Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

which the most powerful empire in History in

andes_wolf

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Bad Voodoo

• hetrodoxly

• questionmark

• Orcseeker

Is this some kind of macho contest?

Nah, just an extreme case of "mine is bigger than yours"

:devil:

Probably the classical Roman Empire, although the Mongol Empire may have matched it in influence.

But the Roman Empire brought so much change to such a wide expanse of the known (at the time) world. The Mongol Empire was vast, but it did not leave as lasting an imprint as the Roman Empire did.

And welcome to UM, andes_wolf.

Edited by Leonardo

Hackney?

215px-Hackney_empire_1.jpg

s4134.gif

Thank leonardo I mean the part they left a large memorial on where transit see if there is connection with other people who were Russians Turks from generation to generation and other ancient lineages but the Roman is a vast

Thank leonardo I mean the part they left a large memorial on where transit see if there is connection with other people who were Russians Turks from generation to generation and other ancient lineages but the Roman is a vast

There are no wolves in the Andes.

But there is some sort of South American 'fox' that has very long legs, and it lives on the pampas, but not in the Andes.

You are a Turk, right? "Grey Wolf", maybe?

There are many sites about Turks claiming to be the ancestors of American Indians.

Well, I have my own site, and I posted there about "Turks" from Tuva (maybe I should simply call them "Siberians") who claim to the be the one and only true ancestors of the Native Americans.

But there we have a problem: you people have facial hair, Native Americans, or the "First People", do not have much facial hair.

British Empire, ruled most of the Earth,brought technology to the globe, nuff said.

Come on, this is all about nationalistic bullcrap.

"The Turks ruled the earth"

No, they didn't and they never did.

I have read online discussions between Greeks and Turks, and it is too stupid to even post links to.

Edited by Abramelin

For ancient world I usually go with the Mongol Empire as the "Most Powerful". And Rome would be "Most Influential to the future".

The militarily most powerful empire ever would have to be the Soviet Union. They had as many as 45000 nuclear warheads in the 1980's.

US is the overall most powerful would have the be the USA. It still is the leader in nuclear capability and military prjection worldwide, as well as top politically and fincanically. Not that we are better, just that we have more influence in more places and more financial pull in more places then anyone else.

The Empire of the Yankee Dollar.

...drinking rum and coca-cola...

US is the overall most powerful would have the be the USA. It still is the leader in nuclear capability and military prjection worldwide, as well as top politically and fincanically. Not that we are better, just that we have more influence in more places and more financial pull in more places then anyone else.

and moreso than any other country in known History. The Mongols, the Romans...never had so much pull on the world like we do now. I suspect that balance will change eventually, i think were starting to see it now actually. As far as just finances, i heard that Bill Gates alone at one time had more money than any king throughout all of history, If he didn't donate his money away, he could probably funded his own powerful nation lol.

and moreso than any other country in known History. The Mongols, the Romans...never had so much pull on the world like we do now. I suspect that balance will change eventually, i think were starting to see it now actually. As far as just finances, i heard that Bill Gates alone at one time had more money than any king throughout all of history, If he didn't donate his money away, he could probably funded his own powerful nation lol.

Not quite, but his annual incoming surpasses the GDP of several of the poorer nations.

For ancient world I usually go with the Mongol Empire as the "Most Powerful". And Rome would be "Most Influential to the future".

The militarily most powerful empire ever would have to be the Soviet Union. They had as many as 45000 nuclear warheads in the 1980's.

Politically the US is hanging by a thread and by financially you mean in servers debt? China takes the crown for financial leader.

As for empire I would say the British empire, they had a hold of every powerful nation from those of Europe to India and china. As well as setting up colonies throughout the world.

Edited by Orcseeker

Politically the US is hanging by a thread and by financially you mean in servers debt? China takes the crown for financial leader.

As for empire I would say the British empire, they had a hold of every powerful nation from those of Europe to India and china. As well as setting up colonies throughout the world.

At our height we had control of over a billion people and complete economic, scientific and cultural haegemony over the planet.

The US doesnt even come close. Maybe if it conquered half of Africa, Canada, Austrailia, India, various countries around the Middle East, bits of Chima amd regions in Polynesia it would get closer but I cant see that happening.

It cant even beat the Taliban.

The problem here is that the question is formulated a little inadequately. What do we mean by powerful? Biggest extension? Largest number of client states? Most citizens? Most weapons?

For example that Turks above. While they certainly had a big geographical extend they were not a formidable military power, as proven by the fact that they were beaten twice by a insignificant little country that itself turned into a powerful nation by that, the Austrians. The Spaniards and the Venetians gave them a big black eye several times, and at the end some hardly armed Bedouins (incited by the British) gave them the rest.

If we say the Mongols, well they were out in force trying a big conquest but could not hold on to it for any significant time and where they could they were assimilated into the local culture. So hardly a big empire.

The Greeks was very temporal, in fact it started with Alexander and ended with Alexander. What looked like a big empire in reality was a big disorganized block where all the administration spoke Greek, but there the common ended.

The Romans probably were the great exception as both militarily and extension wise they could hold on for 5 centuries. So far the exception. But for that they had to borrow most of their culture from the Greek and other people they conquered.

So great empire is hardly a definition that we could hold to a standard. Therefore: choose whatever you want, you will be just as right as the next one.

The world turns and eventually someone will take over as #1.

China? Except that the US still has 2.5 times the GDP of China and 1/8th the citizens. The US is not hanging by a thread. It is hanging, but by a thick metal cable. But, if politics keeps going the way it is, that will eventually turn into a thread in like 20 to 50 years.

So are we going by "Most powerful for their time period", or "Most Powerful"? If by time period, we'll need to establish time periods. "Most Powerful" to me means any nation in history that has more power then any other.

I think even one division of US troops would reduce the 1800s British Empire to ashes. One US destroyer would blow the entire wooden hulled navy to splinters.

At our height we had control of over a billion people and complete economic, scientific and cultural haegemony over the planet.

The US doesnt even come close. Maybe if it conquered half of Africa, Canada, Austrailia, India, various countries around the Middle East, bits of Chima amd regions in Polynesia it would get closer but I cant see that happening.

Wiki says the British Empire maxed out at 458 million in 1938. Where are you getting 1 billion from?

Some of the Muslim Caliphates and the Mongol Empire had a much greater percentage of the world populations for their times.

The only reason the British Empire held more land then the Mongol Empire was that it included the wastelands (At the time) of Australia and Canada.