Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA 'killed more than 95% of dogs and cats

Still Waters

I don't think they should be kept as pets, but I love them hanging around. They are sooo cute!

How could you not love those faces!

You wouldn't see raccoon over here.. We do have a squirrel or two hanging around our front garden... We got this pouch of nuts and tied it to the tree so they can help themselves. The birds took a liking to the pouch more so !

The birds have it in for me too...they perch on the top of my conservatory roof ledge, turning their bottoms over the top aiming at my head all the time..I know they are planning a poop attack !! lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

You could simply relocate raccoons. They aren't a problem for a lot of people. My sister loves them and has six that she leaves food out for every day. I used to have quite a few of them around here, but I don't know what happened to them. I'd be happy to have them around again. :tu:

Actually it isn't good to relocate them. They carry many diseases and it is irresponsible to help spread them to other areas. It's also not good to just make them someone else's problem.

I don't think they should be kept as pets, but I love them hanging around. They are sooo cute!

How could you not love those faces!

When they kill your chickens and trash your garage.

Actually it isn't good to relocate them. They carry many diseases and it is irresponsible to help spread them to other areas. It's also not good to just make them someone else's problem.

So they should all be eradicated? Because of a possibility they have a disease? As i said, a lot of people enjoy having them around.

When they kill your chickens and trash your garage.

The majority don't have chickens and there are very easy ways to secure your trash. and property.

Edited by Michelle

So they should all be eradicated? Because of a possibility they have a disease? As i said, a lot of people enjoy having them around.

The majority don't have chickens and there are very easy ways to secure your trash. and property.

I did not say they should all be eliminated. However, if they are a nuisence to someone, it is better for them to kill them than to relocate them. In fact it is illegal in most states to relocate raccoons.

After a quick google search I found the following information. I didn't include a link because a google search for "relocating raccoons" brought up several pages of why it is wrong.

Animals dumped in another location have no idea where the food and water sources are. This often leads to starvation and death. Studies done on raccoons that were relocated support this finding. The animal will typically die within 2 weeks of being relocated.

Most likely you will be dumping this animal in the territory of another animal and this will lead to territory disputes, and often these fights lead to serious injuries and death.

If you capture a sick animal and transfer it to a healthy population, this spreads disease.

To me, it is the same as if I found a mouse had knawed a hole in a peice of my furniture. I would set mouse traps and try to get rid of them. I also swat mosquitoes and step on ants.

If raccoons are not bothering you, them by all means leave them be. If they are a pain for you, do not relocate them.

It's also illegal in a lot of states to trap and kill them.

• Like 1

In some states, but most allow you to trap and shoot if the raccoon is causing greif. Even if you do not follow the rules, it is better to kill them than relocate them.

Raccoons are not hunted like they once were. In many areas they have become quite the nuisence.

I agree that if they are not causing a problem, let them be. They are cute. I used to like them coming out when I was camping.

But if they are killing you animals and tearing through your trash, they have to go.

In some states, but most allow you to trap and shoot if the raccoon is causing greif. Even if you do not follow the rules, it is better to kill them than relocate them.

Raccoons are not hunted like they once were. In many areas they have become quite the nuisence.

I agree that if they are not causing a problem, let them be. They are cute. I used to like them coming out when I was camping.

But if they are killing you animals and tearing through your trash, they have to go.

Where I come from, if an animal is a nuisance ( like a fox going after chicken or whatever )..Some people would call the local wild life rescues or RSPCA to come and capture the animals and take them elsewhere....

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Were I come from, if an animal is a nuisance ( like a fox going after chicken or whatever )..Some people would call the local wild life rescues or RSPCA to come and capture the animals and take them elsewhere....

It is a common practice with bears that have wandered into towns or camping areas that have found out garbage bins are a good source of food.

It is a common practice with bears that have wandered into towns or camping areas that have found out garbage bins are a good source of food.

Well, a bear's gotta eat lol.. I have never been close to a bear. when I say I have never been close to a bear, I mean I have never seen one in real life ( sad I know ) Well if the zoo counts then yea I have .......But I mean, a bear just wondering around out doors or a raccoon for that matter.....Sometimes I wish we had the same wildlife over here.............Well we do have wild life.. many teenagers drunk of a Friday night outside a local night club..but sigh...we don't have what you could call interesting wildlife... There are wild life parks over here...but its not the same as what you guys would have in your own neck of the woods...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

LOL

My sister's brand new car was totally trashed by a bear because she left some mints in it. Another time there was a bear that tried to break in the door to their house. They don't lock the doors because of thieves, but against bears.

• Like 1

LOL

My sister's brand new car was totally trashed by a bear because she left some mints in it. Another time there was a bear that tried to break in the door to their house. They don't lock the doors because of thieves, but against bears.

Ha ha sorry for laughing, it's just normally people who break into cars is to pinch their stereos or cash...this bear breaks into your sisters car for a few breath mints lol.....Poor ole Yogie, always seeking those picnic baskets ha ha .......Again, sorry for laughing, its just funny to read a real life story of a bear trying to break into a car for mints or a house to most likely hoke around for food :P I am however glad no one got hurt...as I am sure it could be a bit of a fright seeing a bear breaking down your door eh?

I think this little one is cute though..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Where I come from, if an animal is a nuisance ( like a fox going after chicken or whatever )..Some people would call the local wild life rescues or RSPCA to come and capture the animals and take them elsewhere....

I wish I had that option for raccoons.

• Like 1

I thought about filing you away under poe, but something tells me you half way believe what you're saying is true. Either way, bravo.

Not half way, but completely :tu:

It would be nice if that empathy included humankind.

Why?

I bet most humans in prison choose life over death.

There's no way of knowing though is there? If they have a life sentence then many of them might well prefer to be dead.

I have 15 chickens. I keep them in a coop. They gbet let out to free range at least every other day. They have names and receive lots of attention from my wife and daughters as well as myself. Peta tells me that i am evil for eating their eggs. Peta is evil.

I'm sure they appreciate having names ........ that will certainly improve their quality of life.

I had to get rid of him. I didn't want to kill him, but I couldn't keep him (I do have 6-7 of his offspring). I drove 4 miles south and dropped him off in front of a farmhouse. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. It came down to life or death for him. I chose to at least give him a shot at life.

'Dropped him off in front of a farmhouse'............ :hmm:

........... and yet you chose to make your rooster 'someone elses problem' ..........

There's no way of knowing though is there? If they have a life sentence then many of them might well prefer to be dead.

But most would prefer to live.

........... and yet you chose to make your rooster 'someone elses problem' ..........

Yeah, it probably was not a wise decision. The next one will be in a wooded area without homes around.

I'm sure they appreciate having names ........ that will certainly improve their quality of life.

What's your point?

• Like 1

http://jas.fass.org/content/78/11/2821.full.pdf

Giving animals names and attention actually reduces stress and increases quality of life, as shown here in cattle and other studies in pigs and hens. Myles should have some well adjusted chickens :lol:

• Like 1

http://jas.fass.org/...1/2821.full.pdf

Giving animals names and attention actually reduces stress and increases quality of life, as shown here in cattle and other studies in pigs and hens. Myles should have some well adjusted chickens :lol:

Thanks. They are still chickens. I have noticed through several new hatchlings, that if they are held they will grow up to be more receptive of attention. We had one batch that we didn't interact with much at all. The 2 we have left from that group will not come up to us at all. All the others will come up and allow us to pet or pick them up. We also get almost an egg a day from our chickens. I know folks who cannot get many eggs. Chickens lay better is a stress-free environment.

http://jas.fass.org/...1/2821.full.pdf

From the animal's point of view it's the (appropriate)attention that's important, not the naming. The naming part seems to be important for the humans involved ....... which is interesting to me because, much further back in this topic, several people were scoffing at PETA for re-naming baby seals 'sea kittens'(I think I've got that right), in a desperate attempt to mobilise people into doing something about the brutal seal culls that are carried out each year. PETA knew that the majority of people are more likely to respond to a familiar,cute, cuddly creature(the kitten), than them simply telling it like it is. And here we have the human habit of naming animals, which means absolutely nothing to the animals themselves, but makes them more 'human' to their 'owners/carers', and therefore the owners find it easier to connect with and be more responsible for their pets(hopefully!).