Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA 'killed more than 95% of dogs and cats

Still Waters

I may be incorrect here, but I've heard rumours that PETA considers keeping an animal as a pet to be a sort of 'slavery' and therefore sees fit to kill companion animals (ie, dogs and cats) rather than have them 'enslaved' to humans.

This is very true. You can check their site. You have to read deeper into it, but things they believe will shock you.
  • Like 1

Their stupidity knows no bounds! I've spent my life rescuing animals and I dearly hate PETA!

PETA's power of empathy is more highly developed than your average person's.

I thought about filing you away under poe, but something tells me you half way believe what you're saying is true. Either way, bravo.

They care what other people eat because they care about the treatment of animals that are given life solely to be eventually eaten by humans. The fact is, the vast majority of animals that are bred for food have short, miserable, unnatural lives. A lot of 'pets' also have miserable lives, lived entirely on the terms and whims of their 'owners'.

If not on the terms of their owners, they could be hit by a car. You seem to confuse "slavery" with caring for.

It would be nice if that empathy included humankind.

Well ..... this is a load of nonsense! The Leadbeaters Cockatoo is very definitely NOT a 'VERY rare bird'(it's not even a rare bird), so the mention of breeding to release into the wild thus strengthening numbers in there makes no sense. I looked on a site that actually CARES about the welfare of birds and discovered that the Leadbeaters Cockatoo has a lifespan of 80yrs(plenty of time to reproduce and ensure your numbers keep going up!), is a native of Australia and is very definitely NOT rare. This is what the site has to say about 'Pet Potential':'one of the less suitable cockatoos as a pet, very cuddly as babies, becoming quite dominant as they age. A lot of time and effort is required to keep them tame and happy.'

You 'witnessed this all in front of my very little eyes' ...... hmmm, not so little, you were 25 in 1992! I'm calling BS on your entire 'story' ..... you're a troll.

Neither PETA nor ALF have killed anyone, and no animal apart from those that are better off dead.

Be aware that your country's hysterical, knee-jerk, reactive list of 'terrorist groups' bears no resemblence to lists in other countries. The US seems to put anyone on their list who speaks up about injustices. Neither PETA nor ALF are considered terrorist organisations anywhere other than the US.

Now it's my turn to cry fowl (pun intended). Leave it to PETA to read an animals mind. I bet most humans in prison choose life over death.

I have 15 chickens. I keep them in a coop. They gbet let out to free range at least every other day. They have names and receive lots of attention from my wife and daughters as well as myself. Peta tells me that i am evil for eating their eggs. Peta is evil.

• Like 1

I've devoted my life to rescuing animals and have never put down, or "set free" an adoptable animal. Do you actually think it is humane to set an animal free that has no idea how to feed itself? To let it die a slow death of starvation? Or better yet become food because they have no idea of a prey animal?

You are as clueless as they are! I can't even express how disgusted I am at the ignorance!

But don't come down off your superiority complex over us Americans!

Edited by Michelle

I have 15 chickens. I keep them in a coop. They gbet let out to free range at least every other day. They have names and receive lots of attention from my wife and daughters as well as myself. Peta tells me that i am evil for eating their eggs. Peta is evil.

You remind me of my neighbor... He keeps chicken too..He lets them out every so brave and often...There is one in particular that sees to give him a bit of trouble... When I moved here over a year ago..I used to hear him chant - JUKES... GET AWAY FROM THAT JUKES.. ( stuff like that ) and I always thought he was talking to a pet dog ... Turns out it is a disobedient chicken by the name of JUKES lol :P ... He leaves his kitchen door open for Jukes to wander around too...He attends to his chickens twice a day...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I've devoted my life to rescuing animals and have never put down, or "set free" an adoptable animal. Do you actually think it is humane to set an animal free that has no idea how to feed itself? To let it die a slow death of starvation? Or better yet become food because they have no idea of a prey animal?

Any time I watched an animal rescue programme...They were like you in that respect... If they found an injured animal OR one that was left abandoned ...they took it in...Fed it until it was well...Re-homes many and if the animal was wild? They would then make sure the animal was fit enough to go back into the wild again.. What you do Michelle is very similar to the pet rescue people ( RSPCA ) I agree that it would be most cruel to let an animal out to starve or become prey to a much more aggressive animal...I would feel guilty if I were to do that...

Did you know that there are more tigers kept as pets than there are tigers in the wild ? I think it is because of man always hunting the tigers...So people then must feel that if they keep the tigers as pets, it can prevent them becoming endangered... Sadly tigers are endangered..

Any time I watched an animal rescue programme...They were like you in that respect... If they found an injured animal OR one that was left abandoned ...they took it in...Fed it until it was well...Re-homes many and if the animal was wild? They would then make sure the animal was fit enough to go back into the wild again.. What you do Michelle is very similar to the pet rescue people ( RSPCA ) I agree that it would be most cruel to let an animal out to starve or become prey to a much more aggressive animal...I would feel guilty if I were to do that...

Did you know that there are more tigers kept as pets than there are tigers in the wild ? I think it is because of man always hunting the tigers...So people then must feel that if they keep the tigers as pets, it can prevent them becoming endangered... Sadly tigers are endangered..

Unfortunately, sometimes we end up caring for the animals for their entire life if we can't find a home for them. It's even more difficult if they have been badly abused. That means we can't take in any more because of lack of room and the expense. Everyone wants a puppy or a kitten, not one that is full gown, so it isn't easy to find them a home. I always follow up on their new family to make sure everything is going well. If, for some reason, it's not working out I will take them back.

I don't have any pets at the moment and I'm going to try and keep it like that for a while. We want to travel a bit more and I don't want to have to worry about them being taken care of.

It does break my heart over the tigers. They are such beautiful, magnificent creatures.

Edited by Michelle

Unfortunately, sometimes we end up caring for the animals for their entire life if we can't find a home for them. It's even more difficult if they have been badly abused. That means we can't take in any more because of lack of room and the expense. Everyone wants a puppy or a kitten, not one that is full gown, so it isn't easy to find them a home. I always follow up on their new family to make sure everything is going well. If, for some reason, it's not working out I will take them back.

Your previous post.. I read it for the first time late last night and I must say Michelle... It was one of the bravest, most admirable posts I have ever read from you in all the years I have been on UM... I could hear you take a stand for what you do for the animals and how strongly you felt... I tip my hat to you and people like you.. I recall thinking as I read your strong post - You go girl, take no crap and tell it how it is...! If I had of been the PETA supporter reading your post, I must admit, it would have put me in my place.. and trust me, I am hard to shift lol :D

I don't have any pets at the moment and I'm going to try and keep it like that for a while. We want to travel a bit more and I don't want to have to worry about them being taken care of

You earned that right too... If you spent a lot of your time and effort into helping animals.. Then there is your own time you also need.. So travelling and doing what you like other than animals is a given for you... Sometimes people need a break...

It does break my heart over the tigers. They are such beautiful, magnificent creatures.

I found that info out about tigers kept more as pets from my daughters - Adopt a tiger magazine.. I allowed her to donate £3 a month to adopt a tiger... She received a cuddly tiger toy and she gets an update on the tiger she adopts each month... When I read it, I thought - Surely that can't be right? But then again with the poachers about, I wouldn't need to doubt it further...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

This is something I feel very strongly about, BM, and I must admit it gets my dander up. I work closely with a lot of animal rescues and I don't know a single one that supports PETA. Anyone that supports them are completely ignorant of what they actually do or has no real love for animals.

I don't know how long it will be before another animal in need finds me. I don't go out looking for them it's like they come looking for me. :lol:

How sweet Becky has adopted a tiger! Everyone could do a little bit more to for the animals on this planet. :tu:

Edited by Michelle

Do you know if zoos (both big and small) are factored in at all?

You remind me of my neighbor... He keeps chicken too..He lets them out every so brave and often...There is one in particular that sees to give him a bit of trouble... When I moved here over a year ago..I used to hear him chant - JUKES... GET AWAY FROM THAT JUKES.. ( stuff like that ) and I always thought he was talking to a pet dog ... Turns out it is a disobedient chicken by the name of JUKES lol :P ... He leaves his kitchen door open for Jukes to wander around too...He attends to his chickens twice a day...

He lets a chicken wander around his kitchen? Yuck. They poop allot.

My daughters and wife will pick them up and pet them from time to time. They develope personalities to a point. But they are extremely dumb.

I've struggled with what to do with a rooster if they become to aggressive. I had one which was a Polish rooster. Very cool looking with what looked like a wig on his head. He was black, white and green. He got too possessive. I had to get rid of him. I didn't want to kill him, but I couldn't keep him (I do have 6-7 of his offspring). I drove 4 miles south and dropped him off in front of a farmhouse. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. It came down to life or death for him. I chose to at least give him a shot at life.

This is something I feel very strongly about, BM, and I must admit it gets my dander up. I work closely with a lot of animal rescues and I don't know a single one that supports PETA. Anyone that supports them are completely ignorant of what they actually do or has no real love for animals.

When we feel so very strongly for certain things in life that touch us ..If others say or do anything that goes against what we fight hard to support? We can at times feel frustration, and we may well unleash hell on to those, just so we can take a stand and say - "Listen up, this is how it is, deal with it or bugger off, I have no time for fannying about..This is my cause and I stand firm with it, if you don't like it, tough...!!"... I have taken that kind of attitude from time to time.. It is natural for anyone who feels strongly to take that stand and stand firm with it...

I don't know how long it will be before another animal in need finds me. I don't go out looking for them it's like they come looking for me. :lol:

Ha ha true enough, they may find you...the dogs have the word on the streets lol...... I remember my dad telling me years ago, that dogs ( for example ) can sense if a person will harm it or sense if a person will take good care of it.. He said a dog can sense if you are an animal lover or not... I think what my dad said was true...Dogs never would come near my mother, but they would have come near me or my dad easy...

How sweet Becky has adopted a tiger! Everyone could do a little bit more to for the animals on this planet. :tu:

It was when she watched a TV advertisement for endangered tigers.. She asked me what endangered meant? I explained it all to her, and then she begged me if she could adopt a tiger for just £3 a month? I arranged it for her.. .She was a tad annoyed because she thought that if she gets to adopt one, it can stay in her back garden I had to explain how it all works...She seems happy enough...

I done the same approx five years ago.. it was for the National Dogs Trust... I donate £4 per month and I receive notification on the dogs I sponsor... I also get a copy of their magazine - WAG every so often...Thing about their magazine you receive is - I think it is written for kids more so than adults lol ... When I set up the donations for the dogs trust..and got my copy sent out of WAG.. I read it and it does publish them more for kids to read...it was a bit funny..but I kept it anyway and still get them...

All these animal charities are usually all advertised more so on the kids TV channels.. ( why Becky began to harp on to adopt a tiger ) During each cartoon commercial break..on will come a charity for animals looking you to adopt some animal...If their agenda is to get the kids to take more interest, knowing the kids will harp on to adopt one... then it is good thinking.. Because it gets kids more involved and allows kids to hold more of a compassionate understanding !

Do you know if zoos (both big and small) are factored in at all?

Sorry I don't know, the info I read from my daughters monthly tiger magazine, only printed a fact sheet for kids to learn facts about the tigers they adopt.. It just read - Did you know that more tigers are kept as pets, than in the wild? That is al lit said...I wish I could tell you more..!

He lets a chicken wander around his kitchen? Yuck. They poop allot.

My daughters and wife will pick them up and pet them from time to time. They develope personalities to a point. But they are extremely dumb.

I've struggled with what to do with a rooster if they become to aggressive. I had one which was a Polish rooster. Very cool looking with what looked like a wig on his head. He was black, white and green. He got too possessive. I had to get rid of him. I didn't want to kill him, but I couldn't keep him (I do have 6-7 of his offspring). I drove 4 miles south and dropped him off in front of a farmhouse. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. It came down to life or death for him. I chose to at least give him a shot at life.

I know nothing about chickens to be honest... My mother would know more, she was raised on a farm... ... What you did for the rooster was still a lot better than just dumping him in the middle of nowhere...or killing him for the sake of it ... At least he would have a shot at living... Sometimes even animal lovers have to give the odd animal away they know they cannot keep...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Sorry I don't know, the info I read from my daughters monthly tiger magazine, only printed a fact sheet for kids to learn facts about the tigers they adopt.. It just read - Did you know that more tigers are kept as pets, than in the wild? That is al lit said...I wish I could tell you more..!

I know nothing about chickens to be honest... My mother would kow more, she was raised on a farm... ... What you did for the rooster was still a lot better than just dumping him in the middle of nowhere...or killing him for the sake of it ... At least he would have a shot at living... Sometimes even animal lovers have to give the odd animal away they know they cannot keep...

No problem on the zoo question. Just thought I'd ask.

My decision came down to a play on John Lennon - Give life a chance.

One other dillema I have had in recent months is killing raccoons. I had a couple chickens killed by a raccoon. I bought a cage/trap. I caught the booger. I then had to shoot it and bury it. I've done that with 3 raccoons so far. There isn't any choice but to kill them. I've never been a hunting type of guy, so it weighs on me.

Ha ha true enough, they may find you...the dogs have the word on the streets lol...... I remember my dad telling me years ago, that dogs ( for example ) can sense if a person will harm it or sense if a person will take good care of it.. He said a dog can sense if you are an animal lover or not... I think what my dad said was true...Dogs never would come near my mother, but they would have come near me or my dad easy...

I have to admit I'm feeling the pangs of being an empty nester right now. I miss the adoring eyes and the unconditional love. Not to mention how they look at me when I sing and dance around the house. I don't think any of them ever get that. :w00t:

One other dillema I have had in recent months is killing raccoons. I had a couple chickens killed by a raccoon. I bought a cage/trap. I caught the booger. I then had to shoot it and bury it. I've done that with 3 raccoons so far. There isn't any choice but to kill them. I've never been a hunting type of guy, so it weighs on me.

You could simply relocate raccoons. They aren't a problem for a lot of people. My sister loves them and has six that she leaves food out for every day. I used to have quite a few of them around here, but I don't know what happened to them. I'd be happy to have them around again. :tu:

Edited by Michelle

My mother is a massive fan of John Lennon..and on her dad's side of the family, they are related to John Lennon...not my mother of course, just her dad who is related to John Lennon's dad ( cousins ) ...But the irony in ref to my mother being a fan of John Lennon is.. she would have killed a few animals in her hay day on their farm if she was told to, and she never lost sleep over it..and yet she loved Lennon's music...!!...I don't ever say anything to her about that, as she doesn't tell us why or what went down in those days...Dogs however got the run of the house though.. she explained how when her dad would come home from a days work, the dogs would be with him, she and her sisters had to get up and let the dogs take their seats at home. Sometimes the dogs got the best of the food too.....She dared not protest it either..!

I have to admit I'm feeling the pangs of being an empty nester right now. I miss the adoring eyes and the unconditional love. Not to mention how they look at me when I sing and dance around the house. I don't think any of them ever get that. :w00t:

Ha ha, if only the dogs could talk eh Michelle? I picture them getting on line to post up some crazy video titled - Can anyone tell me what my owner is doing?.....I think some dogs do get it..they just like to give you that look for fun lol... I have seen some dogs get up and sing along to their owners playing on a piano...Some dogs like to attempt the dancing

My dad owned a dalmatian who loved to get up and play fight my dad - Boxing..He stood on his hind legs boxing my dad... I used to watch and keel over laughing at the dog...The dog was crazy...I dreaded waking up most mornings.. because the second you made a sound getting up, he would have ran like a crazy hound up the stairs and he would dive on top of you while you lay in your bed, pawing you in the face..I think that was him saying - Ok you are awake, now move your rear end and get my breakfast, I also need to go and do a ka ka outside !!

• Like 1

You could simply relocate raccoons. They aren't a problem for a lot of people. My sister loves them and has six that she leaves food out for every day. I used to have quite a few of them around here, but I don't know what happened to them. I'd be happy to have them around again. :tu:

Marlon Brando kept a pet raccoon for a long time.. I read up on his biography and his friend was quoted ( Wally Cox ) he moved out of Brando's apartment because of the raccoon...he said it was crazy lol

Marlon Brando kept a pet raccoon for a long time.. I read up on his biography and his friend was quoted ( Wally Cox ) he moved out of Brando's apartment because of the raccoon...he said it was crazy lol

I don't think they should be kept as pets, but I love them hanging around. They are sooo cute!

How could you not love those faces!

Edited by Michelle