Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

RIP Davy Jones, Monkees Singer And Pop Idol

RockabyeBillie

​Davy Jones, lead singer of '60s pop sensations and television band The Monkees has died at the age of 66 in his hometown of Indiantown, Florida, according to the Martin County medical examiner's office. He suffered a heart attack.

The Monkees were created initially to be a sort of "safe" Beatles by record and TV producers in 1965, but ended up making hit singles, a cult TV series, and a film, 1968's Head, which would prove to be one of the first salvos of the psychedelic era. The film stands even today as one of the freakiest artifacts of that era.

Source

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• psyche101

• StarMountainKid

• Still Waters

Makes me sad, I always liked that guy as a Monkey.

Just got word that Davey Jones of the Monkeys passed away.

They had some good tunes back in the 60's.

Ohhhh! :cry: He always seemed so sweet and was my first crush.

RIP, darlin'.

That's sad. Haven't seen him or thought of him in so long. He still looked the same only older. LOL. Some people change so much you don't recognize them. I liked that group when I was a kid.

R.I.P. I'm another girl who had a crush on Davy before I was old enough to understand what a crush was. I watched the TV show as re-runs all the time as a child.

Best episode of the Brady Bunch ever. RIP Davy Jones.

The Monkees' impact on modern music is huge. They essentially invented the music video and Mike Nesmith was the brainchild behind MTV.

I crushed on Mike :) Davy was, meh, teen fodder to me.

Bummer that Davy died. Not surprising though. He had a good life and died of natural causes. Better than a crazy self inflicted stupid. Maybe that's why a lot of people seem to be hit by this. It wasn't crazy life like drugs or questionable sex practices.. It was age and natural causes. Sort of makes people think about mortality in a more, er, "it could happen to me" kind of way. Does not hurt that he was the first crush for a lot of people too of course.

It's a shame he died at only 66, which is pretty young nowadays. Hey, at least it seems he had a good quality life (unlike some celebs).

So sad :cry:

Edited by Funky Poacher

A local TV station is having a Monkee's marathon. I've had it on all day while cleaning house and can still remember the words to most of their songs.

Edited by Michelle

There goes another good memory of my childhood. I loved that show. Still love the music. RIP Davy.

The Earth just lost another great singer..RIP.

I'm a big fan of The Monkees; this is really sad news.

66 is a bit young to go IMO.. I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face.. RIP Davy Jones

The remaining members of the Monkees are unlikely to attend the funeral of singer Davy Jones this week, his former bandmate Micky Dolenz has revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17283453

It's a shame they can't go I think.