Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What does the word Amen really mean?

lyoung1101

What does the word "Amen" really mean? I know the dictionary and wikipedia will give you the definition that it means "affirmative" or "so be it". However I've read that the Egyptian god Ra was renamed Amen-Ra because of his absence from Egypt...? Evidently "amen" meant one is absent or hidden?? If there are any Egyptologist out there I would really appreciate your input on this question, because I figure you people might know...

So that's my question, pretty simple actually...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lyoung1101

• tomt

• Habitat

• Royal

I don't know, but I have seen Amun-Ra, Ammon-Ra, Amon-Ra, and maybe Amen-Ra ? but only "amen" as an ending to a prayer.

I don't know, but I have seen Amun-Ra, Ammon-Ra, Amon-Ra, and maybe Amen-Ra ? but only "amen" as an ending to a prayer.

Good point. I may have read it wrong. I definitely have seen Amun-Ra. I will have to go back and look again. Thanks man.

What does the word "Amen" really mean? I know the dictionary and wikipedia will give you the definition that it means "affirmative" or "so be it". However I've read that the Egyptian god Ra was renamed Amen-Ra because of his absence from Egypt...? Evidently "amen" meant one is absent or hidden?? If there are any Egyptologist out there I would really appreciate your input on this question, because I figure you people might know...

So that's my question, pretty simple actually...

From what I've read the Hebrew word "amen" {meaning "so be it"} evolved from the name of Sumerian god Anu.The Egyptians worshipped entities called Amen and Aten and this was reflected in the names of the pharoah's of that time:Amenhotep/Akenaten,Tutankhaten/Tutankhamen.

My history teacher said they stole it from the Egyptians who would praise Amun after they spoke, so that converting to Christianity (or whatever) would be easier (I think) :blush: