. They're evil, they're sadistic, and VIOLENT. They do NOT care about people or animals... their agenda is a vegan diet, god only knows why they care what other people eat... they don't care about the animals or people, that's for SURE. So I'm not sure why veganism is so important to them.

As I said, that was just a starting point, ouija. I'm not going to give you multiple links for you to critique. If you are truly interested in what is best for animals do your own research on PETA.

Hmmm ....... if you really feel strongly that PETA is bad, why did you suggest a link to such a weak article? I could find nothing against PETA in it. I'm certainly not going to waste time looking for more damning articles ...... there's been nothing in this entire topic/thread that has made me think PETA is any worse than any other animal-welfare group.

god only knows why they care what other people eat

They care what other people eat because they care about the treatment of animals that are given life solely to be eventually eaten by humans. The fact is, the vast majority of animals that are bred for food have short, miserable, unnatural lives. A lot of 'pets' also have miserable lives, lived entirely on the terms and whims of their 'owners'.

I, of course, could say exactly the same thing about you! It's called having an opinion ... anyone with an opposing view to yours could, on a shallow level, be referred to as 'illogical'. (I notice this was your only contribution to the debate).

BTW, I was raised a vegan from 1967 to 1985... it's not a healthy diet.

If you were being completely honest, all you can really say is that a vegan diet did not suit YOU; you cannot presume to speak for all vegans.