Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children at risk from 'witch finders'

Saru

Yep everyone is "holier than thou" in these things, everyone thinks the best of themselves and to continue to do so they have to put others down and harm them - it's all about power. Those that do the accusing will not face their own failings, they will blame others for what is wrong with their lives, even their own children or the children of neighbours etc.

The ones doing the so called exorcisms are in effect practicing "black magick" in it's vilest form by fascinating the masses with their "power" to find and gid rid of "witches", it's pure craziness.

Too much of the holier than though going around.. it is like some illness spreading ...Make one ill reading some of it too lol

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Mr Walker

• Meiliken

• Paracelse

Too much of the holier than though going around.. it is like some illness spreading ...Make one ill reading some of it too lol

It is a disease, I agree there is always something new people manage to do that makes you think "what else can humanity be capable of" there's always a new low blow and it makes me ashamed to be human sometimes. If aliens came, I am not sure I would blame them if they swatted us all like flies.

It is a disease, I agree there is always something new people manage to do that makes you think "what else can humanity be capable of" there's always a new low blow and it makes me ashamed to be human sometimes. If aliens came, I am not sure I would blame them if they swatted us all like flies.

That's my exact thought. I'm actually hoping that happens. Mankind needs to be knocked down a peg. Afterall, what do we have to offer the cosmos? Oh that's right, barbarism. :no::hmm:

That's my exact thought. I'm actually hoping that happens. Mankind needs to be knocked down a peg. Afterall, what do we have to offer the cosmos? Oh that's right, barbarism. :no::hmm:

While there is a lot to be said in galactic terms for a certain militant barbarism and atavistic primitivism (as cordwainer smith, fred saberhagen, robert heinlein and others, point out) it seems more likely that humans will not organise and utilise resources effectively enough to get off planet while they remain divided by forces of racism materialism and nationalism.

If we should mature enough to get off this planet we will, ipso facto, have a great deal to offer the cosmos.

While there is a lot to be said in galactic terms for a certain militant barbarism and atavistic primitivism (as cordwainer smith, fred saberhagen, robert heinlein and others, point out) it seems more likely that humans will not organise and utilise resources effectively enough to get off planet while they remain divided by forces of racism materialism and nationalism.

If we should mature enough to get off this planet we will, ipso facto, have a great deal to offer the cosmos.

Aye, I've zero faith in humanity to come together. The original story in this posting shows we can't come together as one race. The human race makes me sick. That's why I like the wars of the world. The more stupid people that die, the fewer there are to pollute the rest of the human race. The mere term "racism" makes no sense since there is only one sentient race, human. If we ever do lose those weaknesses in mankind, then things like killing children based on fantasy will go the way of the dodo.

Aye, I've zero faith in humanity to come together. The original story in this posting shows we can't come together as one race. The human race makes me sick. That's why I like the wars of the world. The more stupid people that die, the fewer there are to pollute the rest of the human race. The mere term "racism" makes no sense since there is only one sentient race, human. If we ever do lose those weaknesses in mankind, then things like killing children based on fantasy will go the way of the dodo.

You are a member of the human race. The rest of us are no better or worse than you are, or can be. Same with me. And that is why I hold out hope for humanity, because I hold out hope for myself. I am capable of loving and giving and caring and helping and i do. I make a positive differnce to many people and lives. And so can any human being.

None of them are inherently any better or worse; more capable or less capable than me of making a difference.

As to our future. History will judge us. It is possible we may make oursleve extinct or revert to barbarism; or least worse case, maintain a basic level of civilised behaviour but never get off planet.

However with work, education and effort. humans can mature. They can re-engineer them selves physically and emotionally. They can leave behind this planet and eventually they can become important and significant contributors to the nature/future of our galaxy and perhaps even our universe .

That is because of what we are, and what we are capable of. There is no inherent limit on what humans can achieve, because of our imagination combined with our physical ability to manipulate our environment(s).

You are a member of the human race. The rest of us are no better or worse than you are, or can be. Same with me. And that is why I hold out hope for humanity, because I hold out hope for myself. I am capable of loving and giving and caring and helping and i do. I make a positive differnce to many people and lives. And so can any human being.

None of them are inherently any better or worse; more capable or less capable than me of making a difference.

As to our future. History will judge us. It is possible we may make oursleve extinct or revert to barbarism; or least worse case, maintain a basic level of civilised behaviour but never get off planet.

However with work, education and effort. humans can mature. They can re-engineer them selves physically and emotionally. They can leave behind this planet and eventually they can become important and significant contributors to the nature/future of our galaxy and perhaps even our universe .

That is because of what we are, and what we are capable of. There is no inherent limit on what humans can achieve, because of our imagination combined with our physical ability to manipulate our environment(s).

I should probably detail my faith in humanity. I may have no faith in humanity to come together, but I do believe in the advancement of technology. But remember, having faith in humanity, and having hope for humanity, is not the same thing. I hope very fervently that mankind comes together and loses the petty weaknesses they have, but I have lost my faith in them. Especially not in my lifetime. I'll be most pleasantly, gloriously, surprised if they do and I get to see it. Afterall, cellphones are basically communicators akin to what they used in Star Trek. ;)

I should probably detail my faith in humanity. I may have no faith in humanity to come together, but I do believe in the advancement of technology. But remember, having faith in humanity, and having hope for humanity, is not the same thing. I hope very fervently that mankind comes together and loses the petty weaknesses they have, but I have lost my faith in them. Especially not in my lifetime. I'll be most pleasantly, gloriously, surprised if they do and I get to see it. Afterall, cellphones are basically communicators akin to what they used in Star Trek. ;)

In 2005 we, along with seveal hundred other peole lost all we possessed in a bushfire. Over a hundred homes were destroyed, and 9 lives were lost. What happend after that changed my opinon about humanity forever, and for the better.

Hundrds of local people and many thousands of Austrlaians donated money goods etc to us(my wife and I particularly If you counted al the peole who hgave to all those affected it ws in the hundreds of thousands.) They made beautiful quilts in groups and as individuals. we had offers of homes to stay in free for as long as we needed , and people walked up off the street and handed us cash (from 50 to 1000 dollars at a time) Churches commuity organisations shops and others worked together an dprovided for us all clothes foodstuffs and all the basic necessities of life. But it wasn't the material things it was the genuine and real compassion and care from our neighbours family communities and so many australians that brought me to tears. We gained so much more than we lost in that experience, and one thing i gained was a new appreciation for my fellow human beings.

In 2005 we, along with seveal hundred other peole lost all we possessed in a bushfire. Over a hundred homes were destroyed, and 9 lives were lost. What happend after that changed my opinon about humanity forever, and for the better.

Hundrds of local people and many thousands of Austrlaians donated money goods etc to us(my wife and I particularly If you counted al the peole who hgave to all those affected it ws in the hundreds of thousands.) They made beautiful quilts in groups and as individuals. we had offers of homes to stay in free for as long as we needed , and people walked up off the street and handed us cash (from 50 to 1000 dollars at a time) Churches commuity organisations shops and others worked together an dprovided for us all clothes foodstuffs and all the basic necessities of life. But it wasn't the material things it was the genuine and real compassion and care from our neighbours family communities and so many australians that brought me to tears. We gained so much more than we lost in that experience, and one thing i gained was a new appreciation for my fellow human beings.

Too bad that kind of thing never happens here. I'll believe mankind has gotten better when I can leave my doors unlocked at home and even in my office at work. Mankind is circling the drain when you(rightly so)suspect everyone around you of vileness. People can't be trusted.

Edited by Meiliken

Too bad that kind of thing never happens here. I'll believe mankind has gotten better when I can leave my doors unlocked at home and even in my office at work. Mankind is circling the drain when you(rightly so)suspect everyone around you of vileness. People can't be trusted.

Yes I am fortunate. We never lock our house doors, even at night, and while i try not to, i canleave the car keys and wallet inmy car all night and know they wil be safe Not even any graffiti.

Yep everyone is "holier than thou" in these things, everyone thinks the best of themselves and to continue to do so they have to put others down and harm them - it's all about power. Those that do the accusing will not face their own failings, they will blame others for what is wrong with their lives, even their own children or the children of neighbours etc.

The ones doing the so called exorcisms are in effect practicing "black magick" in it's vilest form by fascinating the masses with their "power" to find and gid rid of "witches", it's pure craziness.

I've always thought people who believed in fantasy to be irrational. Though I'll always fight for a persons right to follow such a belief. If they don't accept empirical testable evidence, then what can you do. I take those people with a grain of salt since it seems to be most of the people in the world.

I've always thought people who believed in fantasy to be irrational. Though I'll always fight for a persons right to follow such a belief. If they don't accept empirical testable evidence, then what can you do. I take those people with a grain of salt since it seems to be most of the people in the world.

I dont think you get the point. If a belief in fantasy promotes positive outcomes, then the belief in fantasy is not irrational it is absolutely rational.

The actual existence of a real god is not relevant here. We are talking about the power of belief and particualarly of faith. Reality Of the thing believed in has nothing to do with this.

It is this power of belief and faith which creates new realities. You may never have experienced it, but it is a live physical force which you can feel in your body It heals it promots joy, it takes away fear and pain and anger. It replaces envy with compassion; hate with love vengeance with forgiveness..

And all both psychologically and physically, because our mind, our emotions, our thoughts etc are all physical things which are interconnected to our physical body biology and metabolism. As a teenager i could slow my metabolism down enough to hold my breath underwater for more than 5 minutes. That is how critically belief and body are interconnected. Belief can stop panic and save lives in emergency situations. It is incredibly powerful whether or not the entity believed in has an indpendent existence or not.

I dont think you get the point. If a belief in fantasy promotes positive outcomes, then the belief in fantasy is not irrational it is absolutely rational.

The actual existence of a real god is not relevant here. We are talking about the power of belief and particualarly of faith. Reality Of the thing believed in has nothing to do with this.

It is this power of belief and faith which creates new realities. You may never have experienced it, but it is a live physical force which you can feel in your body It heals it promots joy, it takes away fear and pain and anger. It replaces envy with compassion; hate with love vengeance with forgiveness..

And all both psychologically and physically, because our mind, our emotions, our thoughts etc are all physical things which are interconnected to our physical body biology and metabolism. As a teenager i could slow my metabolism down enough to hold my breath underwater for more than 5 minutes. That is how critically belief and body are interconnected. Belief can stop panic and save lives in emergency situations. It is incredibly powerful whether or not the entity believed in has an indpendent existence or not.

Don't get me wrong, I do know that mind over body works. I do experience it though my form is not how others do it. When I get hurt, I simply will the pain away. Same with sickness. Or your slowing your metabolism(heart rate) underwater. ;)

I do not teach children that young. I deal with those between 12 and 18. As far as i can estimate from observation, conversatations and their responses, most of them, over the last 40 years of teaching, do notthink like adults. They simply cannot do, becuse significant physical parts of their brains are not yet existent. However in part it depends how they have been brought up to think. Some are completely skeptical of everything, because they are taught to be by their parents . Most are basically accepting of serious opinion from an adult like me, because they are taught to be. Kids are also, basically, open to anything from ghosts ot aliens to angels. They have their own beliefs about these things, and havent been ground down by the worldly cynicism and disbeliefs of adults.

Formal concrete operations kicks in about 12 some argue 11, some say 13. Anyways the brain maturation begins at this time. You can almost see the light go on.

They are capable of high order reasoning, can think creatively and can imagine various outcomes abstractly, and problem solve.Have you ever seen a teenager in action? Lol Interestingly these are the same things adults can do.

Now a younger kid below 11 will be as the kids you describe. They are not clear on the line between reality and make beleive.

I'd say by 7 or 8 at the latest a kid can discern the difference.

Generally around school age you this world of make beleive disappear.

Don't get me wrong, I do know that mind over body works. I do experience it though my form is not how others do it. When I get hurt, I simply will the pain away. Same with sickness. Or your slowing your metabolism(heart rate) underwater. ;)

Ok. To do this by oneself takes; some knowledge, a bit of training/practice, and considerable will power. The same effects, or even greater ones, can be gained very easily and simply by just believing in something. Some might see it as "cheating", but for me it makes this ability available to many more people.

Formal concrete operations kicks in about 12 some argue 11, some say 13. Anyways the brain maturation begins at this time. You can almost see the light go on.

They are capable of high order reasoning, can think creatively and can imagine various outcomes abstractly, and problem solve.Have you ever seen a teenager in action? Lol Interestingly these are the same things adults can do.

Now a younger kid below 11 will be as the kids you describe. They are not clear on the line between reality and make beleive.

I'd say by 7 or 8 at the latest a kid can discern the difference.

Generally around school age you this world of make beleive disappear.

I general, this is correct. However, some of what you call "make believe" is actually a result of a different way of thinking, and of processing data. If a child can hold onto that way of thinking and processing, into adulthood, it gives them another tool in their intellectual tool box. Many adults, particularly in any creative line of work, are very successful, primarily because they never lose that childlike abilty; and many adults miss out on a great deal of the wonder of life because they can no longer think and perceive like a child does.

Edited by Mr Walker

I general, this is correct. However, some of what you call "make believe" is actually a result of a different way of thinking, and of processing data. If a child can hold onto that way of thinking and processing, into adulthood, it gives them another tool in their intellectual tool box. Many adults, particularly in any creative line of work, are very successful, primarily because they never lose that childlike abilty; and many adults miss out on a great deal of the wonder of life because they can no longer think and perceive like a child does.

MW to reach the maturation that is called formal concrete operations doesn't ruin ones creativity, it adds to it..:tu:

Nor does it strip one of their ability to appreciate seeing things with child like wonder.

My goodness look at what Mozart accomplished, or Beethoven or Einstein or Steven Hawking etc. as young adults.

For me higher thinking is very important for teens because the things they think, strongly influence their behaviors and the experiences they find themselves involved in.

If I was to encourage the pre operational thinking that you are advocating I'd be rendering my kids incapable of (eventually) caring for themselves or being able to adapt to the world as it is.

I want my kids to know more; I want them to understand better.

I want the locus of control to be internally motivated. :tu:

I want them to be able to think so they can solve problems, and I want them to explore by asking questions that lead to more questions.

I can definitely see how with young kids (3-6)the world of make beleive is a great way to make learning fun, but eventually a kid needs to know that they are going to become productive adults who can discern the difference .

IMO and experience Teachers help guide this process.

Edited by Sherapy

MW to reach the maturation that is called formal concrete operations doesn't ruin ones creativity, it adds to it..:tu:

Nor does it strip one of their ability to appreciate seeing things with child like wonder.

My goodness look at what Mozart accomplished, or Beethoven or Einstein or Steven Hawking etc. as young adults.

For me higher thinking is very important for teens because the things they think, strongly influence their behaviors and the experiences they find themselves involved in.

If I was to encourage the pre operational thinking that you are advocating I'd be rendering my kids incapable of (eventually) caring for themselves or being able to adapt to the world as it is.

I want my kids to know more; I want them to understand better.

I want the locus of control to be internally motivated. :tu:

I want them to be able to think so they can solve problems, and I want them to explore by asking questions that lead to more questions.

I can definitely see how with young kids (3-6)the world of make beleive is a great way to make learning fun, but eventually a kid needs to know that they are going to become productive adults who can discern the difference IMO and experience.

Teachers help guide this process.

Again, i disagree that there actually is a total differnce/disconnect between reality and make believe. We are, what we are in our heads, and All of that, to certain extent, is make believe. The trick is to be both functional and productive. This can be done by reatining the abilty to see the world as a child does, while also being able to swap into adult mode. Most great writers poets panters and particulalrly fimmakers sem to have this ability. Most "fun" peole are like this . As adults we are conned into the idea that life is serious and important. It is not. I live life by the rules of calvin ball. It works very well for me.

I dont disagree with you totally, just, perhaps, on the importance of retaining that child's way of seeing and relating to the world, while learning logic and rational thinking. Why shouldn't an adult have an imaginary friend, (or many)for example. Why cant an adult relate to, and live within, stories and "fantasy" worlds of books, movies and the imagination?

Our mind does not discriminate between thoughts/memories we imagine/dream ,or experience. We only differntiate them via contextual material.

So again, any experience; self created, lived via dreams, movies or books, or lived in "real" life, is as real and valid as any other, once it enters our conscious self awareness.

Again, i disagree that there actually is a total differnce/disconnect between reality and make believe. We are, what we are in our heads, and All of that, to certain extent, is make believe. The trick is to be both functional and productive. This can be done by reatining the abilty to see the world as a child does, while also being able to swap into adult mode. Most great writers poets panters and particulalrly fimmakers sem to have this ability. Most "fun" peole are like this . As adults we are conned into the idea that life is serious and important. It is not. I live life by the rules of calvin ball. It works very well for me.

I dont disagree with you totally, just, perhaps, on the importance of retaining that child's way of seeing and relating to the world, while learning logic and rational thinking. Why shouldn't an adult have an imaginary friend, (or many)for example. Why cant an adult relate to, and live within, stories and "fantasy" worlds of books, movies and the imagination?

Our mind does not discriminate between thoughts/memories we imagine/dream ,or experience. We only differntiate them via contextual material.

So again, any experience; self created, lived via dreams, movies or books, or lived in "real" life, is as real and valid as any other, once it enters our conscious self awareness.

I am looking at this through the lens of education, would you agree a teacher must exclude him or herself from the tenets of theory. In other words personal beliefs have to be separate.

Because as educators we are making kids strategy makers/ problem solvers and we do teach sound thinking.

On a personal level what path works for you or what conclusions you draw, well that is your call.

I am looking at this through the lens of education, would you agree a teacher must exclude him or herself from the tenets of theory. In other words personal beliefs have to be separate.

Because as educators we are making kids strategy makers/ problem solvers and we do teach sound thinking.

On a personal level what path works for you or what conclusions you draw, well that is your call.

No. Kodern children won't readily accept theoretical knowledge, standing alone. The best way to teach a child is to have them trust and believe in (and respect as a person) the one teaching them. Thus, rather than separating self from theory, a good teacher puts self as a model, exemplar, tutor, etc. If a student sees sincerity, knowledge, and no hypocrisy or dichotomy between what a teacher says and how they act, and a high level of functionality and success in their teacher, then they are far more likely to accept, believe, and "take on board" what the teacher is "selling."

No. Kodern children won't readily accept theoretical knowledge, standing alone. The best way to teach a child is to have them trust and believe in (and respect as a person) the one teaching them. Thus, rather than separating self from theory, a good teacher puts self as a model, exemplar, tutor, etc. If a student sees sincerity, knowledge, and no hypocrisy or dichotomy between what a teacher says and how they act, and a high level of functionality and success in their teacher, then they are far more likely to accept, believe, and "take on board" what the teacher is "selling."

Well put Mr Walker... You are exactly on the money with that logic...

I do not think I was clear on what I was asking.

What I meant by tenets on theory was our personal testimony on the validity of an idea or philosophy has to be set aside, in other words we have to be as objective as possible and teach children to question. To look for evidence when new ideas are being presented.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

On your post;

I've seen kids who really like their teacher, and that is a wonderful thing, they may be more willing to try, but in and of itself this would not be the whole teaching picture. There are so many dynamics that go into a successful student, IMO the parents more then anything are the biggest factor as well as the student themselves.The teacher has a role, an important one, but the good ones IMO work in tandem with the parents. I will not even tutor a child who does not have a family that is 100 percent on board. Nor do I allow/encourage anyone of my tutees families to lay credit on me alone.

IMO it is the families and kids that deserve the accolades.

Edited by Sherapy

I do not think I was clear on what I was asking.

What I meant by tenets on theory was our personal testimony on the validity of an idea or philosophy has to be set aside, in other words we have to be as objective as possible and teach children to question. To look for evidence when new ideas are being presented.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

On your post;

I've seen kids who really like their teacher, and that is a wonderful thing, they may be more willing to try, but in and of itself this would not be the whole teaching picture. There are so many dynamics that go into a successful student, IMO the parents more then anything are the biggest factor as well as the student themselves.The teacher has a role, an important one, but the good ones IMO work in tandem with the parents. I will not even tutor a child who does not have a family that is 100 percent on board. Nor do I allow/encourage anyone of my tutees families to lay credit on me alone.

IMO it is the families and kids that deserve the accolades.

I wanted to add this too, I asked my boys how liking their teachers contributed to the learning process, my youngest said they can make a subject/school more bearable, but that was about it as far as that goes for him, it doesn't contribute much in the way of learning he has to do that. My middle son (18) will not even deal with a teacher who is mean, he transfers out. He said High School has enough pressures academically and sports wise without some ******* teacher and he said some of them are downright disrespectful.

I think it is a good thing you are kid friendly, good for you.:tu:

So on that note I do think it is awesome you try and get along with your students.

Edited by Sherapy

:rolleyes:

Rapport-Building: Creating Positive Emotional Contexts for Enhancing Teaching and Learning

The ability to stimulate strong positive emotions in students separates the competent from the outstanding college teacher. (Lowman, 1995)

Like most of us who read Teaching Tips columns, Sara Jamison takes her teaching seriously. She looks forward to being in the classroom, although if truth be told, some days are better than others. She prepares well-organized lectures; experiments with new in-class activities; poses challenging questions on her exams; worries about her students’ intellectual growth; and reads voraciously, trying to stay atop her courses. Sara seems to go all out in her attempt to be an effective teacher.

Nonetheless, she feels uncomfortable in class. Sometimes she senses a chasm between herself and her students. Her students respect her, but they are ambivalent about whether they would take another course from her. Many don’t feel comfortable expressing their ideas in class and others feel disconnected from Sara and her subject matter.

Of course, Sara Jamison is fictitious. We created her to reflect those of us who, despite our best efforts to become more effective teachers, come up short. Sara represents an amalgamation of those qualities reflective of effective teaching, but which alone don’t make our teaching truly outstanding. Such qualities may be necessary for effective teaching, but not sufficient. So-what is missing from Sara’s teaching?

Sara’s teaching seems to lack rapport, which the Random House Dictionary (1987) defines as “an especially harmonious or sympathetic connection” (p. 1601). Spanning the chasm between Sara and her students-or between any teacher and set of students-requires rapport-building: creating emotional connections between teacher and student and between student and subject matter. In this article, we reflect on the nature of rapport, offer simple suggestions for building rapport, and highlight some of the contributions that it brings to our teaching.

The Nature of Rapport and its Influence on Effective Teaching

Rapport is tricky to understand. Perhaps that is why the voluminous literature on college and university teaching essentially ignores it. Since rapport is more of a contextual variable that sets the stage for effective teaching, it has been avoided in favor of other variables, such as methods of teaching, modes of testing, and techniques of assessing teaching effectiveness, which can be more readily conceptualized and manipulated. Nonetheless, it is prudent to consider the role of rapport in our work if for no other reason than to explore its possible contributions to effective teaching.

RAPPORT AS AN EMERGENT PROPERTY

Establishing “an especially harmonious or sympathetic connection” with students is not likely the result of any single act. Rather, rapport is more likely the result of many things done consistently right. In this sense, rapport may be thought of as an emergent property of teaching, or, for that matter, any kind of social relationship. In general, we must do two things for rapport to develop. First, we must extend students a warm and friendly invitation to join the “community of learning” that we attempt to establish in our classrooms on the first day of class. Second, we must adopt this demeanor every day afterwards, in or out of class, and irrespective of the myriad problems that may develop over the course of the term.

Toward this end, Joseph Lowman argued that teachers must minimize the extent to which students experience negative emotions, such as anxiety and anger, and must attempt to create positive emotions in students such as self-efficacy and positive self-worth. This approach will help students feel that their teacher cares about them, encourage them to become motivated to do their best work, and think of their teacher in highly positive ways. The positive effects of rapport do not stop with students-they affect teachers as well. As Lowman noted his 1995 book, Mastering the Techniques of Teaching “. . .most college teachers enjoy classes more when they have good personal relationships with their students, and this satisfaction has a beneficial effect on the quality of their instruction” (p. 98).

RAPPORT AS AN ALLIANCE BASED ON TRUST

Another way of conceptualizing rapport between teachers and students is to think of it in the same way many therapists view the “therapeutic alliance” between themselves and their clients. This alliance is marked by four elements: (i) the extent to which client and therapist agree on the goals of therapy, (ii) the client’s ability to work toward those goals, (iii) the therapist’s empathy toward the client and the therapist’s involvement in the therapeutic process, and (iv) the emotional connection between client and therapist and the client’s commitment to therapy (Gaston, 1990).

Mapping this model onto the teacher-student relationship, we might view rapport as follows: (i) the extent to which students accept or “buy into” the goals the teacher has spelled out to the class, (ii) the student’s ability to work toward these goals, (iii) the teacher’s ability to care genuinely for students and to nurture their learning, and (iv) the student and teacher “connecting” emotionally and students’ motivation to participate actively in their education. As such, rapport is both process and outcome. It is a process because it involves a series of steps a teacher takes that must occur for rapport to develop. It is an outcome because it emerges only when the appropriate components are present in teaching situations, leading to more effective teaching.

Central to this alliance between student and teacher is trust. Consider the point that Stephen Brookfield makes in his 1990 book, The Skillful Teacher:

Trust between teachers and students is the affective glue that binds educational relationships together. Not trusting teachers has several consequences for students. They are unwilling to submit themselves to the perilous uncertainties of new learning. They avoid risk. They keep their most deeply felt concerns private. They view with cynical reserve the exhortations and instructions of teachers. (p. 162)

Clearly, trust is present in the alliance that forms between clients and effective therapists and between students and effective teachers. Whether in therapy or in teaching, such trust contributes to building rapport, enhancing motivation, and stimulating learning. If we wish students to join us as members of the community of learning, we must demonstrate to our students that we can be trusted.

RAPPORT AS CONNECTEDNESS

Akin to the notion of alliance is Parker J. Palmer’s concept of “connectedness.” In The Courage to Teach (1998), he argued that good teachers strive to forge connections between themselves and their subject matter and between themselves and their students. Such connections are the result of the individual “identity and integrity” of the teacher as it is expressed through whatever medium the teacher uses to teach. In Palmer’s words (1998):

. . .in every class I teach, my ability to connect with students, and to connect them with the subject, depends less on the methods I use than on the degree to which I know and trust my selfhood-and am willing to make it available and vulnerable in the service of learning. (p. 10)

Thus, teaching reveals our humanity, how we choose to define ourselves in our work, and the manner in which we relate to our subject matter, to our students, and to the larger world around us. If one wishes to “connect” with students-to establish rapport with them-one must expose at least part of one’s self to one’s students. To the extent that we are successful in this endeavor, we create an environment conducive to effective teaching, and by implication, effective learning.

RAPPORT UNVEILED

In our view, rapport is a positive emotional connection among students, teacher, and subject matter that emerges from the manner in which the teacher constructs the learning environment. Much of the framework is provided by the teacher’s disposition toward students, the subject matter, the educational process, and, in general, life. To the extent that student and teacher unite to achieve course goals, the learning environment favors increased student receptivity to the teacher and subject matter. Central to the development of such an alliance is the teacher’s sense of self, as reflected in such characteristics as trust and respect, and a willingness to involve students in the learning process.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2001/march-01/rapport-building-creating-positive-emotional-contexts-for-enhancing-teaching-and-learning.html

Good on you, Mr Walker, you sound like a real teacher. Some kids don't have families that are behind them, a true teacher would NEVER hold that against a student. A good teacher could overcome that, not refuse to teach them.

Edited by ChloeB

:rolleyes:

Rapport-Building: Creating Positive Emotional Contexts for Enhancing Teaching and Learning

The ability to stimulate strong positive emotions in students separates the competent from the outstanding college teacher. (Lowman, 1995)

Like most of us who read Teaching Tips columns, Sara Jamison takes her teaching seriously. She looks forward to being in the classroom, although if truth be told, some days are better than others. She prepares well-organized lectures; experiments with new in-class activities; poses challenging questions on her exams; worries about her students’ intellectual growth; and reads voraciously, trying to stay atop her courses. Sara seems to go all out in her attempt to be an effective teacher.

Nonetheless, she feels uncomfortable in class. Sometimes she senses a chasm between herself and her students. Her students respect her, but they are ambivalent about whether they would take another course from her. Many don’t feel comfortable expressing their ideas in class and others feel disconnected from Sara and her subject matter.

Of course, Sara Jamison is fictitious. We created her to reflect those of us who, despite our best efforts to become more effective teachers, come up short. Sara represents an amalgamation of those qualities reflective of effective teaching, but which alone don’t make our teaching truly outstanding. Such qualities may be necessary for effective teaching, but not sufficient. So-what is missing from Sara’s teaching?

Sara’s teaching seems to lack rapport, which the Random House Dictionary (1987) defines as “an especially harmonious or sympathetic connection” (p. 1601). Spanning the chasm between Sara and her students-or between any teacher and set of students-requires rapport-building: creating emotional connections between teacher and student and between student and subject matter. In this article, we reflect on the nature of rapport, offer simple suggestions for building rapport, and highlight some of the contributions that it brings to our teaching.

The Nature of Rapport and its Influence on Effective Teaching

Rapport is tricky to understand. Perhaps that is why the voluminous literature on college and university teaching essentially ignores it. Since rapport is more of a contextual variable that sets the stage for effective teaching, it has been avoided in favor of other variables, such as methods of teaching, modes of testing, and techniques of assessing teaching effectiveness, which can be more readily conceptualized and manipulated. Nonetheless, it is prudent to consider the role of rapport in our work if for no other reason than to explore its possible contributions to effective teaching.

RAPPORT AS AN EMERGENT PROPERTY

Establishing “an especially harmonious or sympathetic connection” with students is not likely the result of any single act. Rather, rapport is more likely the result of many things done consistently right. In this sense, rapport may be thought of as an emergent property of teaching, or, for that matter, any kind of social relationship. In general, we must do two things for rapport to develop. First, we must extend students a warm and friendly invitation to join the “community of learning” that we attempt to establish in our classrooms on the first day of class. Second, we must adopt this demeanor every day afterwards, in or out of class, and irrespective of the myriad problems that may develop over the course of the term.

Toward this end, Joseph Lowman argued that teachers must minimize the extent to which students experience negative emotions, such as anxiety and anger, and must attempt to create positive emotions in students such as self-efficacy and positive self-worth. This approach will help students feel that their teacher cares about them, encourage them to become motivated to do their best work, and think of their teacher in highly positive ways. The positive effects of rapport do not stop with students-they affect teachers as well. As Lowman noted his 1995 book, Mastering the Techniques of Teaching “. . .most college teachers enjoy classes more when they have good personal relationships with their students, and this satisfaction has a beneficial effect on the quality of their instruction” (p. 98).

RAPPORT AS AN ALLIANCE BASED ON TRUST

Another way of conceptualizing rapport between teachers and students is to think of it in the same way many therapists view the “therapeutic alliance” between themselves and their clients. This alliance is marked by four elements: (i) the extent to which client and therapist agree on the goals of therapy, (ii) the client’s ability to work toward those goals, (iii) the therapist’s empathy toward the client and the therapist’s involvement in the therapeutic process, and (iv) the emotional connection between client and therapist and the client’s commitment to therapy (Gaston, 1990).

Mapping this model onto the teacher-student relationship, we might view rapport as follows: (i) the extent to which students accept or “buy into” the goals the teacher has spelled out to the class, (ii) the student’s ability to work toward these goals, (iii) the teacher’s ability to care genuinely for students and to nurture their learning, and (iv) the student and teacher “connecting” emotionally and students’ motivation to participate actively in their education. As such, rapport is both process and outcome. It is a process because it involves a series of steps a teacher takes that must occur for rapport to develop. It is an outcome because it emerges only when the appropriate components are present in teaching situations, leading to more effective teaching.

Central to this alliance between student and teacher is trust. Consider the point that Stephen Brookfield makes in his 1990 book, The Skillful Teacher:

Trust between teachers and students is the affective glue that binds educational relationships together. Not trusting teachers has several consequences for students. They are unwilling to submit themselves to the perilous uncertainties of new learning. They avoid risk. They keep their most deeply felt concerns private. They view with cynical reserve the exhortations and instructions of teachers. (p. 162)

Clearly, trust is present in the alliance that forms between clients and effective therapists and between students and effective teachers. Whether in therapy or in teaching, such trust contributes to building rapport, enhancing motivation, and stimulating learning. If we wish students to join us as members of the community of learning, we must demonstrate to our students that we can be trusted.

RAPPORT AS CONNECTEDNESS

Akin to the notion of alliance is Parker J. Palmer’s concept of “connectedness.” In The Courage to Teach (1998), he argued that good teachers strive to forge connections between themselves and their subject matter and between themselves and their students. Such connections are the result of the individual “identity and integrity” of the teacher as it is expressed through whatever medium the teacher uses to teach. In Palmer’s words (1998):

. . .in every class I teach, my ability to connect with students, and to connect them with the subject, depends less on the methods I use than on the degree to which I know and trust my selfhood-and am willing to make it available and vulnerable in the service of learning. (p. 10)

Thus, teaching reveals our humanity, how we choose to define ourselves in our work, and the manner in which we relate to our subject matter, to our students, and to the larger world around us. If one wishes to “connect” with students-to establish rapport with them-one must expose at least part of one’s self to one’s students. To the extent that we are successful in this endeavor, we create an environment conducive to effective teaching, and by implication, effective learning.

RAPPORT UNVEILED

In our view, rapport is a positive emotional connection among students, teacher, and subject matter that emerges from the manner in which the teacher constructs the learning environment. Much of the framework is provided by the teacher’s disposition toward students, the subject matter, the educational process, and, in general, life. To the extent that student and teacher unite to achieve course goals, the learning environment favors increased student receptivity to the teacher and subject matter. Central to the development of such an alliance is the teacher’s sense of self, as reflected in such characteristics as trust and respect, and a willingness to involve students in the learning process.

http://www.psycholog...d-learning.html

Good on you, Mr Walker, you sound like a real teacher. Some kids don't have families that are behind them, a true teacher would NEVER hold that against a student. A good teacher could overcome that, not refuse to teach them.

Great article Chloe, as the article says there is a lot that goes into the educational journey. And, there is!

That MW sets a friendly example is awesome.

I think it is wonderful he found a way that works for him.

As I have found what works best for my style is mom and dad are on board too.

I think the rapport has to include the entire family, but I am in tutoring situations, not a classroom.

Great article very informative. :tu: