Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

T. rex bite was world's strongest

Still Waters

Tyrannosaurus rex had the most powerful bite of any creature that has ever walked the Earth, say scientists.

Previous estimates of the prehistoric predator's bite suggested it was much more modest - comparable to modern predators such as alligators.

This measurement, based on a laser scan of a T. rex skull, showed that its bite was equivalent to three tonnes - about the weight of an elephant.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kryso

• woopypooky

• King Fluffs

• spud the mackem

So basically it could just chomp you in half, without effort. :blink:

Tyrannosaurus has the worlds strongest bite... I really had no idea, Sherlock.

It amazes me how these guys come up with these theories,how do they know when there is nothing to compare with ?.We know that they were pretty nasty in their day,but was there not a much bigger predator that was discovered a while ago,maybe that had the strongest bite,so now these scientist chaps will be having an arguement as to which was the greatest.Oh well as long as it keeps them out of mischief,like trying to discover a cure for diseases etc,and doing something USEFULL instead of something which the average citizen does not care about,enough said....

Gets confusing. One minute these things are slow, scavengers. The next, top speed predators. Its not as if there tonnes of new evidence being dug up every day. I suppose they have to spend the grant of something :)

I do laugh at the comments on "They could be doing something useful" - Well yes, but that would require another 5 years of studying at University/College.... Palaeontologists and archaeologists are not medical doctors, they do not have such degrees, therefore they cannot research diseases.

Stuff like this has to be researched, stuff isn't black and white related to something. Just like you wouldn't think biology has anything to do with space travel, but it does. Same rules apply here. At least they've got a job and are contributing stuff to the scientific community. If it was not for the study of dinosaurs and so on we would never of come up with Extinction Event theories and other important lines of research.

Jerky was tough in those days so it probably needed that three tonne bite.

(shame about those wee arms though... lol)

Edited by Eldorado

It amazes me how these guys come up with these theories,how do they know when there is nothing to compare with ?.We know that they were pretty nasty in their day,but was there not a much bigger predator that was discovered a while ago,maybe that had the strongest bite,so now these scientist chaps will be having an arguement as to which was the greatest.Oh well as long as it keeps them out of mischief,like trying to discover a cure for diseases etc,and doing something USEFULL instead of something which the average citizen does not care about,enough said....

That may make sense if you were speaking in reference to actual medical scientists, and NOT paleontologists (whom, by definition, search for fossils of extinct creatures).

Secondly, it is a "theory", not 100% fact. However, it is the strongest bite that we have recorded so far.

Edited by Alienated Being

Maybe my math is off, but this isn't nearly as interesting as they make it sound to me. 30,000-60,000 newtons is about 3.0-6.0 tonne. Granted it IS an increase, but according to this article, back in 2008 we were estimating a 3 tonne bite force on the T-rex already. And much higher on the Megalodon, around 18 tonne.

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2008/08/prehistoric_great_white_shark_had_strongest_bite_in_history.php

It also says a modern white shark can exert a 1.8 tonne bite.

::edit::

I'm thinking those numbers are wrong though, and perhaps the shark article as well. Stupid conversions.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

wow how stupid and uninteresting...i thought my misses had the strongest bite

• 4 weeks later...

SHOCKER!!! (no, not really)