Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 Stages of a Christian Internet Controversy

Link of Hyrule

Someone on the Internet Is Wrong: The 10 Stages of a Christian Internet Controversy

Has it really been almost a year since Rob Bell’s Love Wins trailer?

When the social media backlash began, I noticed that the responses to Bell were nearly identical to what John Piper received the year before when he made his tornado comments. Now, a year later, the tables have turned again and Piper’s comments that Christianity has a “masculine feel” have prompted his detractors to follow the same script right down to the call to stop giving Piper attention.

So before the next controversy hits, I’ve attempted to catalog a step-by-step (and tongue-in-cheek) account of what happens when a popular Christian leader says or does something deemed important by his or her frenemies.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Just something I randomly found while searching. Enjoy :tu:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Link of Hyrule

• karmakazi

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome and it applies to all the internets too, not just the Christian debates. Sigh. Funny and true.

Oh and....

Also, BibleGateway and YouVersion see a spike in searches for Matt 18:15-20.

I'm guilty as charged! :P

That's awesome and it applies to all the internets too, not just the Christian debates. Sigh. Funny and true.

Oh and....

I'm guilty as charged! :P

Lol, I have to say I'm not immune to that either (though I prefer my own Bible to Biblegateway or other such - but I think that's just personal opinion here). And you're right, the article does apply to other controversial issues, not just those revolving around Christianity (though some of the later "stages" might be borne out quite differently to the Christian controversy. It's just that when it comes to debates within Christianity itself there is a somewhat interesting expectation that those who disagree should do so "lovingly" and those who agree should "not be boastful or proud". Neither statement can regularly be applied to people arguing on the internet (Christian or otherwise) where the usual run of discussion resembles the following cartoon:

wrong-on-internet.png

Anyway, thanks for sharing (I know I posted that picture in another thread, but it works here just as easily)...

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

I do love that picture :) The internet has brought quite a new dimension to human interaction, the ability to be faceless and just walk away from anything you've said/done with little to no consequence IRL. It's good in a way though, because it lets shy people who normally don't jump in conversations do so (that would be me)

I don't pull out my actual bible a whole lot because it's a family heirloom and I don't want to make it age any faster than it already is :D Also B.G. has the YLT which is my preferred translation. So yeah, to each his own ^_^