Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The final resting place of Jesus found?

Still Waters

Archaeologists exploring a 1st century Christian burial chamber have discovered an ancient inscription on a coffin lid which they believe could prove the site is the final resting place of Jesus.

Using a remote-controlled camera connected to a robotic arm to probe below a tower block in Jerusalem, the archaeologists were staggered to discover a set of 1st century 'bone boxes'.

The lid on one of these limestone boxes, also known as ossuaries, carries an inscription in Greek which could be translated as 'Divine Jehovah, raise up, raise up'.

Another carries a drawing of a fish with a stick figure in its mouth which is believed to refer to the story of Jonah and the Whale - one of the very first Christian stories.

The find is 200ft away from an earlier discovery known as the Jesus Family Tomb, which caused a huge amount of controversy after it was uncovered in the 1980s.

Archaeologists then claimed it contained ossuaries inscribed with names associated with Jesus's family.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Another link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2128195/Jesus-discovery-Does-1st-Century-coffin-lid-Jerusalem-reveal-Jesus-resting-place.html

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2128195/Jesus-discovery-Does-1st-Century-coffin-lid-Jerusalem-reveal-Jesus-resting-place.html>

Edited by Karlis

Didn't he fly away? I wonder how far he got when he realised he couldn't breathe.

Hmmmm, that's pretty interesting. 'Divine Jehovah, raise up, raise up' sounds like if that's him buried there, where the legend came from that he was God and rose from the dead, that's what they were hoping for by the sounds of that inscription, but if they had time to make that box that way and write that, it doesn't seem to go along with the biblical story at all, maybe the hope became the "truth" at some point and the legend became history.

I must admit that I'm having difficulty seeing the picture as a fish with a stick figure. I can see that the portion on the right could be the tail of a fish, although the vertical striping seems a bit odd for detail. To me, it looks more like a vase or similar object on its side.

An interesting article, but it merely confirms what we already knew and scholars always had a hard time accepting, Christians were around as early as we always said we were.

Hmmmm, that's pretty interesting. 'Divine Jehovah, raise up, raise up' sounds like if that's him buried there, where the legend came from that he was God and rose from the dead, that's what they were hoping for by the sounds of that inscription, but if they had time to make that box that way and write that, it doesn't seem to go along with the biblical story at all, maybe the hope became the "truth" at some point and the legend became history.

Or it could be something far simpler, God, raise him up, raise him up. Which is what we all do when we ask God to take into his arms, those we love who have passed away.

Or it could be something far simpler, God, raise him up, raise him up. Which is what we all do when we ask God to take into his arms, those we love who have passed away.

Well said Jor-el. :tu: That would be what I would have thought.

Edited by Roddy

It could be, I'm just going by their translation though, sounds like it's telling Jehovah to raise up, not Jehovah to raise something up, but that's just by what they translated, but then why wouldn't they call him Jesus? You might have a good point.

Jesus will come down when we least expect it. Open the coffin and prepare for doomsday :devil:

"Jesus Family Tomb"? Would that include daddy too?

Tell us more, LOL

"And they will say he is in the secret chambers, but do not go. Where the carcus is, there the vultures will gather. For as lighting from the east can be seen even unto the west, so shall the coming of the son of man be"

I'm wondering how loose the translation is...

Additionally, wouldn't it be more likely for a Jewish relic to be inscribed in Aramaic rather than Greek?

I dont think anyone will like this if it is true, atheists and archaeologists definitely wont and will use anything to reject it, if there is a family in there the Christians wont like it because 1, he ascended they dont know where to but still it says he did so thats that 2, he was holy and wouldnt sin by having sex like his mum. Then the Jewish probably wont either. But I ask this, we have Einsteins body we know where it is and in hundreds of years time it will still be known. Does this mean his theories will be improved or will we have a greater understanding? I doubt it.

Edited by sutemi

The Jews in Jesus's time had no concept of individual resurection, so the quote on the coffin makes no sence at all. They awaited the resurection at the end of the age of everyone.

Edited by markdohle

Jesus ascended. So how could there be a final resting place?

Wasn't Jesus in spirit form during the ascension? I thought only the disciples were aware of his resurrection, and then witnessed his ascension shortly thereafter.

The Jews in Jesus's time had no concept of individual resurection, so the quote on the coffin makes no sence at all. They awaited the resurection at the end of the age of everyone.

Strange, the Tanakh had stories of resurrection.

But I ask this, we have Einstein’s body we know where it is and in hundreds of years’ time it will still be known. Does this mean his theories will be improved or will we have a greater understanding? I doubt it.

Well, not quite. (Albert) Einstein's body was cremated and his cremains scattered. In addition, that's a terrible analogy.

Wasn't Jesus in spirit form during the ascension? I thought only the disciples were aware of his resurrection, and then witnessed his ascension shortly thereafter.

Nathaniel 17

3 Amazed, Mary ran back to the others to tell them that Jesus' body was missing from the tomb.

4. But they did not believe her, for her words seemed like nonsense.

5. All of the Disciples ran to the tomb to check for themselves.

6 And there they found the dead body of Jesus.

7. "Oh Mary" said Peter, as he rolled his eyes "Verily, go and make us all Sammiches".

8. And Jesus' body decayed until all that was left were bones, which were later placed within an ossuary box, so that they could be discovered at a later date and filmed by James Cameron.

Worst resurrection story ever.

Edited by Tiggs

This is pretty cool... reminds me of a Ray Bradbury story!

Jesus ascended. So how could there be a final resting place?

Jesus body did not rise up. His spirit rose to heaven. " Behold the lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. Blessed are those invited to the supper of the lamb".