Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Project Alpha

Sakari

Just curious how many have heard about this......?

Was a new find for me.....And I hope this is the right section for this...

Project Alpha was a hoax designed by James Randi, Steve Shaw (a.k.a. Banachek), and Mike Edwardsprojectalpha.jpg from 1979-1983. Randi trained two young mentalists/magicians—Banachek was 18 and Edwards 17 when the project began—to fake psychic powers while being investigated in a serious scientific setting. They were able to fool the scientists for four years through more than 160 hours of experiments on their paranormal powers.

http://www.skepdic.com/projectalpha.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shiloh17

• Karlis

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Sakari

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why you got to love the internet. Tons of info at your fingertips, unlike 1979 when he started that project. No, never knew about it. Nice find though.

It jusat reinforces my belief that the Amazing Randi is the biggest pot stirrer in the world.

It jusat reinforces my belief that the Amazing Randi is the biggest pot stirrer in the world.

Depends what you mean by "pot stirrer". As I see it, Randi set out to achieve a specific, valid purpose; and was successful in doing so: an excerpt from the OP article;

It was a social experiment that was necessary to demonstrate a charge that skeptics had been making for over 150 years. Parapsychologists, no matter how intelligent or well-trained they are in science, are susceptible to deception and self-deception.