Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Born to be Wild: The People of the Woods

Still Waters

One of the areas of Cryptozoology that particularly fascinates me is that relative to so-called “Wild Men of the Woods.” Not so much Bigfoot-style creatures, but definitive “feral people” who, whether due to unfortunate circumstances or choice, have lived wild in the forests, and whose existence – particularly in centuries long past – may have ultimately provoked tales of savage, “hairy wild men” on the loose, when the reality may have been far more down to earth.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myles

• Still Waters

• spud the mackem

• U. N.Owen

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi M/s Still waters,I have read your article,very interesting,but refering to the modern day I know quite a lot of people who have decided to "drop out" of society and modern day stress,among them an ex solicitor,an ex professor of maths,and quite a few ex servicemen.These people live a happy existence doing, their own thing and dont bother other people,apart from shopping for supplies etc.They are scattered all over England,and when you do meet them briefly the all seem cheerfull and greet you with a wave or a "hello",but what I have noticed most of all is that if you are in a bit of difficulty,they chip in to help immediately and ask for no reward,and they certainly are not wild,apart from maybe needing a shave and haircut,and they are not tramps,just ordinary folk who have opted out of society..

Hi M/s Still waters,I have read your article,very interesting,but refering to the modern day I know quite a lot of people who have decided to "drop out" of society and modern day stress,among them an ex solicitor,an ex professor of maths,and quite a few ex servicemen.These people live a happy existence doing, their own thing and dont bother other people,apart from shopping for supplies etc.They are scattered all over England,and when you do meet them briefly the all seem cheerfull and greet you with a wave or a "hello",but what I have noticed most of all is that if you are in a bit of difficulty,they chip in to help immediately and ask for no reward,and they certainly are not wild,apart from maybe needing a shave and haircut,and they are not tramps,just ordinary folk who have opted out of society..

Nothing wrong with that. Except the smell.

Are you saying these English 'wild people' are actually living out in the woods rough? To be honest, even if they are, they just sound like tramps to me.

I first encountered the Green children of Woolpit back in the seventies when they were name checked in a book called `The Secret of the Ages` by Brinsley Le Poer Trench. He was a Hollow earth advocate, and so, naturally, his interpretation of their existence is that they were refugees from the inner earth! I think we can safely say the the Hollow Earth theory has long since been comprehensively smashed, if indeed it ever was worth the time of day to start with.( But...ah, Brinsley Le Poer Trench: you young guys just don't know what you missed!)

As regards feral humans: I am a firm believer in the existence of relict hominids in certain parts of the globe. However, I also acknowledge that some, some sightings can be attributed to human outcasts living in the wilds. There is a famous incident involving the great Russian novelist Ivan Turgenev where he relates of encountering what is sometimes called a yeti - but his actual description(alas!) sounds something more like a literal wild-woman. Likewise a small percentage of some of the `Abominable Snowman` tales may have been sparked off by glimpses of reclusive Asian Holy men.

Then there is the Australian Yowie. This is sometimes revealingly called - with the Australian gift for economy of description - the `Big Hairy Fella` and, indeed, there may be one or two reports which can be explained as people witnessing tall aboriginal outcasts (I believe the aborigines sometimes excommunicate their miscreants) who are covered with body hair.

As said,though, none of this would discount the whole Man-like apes phenomena!